Christmas Gift Question

I must be on a roll today because I never post this much, but I have a question for you guys. I just got a gift (via mail since he is in another state currently) from a guy friend of mine - it was very sweet and I most definitely was not expecting him to put effort into something for me. Let me be clear, I am tickled to death that he thought of me at all (on the gift totem pole), but like most women, now am analyzing it to death :p he bought me perfume.

ok guys, do guy friends normally do something like this for your gal pals(cause my other guy friends don't) or do you think there may be interest because of his sweet jesture? or maybe I just smell :o

would love to hear from a few on their thoughts. thanks.

Yup. Me too! ;)

Imagine this.

Guy friend wandering into the perfume department or boutique. A totally lost look on his face, overwhelmed by the smells and the sales ladies, all willing to spray him to test the products. Only a guy who's got a love interest, would brave this kind of sensory overload. :laugh:

ok guys, do guy friends normally do something like this for your gal pals(cause my other guy friends don't) or do you think there may be interest because of his sweet jesture? or maybe I just smell :o

I think you just smell!!! :lmao::lmao: smell like :sniff: :sniff:

you smell like sweet scented parfumed mistieyed!!! :)

It really depends, I've given perfume both out of interest to "perspectives" and to friends whom I know friend likes a certain perfume and ran out.

Did I brave the sales ladies and get squirted... yes I did but I also knew what exactly I was going for and got it. The sales ladies know about the specials packages. Eau de parfum versus toillette, packaged deals, yada yada. I've gotten one from overseas and shipping it was a pain...

BTW I don't give perfume to those I'm not interested in. ;)

Close friends are another story, it is because they are friends.

im so glad you asked this. I am wondering if I should get a gift for a friend of mine ive been spending a lot of time with and I do have an interest in her. She has clinicals 5 days a week and works on top of that so shes always pooped out.

I was thinking a bottle of wine and some nice bath salts to soak in the tub with (from one of my stores...haha). What else would be nice but not crossing the line?

im so glad you asked this. I am wondering if I should get a gift for a friend of mine ive been spending a lot of time with and I do have an interest in her. She has clinicals 5 days a week and works on top of that so shes always pooped out.

I was thinking a bottle of wine and some nice bath salts to soak in the tub with (from one of my stores...haha). What else would be nice but not crossing the line?

niceguy, are you sending a message to her or do you want it completely on the other side of the line? If you're trying to make them generic gifts, a bottle of wine, combined with bath salts, kinda' sends a message, don't you think? ;)

• Author

thank you guys for all of your thoughts - it pretty much validated my thoughts. he is dating someone that is basically a rebound gal from a two year relationship breakup (a couple of months) and so i was a bit baffled by the jesture. does that change your opinions?

MistiEyed, I have this same problem of analyzing gifts from good friends. A close girl-friend that I'm interested in got me a personal gift this year and I'm wondering if she would've put that kind of time/effort into it if she wasn't interested in me.

What I can tell you is that I don't know the first thing about perfumes, and I definitely would be nervous trying to pick out a decent one as a gift for a girl. What I'm saying is there's no way I'd go through the effort of shopping for perfume unless the person I was buying it for meant a lot to me. It seems like a romantic gesture to me.

And no, he didn't buy it because he thinks you smell.

• Author

a gift card is wonderful (and a nice thoughtful card to put it in) - bath and body works, that kind of thing. i don't know any gal that would not like something like that - they have bath salts, soap, lotions, etc. even if you aren't girly, it is still fun to pamper yourself. just a thought.

• Author
MistiEyed, I have this same problem of analyzing gifts from good friends. A close girl-friend that I'm interested in got me a personal gift this year and I'm wondering if she would've put that kind of time/effort into it if she wasn't interested in me.

What I can tell you is that I don't know the first thing about perfumes, and I definitely would be nervous trying to pick out a decent one as a gift for a girl. What I'm saying is there's no way I'd go through the effort of shopping for perfume unless the person I was buying it for meant a lot to me. It seems like a romantic gesture to me.

And no, he didn't buy it because he thinks you smell.

i think most women put thought into their gifts - moreso, if you are interested in a guy. now i am curious, what did she get you?

• Author
It's all in my "First Post" thread.

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/t138779/

I talked about it in my most recent post there - let's keep this thread about you.

after reading your posts at the link above, i have to say it sounds way too close to a situation i have been in with my best friend (not the same as the perfume gift guy). geez, i am feeling like i have issues and yet i am home alone for xmas. anyway, just a thought, maybe the 6 mth relationship with the guy she is with isn't working because she is waiting on you. really, take a chance - she really seems to care a lot about you. that would be my xmas gift to you - words of wisdom from someone that has been there on the other side. see, we helped each other out :D

well...she does know my intentions as ive talked to her about them once before...kind of. she real quickly said back that if somethin happens we just let it happen. that was about a month ago. now both of us are super busy but we somehow find time to hang out and a month is not very long as we see each other about twice a week.

but everytime we hang out we get a little more physical and flirty. especially after this weekend.. so the gift was somethin kind of last minute. i thought about it for 2 seconds and decided to just get her something. she works very hard and the wine and bath salts are a perfet way for her to unwind.

i got her a bottle of wine and stuck a few of my bah salts around the outside. and i got her a nice card stuck to it too. it looked pretty cool. the card was funny and explained what the wine was for. she was kind of surprised and gave me a hug and looked at me for a second then we had to go. she said she would call me tomorrow and that was that. its like some unspoken thing where we both have some type of attraction to each other but its almost taboo to actually discuss it...weird huh?

yah...getting a girl perfume takes actual effort imo. haha. if thats te acase i think that could be taken as something a reallyclose friend would do OR someone who thinks a little more of them as just a friend. as long as the other person is receptive to it i dont think nothin is wrong with a personal gift like that. your friendship will probably outlast a fling type r/s they may have. really believe that best friends make the best lovers.

• Author

you said: its like some unspoken thing where we both have some type of attraction to each other but its almost taboo to actually discuss it...weird huh?

i know exactly what you mean.......it is hard to explain, but i have two guy friends in this scenario - one i want to date and the other that bought the perfume. the friend that i want to date and i are in a similar spot as you and your friend - we always say how much we care about the other, he says how much he "values" my friendship, and how great we are together, but the scariest thing is moving to a physical level and actually being outright about our feelings (funny since we can talk about EVERYTHING else in the world of important) - everyone sees it, but it is way too taboo at this point. so, i wish you best of luck with your gal and if you ever need a woman's point of view, drop me a line :D this way, we both won't go nutty.

The key point was made by someone else: if he wasn't interested, he would not be buying you gifts! So the question now only relates to the level of interest! Maybe he wants you to be his friend, maybe he wants you to be the love of his life - good luck!

I have lots of girl friends and didnt get any of them anything except for the one I am pursuing. I think he may want something more from ya ;)