Saw EA partner for first time in 7 months

Dissapointing

I had posted some of this before. I am a MM and had an EA with a MW who my wife and I have been friends with her and her husband for about 17 years. The EA lasted about a year and a half until her husband found some messages and started getting suspicious. We decided to tell our spouses the truth and they broke all contact from that point. My wife has been very forgiving towards me and her once friend but it has still been tough.

My AP and I agreed to no contact and God help me it has been brutal. I didn’t believe I was in love but I am still trying to get over the broken heart that came with all of this. Over the past 7 months of NC I have had to try every thing I can think of to not contact her. Well, this past weekend we ran into her and her family at an event. She did give a heads up to my wife that they were attending, which was nice. I spent the days leading up to the event fighting terrible anxiety and panic attacks but unfortunately I couldn’t bail on attending. I cannot explain how painful it was to see her again. Her husband and I spoke a little, my wife sat down and talked to her for quite some time but any time I looked in her direction, walked passed, or spoke to anyone near her she would look the other way or immediately walk away. I understand we shouldn’t be speaking and I know I shouldn’t care but it was heartbreaking. I will spend the rest of my life assuming that she hates me and there is no way I will ever know differently. She became my best friend, someone who I could tell anything to and now she cannot stand to even look in my general direction. I would hope that this would help me get past the NC but it just makes me want to reach out and ask if she will ever forgive me for what happened. I just want to get past this.

I’m not even sure why I posted this. I hope someone reads this that is struggling getting close to someone who is married or in a relationship and thinks “I don’t want that heartache” because I promise you, you don’t.

Edited by Dissapointing

I am sorry you are hurting and for the obvious anxiety this meeting caused. I think you should be proud that you’ve both honored the NC and it sounds like you handled this event and seeing one another in the best manner possible. Despite making mistakes you’re doing the best thing for your families moving forward.

I don’t want to project feelings on your xMW, but I imagine she doesn’t hate you, more is hurting as well and feeling a lot of the same guilt you feel. I know that is how I feel. I can’t hate my xMM. He didn’t force me into anything, it was my bad decisions so the anger is really at myself.

I agree with your messaging to anyone reading that the heartache is not worth it. I hope you have some peace now that this event is over and you’re going to continue down the right path. It sounds like your spouses also handled this with a lot of class. All the best to you!!

• Like 1
mark clemson

Agree. Sometimes people genuinely flip emotionally at the end of a relationship (including an A) but it's at least 50/50 that's it's more the above.

Plus even if she does resent you - it really doesn't matter, since you'll be NC. Her emotions are now her business.

The residual limerence is quite painful I'm sure, but it does eventually fade. You were wise to at least try to get out of attending IMO.

Keep at it. Months, in probably months to go unfortunately, but it WILL end.

No words on what this must have done to your wife. How hard it must have been to have be in the same place as your AP. No it's all about you. Do you love your wife? There was not one word about her in there.

No words on what this must have done to your wife. How hard it must have been to have be in the same place as your AP. No it's all about you. Do you love your wife? There was not one word about her in there.

And why would there be? He comes here for himself, not for his wife.

healing light

I don't think she hates you. I think she's trying to avoid the appearance of starting anything back up or doing anything that would cause her husband or former friend (your wife) mistrust. She's likely trying not to give the appearance of anything inappropriate and doesn't want to be tempted. You never know what she may have promised her husband behind the scenes (that she wouldn't interact with you). Don't ascribe any personal meaning to it, it will just give you more to try to get over.

• Like 1

I agree with the other posters. She is most definitely uncomfortable with the entire situation especially making eye contact. I'm sure she doesnt hate you. She is just as responsible for what happened. Take a deep breath and be patient with your feelings. It takes a while to fully recover. I'm 8 months out and it does get easier. She can always remain in a special place in your heart.

And why would there be? He comes here for himself, not for his wife.

This was a double betrayal and this woman has shown immense grace. The last this man can do is show some kind of inkling of how hard it must have been for his wife but no it's all on his heartbreak. That's why I asked if he loved his wife, if he cared at all he'd be worried at how this hurt her but no there was nothing!

This was a double betrayal and this woman has shown immense grace. The last this man can do is show some kind of inkling of how hard it must have been for his wife but no it's all on his heartbreak. That's why I asked if he loved his wife, if he cared at all he'd be worried at how this hurt her but no there was nothing!

So your conclusion is that he doesn't care about his wife, because his post doesn't mention her? Wow.

Disappointing - You of course have a lot to be sorry for here. Sorry to your wife, sorry to your AP's husband. Sorry to the AP --- NOT.

