X-mas gift for close friend/FWB??

Okay, so I know that this isn't a relationship question, but I figured the best place for this question was here because of the situation. I need help with getting an x-mas gift for my close guy friend/FWB (i'm a girl).

Just a little background: I've been close friends with this guy for about 3 and a half years- we talk about everything, hang out all the time (usu. alone), he's stayed the weekend w/ me at my parents house and i've met his family, and most people think we're dating upon first meeting us together. Anyway, about two months before we graduated college, we became intimate. Nothing else changed about our friendship, though- we just added sex. 4 months ago, he moved several states away (i've moved also) and we've kept in touch by calling/e-mailing.

My problem is, we've never ever gotten gifts for each other before for the holidays or even for birthdays. He just told me in an e-mail a few days ago that he needed my new address because he wants to send me my x-mas gift! We lived 15 minutes apart for 3 years and no exchange of gifts, so why does he decide to get me one now that he's on the other end of the coast?! Anyway, as close as we are, I have absolutely no idea what he got me (all he says is that I'll like it) and I have no clue what to get him now! I wasn't prepared for this at all and now that I know he got something for me I feel like I have to get something for him too (i'm assuming it would be rude to not get him anything, right?). I don't know what would be appropriate. Anyone have any ideas, please?