Does my coworker like me?

There is this guy at work whom I see as a great friend. He is very easy to talk to and easy going with everyone at work as I am. We are in our early 30's/late 20's. Sometimes I catch myself thinking of him even though I would not like to date him because I know it would not work out and I don't want to give it a try because: 1) he likes someone in the another dept and 2) I wouldn't want to lose such a fun friend. He is fun to chat and mess with. We were talking about something and mentioned spreading rumors and he went on saying he's going to spread a rumor about me even though he doesn't know how to lie well. My coworker said, "Why don't you guys say you are dating each other or got married over the weekend." We both busted up laughing and went back to work. I was going to spread a funny rumor about him collecting zip-loc bags or something. That was several days ago.

Today I came out of the restroom, he grabbed me by the arm and said to the other male coworkers whom we're all cool with, "She's my girlfriend now." And I jokingly put my arm around his shoulders and said, "I thought wife." He said, "Yeah, everyone, she's mine now." So we all went ha ha and then back to work (he works in another dept as well, so I don't see him everyday.) People know it as a joke because they know us. My other coworker whom is older and doesn't know him that well whispered to me, "Does he like you?" I said, "No, he's just playing. He likes another girl on HR."

My question is, he likes another girl in HR, but he jokes with me in that way. Do you think he likes me also or just playing around? I'm asking because I find myself somewhat liking him too, but don't want to do anything with it. If I found him unattractive and him wanting to spread a rumor like that I would quickly say no way, but since I think I like him I didn't mind him spreading the playful-rumor.

So do you think he likes me too? :o

Today I came out of the restroom, he grabbed me by the arm and said to the other male coworkers whom we're all cool with, "She's my girlfriend now." And I jokingly put my arm around his shoulders and said, "I thought wife." He said, "Yeah, everyone, she's mine now." So we all went ha ha and then back to work

This part really struck a chord with me. I went after a girl from my class at university the other month and the running joke (in addition to flirting etc.) between us was that we were Mr. and Mrs. X (our names start with the same letter). I'd do the whole "Yeah, we got married at Vegas" and she'd call me "Hubby".

I thought I made progress but she finally dropped the boyfriend bomb so that was the end of that. I don't know how it would look like from an objective perspective but from where I stand, I'm a bit weary.