10 Failed Interviews Later

So I’m not very good on interviews. I’ve been unsuccessful many times in a row. I don’t stumble over interview questions or act terribly nervous. My friend told me you have to spout off a bunch of bs to make the employer think you are exactly what they want. Do y’all agree with this? I just wonder if maybe what I’m good at isn’t valued by employers in my field. Obviously not being there it’s hard for anyone to tell me what I’m doing wrong. But I was very curious if not being authentic and painting an exaggerated picture is what you’re supposed to do at interviews?

I get the same advice but I am not into BS my way into a role... I prefer to just be honest about what I can and can't do. I hear you... it really is tough out there . I've been unemployed over 9 months now and having a hard time myself. Not sure how old you are but I have been attending a networking group every week for this whole time and everyone that is older than 50 are still there. Some of the things I am hearing are: your not a good fit for the culture,you are over qualified and would be bored, too busy to train on our systems would rather promote within, you have been unemployed too long and too many gaps in employment.

• Author

I got a consultant role because I know someone but will end in a few months. But that wasn’t even a real interview. I’m actually 35. It’s kind of funny I must have interviewed with 10 companies to start my career as well and the only offer I got they were on the fence about it.

My local unemployment office offers workshops on improving interviewing skills. If you have that resource you should take advantage of it. I used my local office to revamp my resume, LinkedIn profile, networking, and other career exploration.

IMO most interviewers are trained and will spot BS.

The way I do it is know my background especially what I put on a resume. Never put fiction on it.

Go over your resume and make bullet, talking points. Your accomplishments, experience, capabilities, Etc. this will give you confidence and you'll be able to articulate much better.

Go online and look up the most asked questions and formulate an honest response.

If you can get this done you'll be fine and come across much more polished, professional. Look up dressing dot an interview as well.

Good luck

spiritedaway2003

Don't BS. Sometimes it's got nothing to do with you. HR/hiring managers are usually looking for people with very specific skills. I found out recently that I was rejected because HR was looking for someone with specific years of experience in X (even though I don't that direct role, my other roles have used those skills).

Learn not to take those rejections personally.

I'm one of those people who actually enjoy interviews so interviewing isn't a problem. I've been on both sides of the coins. When I was a hiring manager, I can spot a BSer pretty easily. They may initially get my attention, but they likely won't get to the final cut when I dive into the details. The fact that you are getting interviews is great! Think of them as practice runs. Skillset matters and assuming all is equal, I'd hire someone who is more authentic than a BSer. (Unless it's a sales role, then all bets are off...:))

Good luck!

Eternal Sunshine

Having been on many interview panels, it's usually not about personality.

For the type of roles that I am looking for, I value technical skills. My questions are never do you have X skill, but digging deeper. There are people that have advanced degrees and a decade of experience in a certain field, and when you dig deeper they actually don't understand what they are doing. Other questions are mainly time fillers.

What not to say: when you are asked why did you apply for this job: don't mention ANY perks. Like it's in a good location or it has good benefits. Or you couldn't find anything else. This question seems innocent but will get you disqualified easy. You must always present an attitude that this is your dream job.

• Like 2
Obviously not being there it’s hard for anyone to tell me what I’m doing wrong.

You'd be amazed at how much information we convey through dress, expression, body language and engagement. I've had candidates with good backgrounds that I ultimately didn't hire because they couldn't resist looking at their phone every 30 seconds, or there was little eye contact or enthusiasm communicated, etc.

If you've really had ten consecutive failed interviews, I'd be concerned your delivery is somehow undermining your message. One common suggestion is to have a friend conduct a mock interview with you, film the session with your phone and discuss it with someone who's judgement you trust.

Sometimes it's not what you know, but how you convey it. An interview isn't just a checklist of technical skills, it's an opportunity to present yourself as a good fit for the culture and position...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2

Usually the CV will detail whether you have the technical skills so as Mr Lucky says it comes down to how you fit the culture and so on or how you convey your message across.

I recall a past interview I had, the chap pulled me on my tie- that it was not straight or something,

I says back -there is a man who never wore a tie-Michael O Leary (CEO of Ryanair)

always have an answer

Eternal Sunshine
Usually the CV will detail whether you have the technical skills so as Mr Lucky says it comes down to how you fit the culture and so on or how you convey your message across.

I recall a past interview I had, the chap pulled me on my tie- that it was not straight or something,

I says back -there is a man who never wore a tie-Michael O Leary (CEO of Ryanair)

always have an answer

Just because it says so on a CV, doesn't mean it's true. My worst hires are those that presented that they had more technical skill than they did. I think that cultural fit is way over-rated and can also be easily faked. I read people well and can fool any interview panel into thinking that I will be the perfect fit for their company.

But again, depends on the position. If it's not a highly skilled one, then personality matters more.

• Like 1
So I’m not very good on interviews. I’ve been unsuccessful many times in a row.

BTDT. I struggle with interviews, always have. I was always headhunted into jobs by people who knew my work. Then I decided to do a PhD and change career path totally, after which I freelanced for some years. Recently I decided I needed something more structured and started looking for full-time jobs. I got loads F interviews, but always came second. After one interview, where I was a perfect match for the post but came second, I asked for feedback. I was told I was a perfect fit but hadn’t interviewed well. It dawned on me, and I asked and had it confirmed, that in his country they can’t appoint you on the strength of your CV alone - the interview is really what counts (supposedly to “level the playing field” although IMO it does the opposite.)