She got into this just as you did. Eyes wide open, knowing it was wrong. If she is angry with you then let her. She should be. You acted as a POS to her. As you should be angry with her. You should both be more angry at your own bad choices but it takes two to tango and your tango partner is a POS. Don't feel you need her to stop hating you. She sure doesn't seem to feel sorry for you or care if you hate her.

Also, don't "keep a special place in your heart" for this POS. I know your wife may not know that you do, then again she may, but if you do that, it is very disrespectful of you. It is continuing the affair "in your heart."

If you can't see this woman for the POS that she is and never think fondly of her again, then you should leave your wife to find someone that doesn't "hold a special place" in their heart for someone else. I know I wouldn't want to be married to someone like that. Would you?

I do not think she hates you. But I think she is handling the NC better than you and doing her best to put your EA in the past.

Normally in situation like this, you wouldn't even want to look at the direction where that person is in - you will try to avoid eye contact at all cost. Avoid crossing path with them - especially, knowing that your BS is around.

But you were looking at her direction which IMO is almost like you're trying to get any reaction or anything that might connect you two again even just knowing that you are still on her heart.

I do not know how awkward this may be for your W and her H or what emotions or feelings this meet up has given them.

I am pretty sure that they were also alert or trying to see what the reactions of the two of you will be. I am pretty sure that your wife may have sense something.

I understand how hard it is for you. I know how much you are missing the friendship and Emotional connection that you two has shared. You are still in withdrawal phase.

But I do think that your EX-AP is doing her best to put your A behind. She doesn't hate you. But the A is over for her.

brokenandhopeless

Gee why does every post have to pivot to the BS? Some folks come in here for help for themselves.

This post shows how little work the OP has actually done. It appears he has is wallowing in his pain. I referenced his BW because she is the innocent victim (along with the BH), she did not ask for the betrayal. OP chose to stay in the marriage therefore he owes his wife the respect that comes along with that.

Oh and before someone says it I am not a BS, I have simply reached a point in my life where I appreciate the benefits of leading a truthful life.

mark clemson

He may indeed be wallowing, but in truth this pain isn't something one can simply shut off. I've experienced it directly as an adult. It has a life of it's own and must be, for lack of a better word, endured until it shuts off of it's own accord. This is part of the "process" that waywards go through to fully end the A. The timing/duration varies for different people as well apparently.

There are probably full on sociopaths who don't experience this, but I'm guessing not too many of them bother to come here and post - they have no "issue" that they need help with processing. For them it's presumably just on to the next lie and breaking someone else's life.

• Like 3
This post shows how little work the OP has actually done. It appears he has is wallowing in his pain. I referenced his BW because she is the innocent victim (along with the BH), she did not ask for the betrayal. OP chose to stay in the marriage therefore he owes his wife the respect that comes along with that.

Oh and before someone says it I am not a BS, I have simply reached a point in my life where I appreciate the benefits of leading a truthful life.

And respect for his wife means he can't have certain feelings he's dealing with, that for obvious reasons he can't share with his wife? Because he should hurt his wife even more by talking to her about it ?

In just about every topic someone feels the need to point out who 'the real victim' is. Seriously...

• Author
Dissapointing

My wife has been an angel and a rock through the past 7-10 months since this happened. . She immediately forgave me and her friend. She would still be friends with my AP if the AP would want to be. It’s an unfair and terrible burden I have put on my wife. She has seen me struggle with depression and anxiety as a result of all of this and has done everything she can to try to get me to forgive myself for what I’ve done all the while she is healing as well. To answer the question, yes I love my wife. It’s the reason I have never entertained the thought of leaving her for what fake reality I could have cooked up with my AP. She was excited to see the family of my AP as we were very close to their children as well and she was hoping that this may provide some closure for me.

So yes, I completely understand how fortunate I am to have my wife and realize that she too has feelings in all of this and that she has to deal with the fact her husband and best friend let her down. It enters my mind every day the moment my head leaves the pillow.

Edited by Dissapointing
Wallysbears

Poor you....you betrayed your WIFE and the only person you seem to be worried about is you.

Maybe your wife will divorce you.

• Like 1
NotADayGoesBy

Thanks for the update OP, I was wondering about how you were doing.

You posted because you are still working this out, as Mark said. There are many of us here who are still trying to process our feelings and work it out, and it helps when we can hear others' stories and know we aren't alone. Believe me, if there had been a way to shut it all off and not have any feelings whatsoever for my AP I would have found it by now. To quote Mark again, we have to endure as long as necessary.