And then I put in an application for a post that really interested me, but I kind of blew off - it was several hours away from where I live, and an entry level post so I’d be completely overqualified. I was out of the country when I was invited to interview, and I nearly blew it off, but decided at the last moment to interview via Skype. And because it was so low stakes, I didn’t stress about it at all. I was relaxed, joking, not taking myself too seriously. They offered it to me, and I was in two minds about taking it. When I got back in the country I went to see them, met them in person, and clicked instantly with them, and with the project. I accepted on the spot, and it’s been a perfect fit.

So my advice is - the perfect one will come along. And they’ll want you, and be prepared to make it work to accommodate you. But also, don’t get too stressed about it. It’s a lot like relationships - when you’re desperate for one, you scare potential partners away. But when you’re happy, relaxed, not stressed about it - they see the real you, you’ll interview better, and it will all come together.

Also - don’t see the other interviews as “failures”. As for feedback, and learn from them. Whether it’s interview technique, or something as nebulous as “fit”, there will be something to learn. Your perfect post will be waiting, when you’re ready for it.

• Like 1

My first two interviews went comically bad, my third interview I hit my stride.

The key is to come in confident that you can do the job they are offering and to have practiced pre-canned answers beforehand. It's easy to find generic interviewing questions online, and it helps a lot when you go through them. I find that it even helps to practice salary negotiating beforehand so you can be prepared to tow a hardline.

Basically, if you want the TL;DR, Practice, practice, practice.

I am awful in interviews maybe because I am reserved and don't brag about myself.

Looking back, I wish that I had lied a bit. I am too honest for my own good. Are You? I could tell in a few minutes whether I would get the job based on their faces. I had interviews with several people at once and if they look bored or you look bored, it's over.

My only advice is: you need to offer them some ability, knowledge or experience that the company desires, that other candidates are not likely to have. Try to be different. Always SMILE

I am awful in interviews maybe because I am reserved and don't brag about myself.

sometimes LM you have to toot your own horn...God knows no one else will do it for you.

• Like 2
Just because it says so on a CV, doesn't mean it's true. My worst hires are those that presented that they had more technical skill than they did. I think that cultural fit is way over-rated and can also be easily faked. I read people well and can fool any interview panel into thinking that I will be the perfect fit for their company.

But again, depends on the position. If it's not a highly skilled one, then personality matters more.

Good points Eternal Sunshine.

• Author

I try to be honest. Every word out of my mouth is not how great I am or telling how I’m just the perfect fit for the role. It kind of irritates me that it seems like you can’t be honest with people. And no offense but the interviewer radar is broken. The company I stayed at for 14 years I was rated well and had generally good feedback. Im positive but I’m not radiating a hue of excitement. I hear don’t bs but my friend did exactly that and has done well. I do plan on doing a mock interview in the near future - I think that’s a good idea.

I hear don’t bs but my friend did exactly that and has done well.

MetallicHue, I don't know if Coke really believes it has the most refreshing beverages, Wendy's the best hamburgers or Papa John's better pizza. But each of those companies effectively uses marketing principles to influence the purchasing decision.

So no, you shouldn't BS, lie or state falsehoods during an interview. But that still leaves the challenge of presenting yourself, your background and your skills in the best light and manner most conducive to getting hired.

There's lots of "tell it like it is", straight-shooters in the unemployment line. The goal here is to get MH the job he wants and deserves...

Mr. Lucky

It really is tough out there to land the job you want and not just any job to live. If you have access to some sort of networking group I would recommend joining that. It really has been very helpful to me over the last several months to keep moving forward and not give up. In my weekly network group we start off with our "elevator pitch". It's the introduction of who you are and what you bring to the table. Each week you become more and more comfortable with the pitch. It really helps when your in an actual interview. Good luck.

• Like 1
lonelyplanetmoon

Knowing your value and communicating it with confidence is the key.

You want to be able to read your interviewer to see the cues they show you for what they value and you talk about those and how they relate to you. Often how they ask a question will also reveal what gaps they may be looking to fill, so focus on those.

How do you know your value?

Get the book “what color is my parachute” and go through it.

It is cheap on amazon and well worth it.

Good luck.

My last two interviews have been panel interviews with five to six people in attendance. On my last one, I was asked the dumbest questions such as “why would I not take the company offered insurance? Seriously, why would they even give a **** about that as hiring me would save them money anyway? The fact that I have someone who has provided my healthcare over the worst three years of my life has been a true blessing and is no one’s ****ing business.

I don’t know how anyone gets hired in panel interviews with that many people. It’s nearly impossible to look at all of them and try maintain eye contact, smile and all that crap at the same time while being vollied with questions. I can succeed with three at best. Especially if it’s for one of those short term, no benefit, **** jobs that no one else will work.

Panel interviews are like firing squads.

I actually do very well with panel interviews. The issue I am finding now is everyone I talk to wants to know why I have been unemployed for 9 months. Like how come I haven't found a job yet... another question that is popping up a lot is... What have you been doing for the last 9 months? Looking for work... thank you!

I would lie and say I was taking care of a sick family who had now passed after suffering a debilitating illness. I would also say I was also going back to school and doing volunteer work. If they ask what was wrong with the relative, say it was colon cancer or something like that. They shouldn’t be asking for details due to patient privacy. Lie. Lie lie. It’s the only way to survive in the workforce nowadays.

• Like 3
What have you been doing for the last 9 months? Looking for work... thank you!

I'd put a positive spin on the question. "Sharpening my skills, recharging my batteries, networking with peers", etc...

Mr. Lucky

• Author

I’m supposed to hear back on number 11 today or in the near future. My bets on changing the title to 11 failed interviews.