I'm sorry you are still struggling after 7 months--I am too. My mind is ready to move on and fix the things broken inside me that lead me to this place. Unfortunately, my emotions are not falling in line the way I'd like them to which is making it more difficult.

• Like 1
  • Author
Dissapointing
Poor you....you betrayed your WIFE and the only person you seem to be worried about is you.

Maybe your wife will divorce you.

That’s fair. I’m fortunate to have a wife full of grace who is infinitely better than I will ever deserve. The thread was started to share with people who might be going through the same thing, or hoping others might read it and stop themselves dead in their tracks. I can see how what I said would sound selfish. I came here trying to deal with my failures, which I’m sure was a mistake. I should add that the heartbreak in all of this is not from just missing my friends (AP, her husband and family), I miss who I used to be. I miss my wife not having a shred of doubt about the person she married or her friends, I miss thinking that I can live with who I am. That’s all gone and there is no way to get it back.

• Like 1

There was nothing in your post about having discussed the situation with your wife. About having a plan in place to protect HER. It was her prerogative to speak to the OW but it's your place to protect her at all times. Instead all you posted about was how your OW avoided you, how she wouldn't look you in the eye.

OP - this is how you should have been acting! You should have been avoiding her out of respect for both your wife and her husband. You seem to have no idea of proper behaviour.

• Author
Dissapointing

The criticism is fair. I guess if I’m going to be honest on here I shouldn’t expect others to not do the same. There are plenty of details I have left out like the fact that I kept a good 30 foot distance unless I had to cross her path, the fact that my wife and I had honest conversations about how she was feeling about seeing them and their family and what I could do to make her feel less awkward. I just didn’t mention every detail.

Disappointing, we r pleased to hear from a MM who had feelings for another. Your a human being and I am positive u never intended to hurt your wife. People cross our paths and sometimes we r so blinded by them we get lost!!! Its normal, it happens. This has been going on for centuries. The good news is your wife forgives you. Each day you will see the reward of this and feel blessed and grateful. It's a process so dont be down on yourself. You didnt have a PA and that's the bigger crime. What betrayed spouses do t understand is that you dont even know your in an EA until you feel like you need to cross that line. Sometimes a connection is just that a connection. Your doing the right thing now you dont deserved to be prosecuted. We r so happy you have shared here. Not many men come foward.

• Like 1

NW stop minimising the devastation done to other spouses when you haven't even disclosedyour affair to BH! EAs can be just as harmful as PAs and couples have indeed divorced over then.

OP, I'm glad you had a plan going in but confused you seem disappointed it worked.

I hate mine, but then again, he ghosted me, it was EA & PA, there wasn’t a discussion and mutual agreement to go NC like with yours, but I will spend the rest of my life assuming that he hates me. He knew ghosting would leave me in constant turmoil and that is pure hatred and there is no way I will ever know differently.

Avoiding eye contact means she’s hurt. That’s what I would do if I ever ran into mine. I don’t even like using the word “mine” because he’s not mine, never was, and never will be. No one can discard someone so cruelly and expect to be welcomed back with open arms, like nothing happened.

There will always be some kind of hate for not being the chosen one. If you had picked your EA and divorced your wife, you might now be posting in the Infidelity page wondering if your ex wife hates you. You can’t win.

I will spend the rest of my life assuming that she hates me and there is no way I will ever know differently. She became my best friend, someone who I could tell anything to and now she cannot stand to even look in my general direction. I would hope that this would help me get past the NC but it just makes me want to reach out and ask if she will ever forgive me for what happened. I just want to get past this.

I’m not even sure why I posted this. I hope someone reads this that is struggling getting close to someone who is married or in a relationship and thinks “I don’t want that heartache” because I promise you, you don’t.

• Like 1
NW stop minimising the devastation done to other spouses when you haven't even disclosedyour affair to BH! EAs can be just as harmful as PAs and couples have indeed divorced over then.

OP, I'm glad you had a plan going in but confused you seem disappointed it worked.

Please refrain from telling people what to do!!! Its my opinion!! You dont have to agree. His wife is devastated and I understand but he didnt intend to hurt her. Sometimes circumstances are very difficult to avoid. My BH will never know because the reaction that I see from everyone on here I will spare him that pain. It's the very least I can do. I know how he needs to be treated and etc. I know where my weaknesses were and where I need to do a better job. I will still say, this affair has helped me GROW!!!! Maybe just maybe Disappointed needed to see this to love his wife properly. It's okay that he has a heart and felt something for someone else. He never stopped loving his wife and that's the most important learning experience here. No need to throw more stones and cause additional pain. Hes already hurting.