Is masturbation a sin?

hurtingandconfused

If mastUrbation is a sin, then 99% of men and 83% of men are going to hell. Well, the official stats are 63% and 41% but I suspect some people lied.

By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."

"The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."

To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability.

[2352]

BrainRightHeartWrong

it makes you go blind...

now that must be a myth otherwise I couldn't read Loveshack! :D

or maybe my guidedog is very intelligent and can speak english and use a puter

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's such a great question....i also ask myself that question to...when I am doing it, LOL

but mommie is right everybody dose it, so I guess the whole world would be in trouble.

[joke]

SON masturbating in room

DAD walks in

DAD: Son!?!

SON: Dad?!?!?

DAD: Son, I know, I was your age once too. But if you do that too much, you WILL go blind.

SON: Uhm, Dad...

DAD: Yes son?

SON: I'm over *here*

[/joke]

BrainRightHeartWrong

was that a catholic thing about blindness?

i thought everybody was aware of that myth!

see i had a christian brothers education...

joke: some of em wanted to do it for us!

not really a joke if you read about the catholic church in Ireland! :

:confused:

never got me anyway! :sick:

Fedup&givingup

All I have to say is no, masturbating is not a sin.

And...why is this thread in the "OW/OM" arena?

Originally posted by moimeme

Not everybody's Catholic, Dyer

I, however, am. The question was asked, "is it a sin?" A sin is a transgression of a religious or a moral law, completely subjective to which religious and moral standards you apply to yourself. Thus, the question is inherently subjective. I'm most qualified to speak for the Catholic Church's position on such a transgression, and so I quoted the doctrine of that Church, bolding out the part I felt most significant. You implied in your answer that those who do it, if it is indeed a sin, would be going to hell, but there are certain factors that would limit the gravity of the sin, thus making it NOT a mortal sin, and not seperating of the sanctifying grace.

Originally posted by BrainRightHeartWrong

was that a catholic thing about blindness?

No. It's a joke.

Fedup&givingup

No one said a thing about going to hell! Good grief.

If you are doomed for all time from pleasuring yourself, I am really curious to know what would happen to someone who committed adultery.

BrainRightHeartWrong

its Friday night here in Ireland... have a drink Dyermaker and as we say here...

wind your neck in will yee?

:laugh:

Originally posted by Fedup&givingup

If you are doomed for all time from pleasuring yourself

Nothing dooms you for all time, there is no sin from which we are not capable of forgiveness.

BrainRightHeartWrong

15 hahahaha

i've never met a 15 year old in my life who talks like Dyer, who is he the next Beethoven? i suppose he is deaf and reads brail also?

skabill

even so if he was 15 here that would be a late starter to alcohol where i come from, as if Americans observe the law anyway? it is a democracy afterall! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

have a pint of the black stuff, good for your blood

:p

Originally posted by moimeme

He can't drink. He's 15.

Depends on where, I'm sure the drinking age in the motherland is like seven or eight.

Fedup&givingup

Hell is total damnation.

I'm seeing more and more that Dyer is 15

Originally posted by Fedup&givingup

Hell is total damnation.

First of all, Religion is entirely subjective, there is no FACT about hell, a place which most would doubt the existence of. In your religious opinion, do you believe there are sins in which we can never be forgiven for?

If masterbation is a sin then eating ice cream or going to an amusement park or anything pleasurable must be a sin. Gee if I believed what I was told in catholic school, I guess I better put in my will to bury me will alot of marshmallows, and a good stick. :laugh:

BrainRightHeartWrong

when was the last time you were in a confession box Dyermaker?

laugh was when you are 7 years old... first confession is a point in a catholic's development when a child enters a confession box and tells a priest their deadly sins ( i called my mate a pig! OR i pissed myself in bed last night! ) , we were then told to say a number of HAIL MARY'S after leaving the confession box and this would cure us of our sins!

that was when i started to become an atheist!

my last time in a cb was when i was 7

:D

forgive me father for i have sinned!

BrainRightHeartWrong

Have you guys ever seen a TV comedy made in Ireland called 'Father Ted'

one of the funniest maddest shows i have ever seen!

a pisstake of the catholic church in Ireland, all lighthearted but so funny!

:laugh:

Originally posted by BrainRightHeartWrong

when was the last time you were in a confession box Dyermaker?

A few years. It's my least favorite sacrament. I've definitely never confessed to masturbating.

we were then told to say a number of HAIL MARY'S after leaving the confession box and this would cure us of our sins!

Penance?

• Author
hurtingandconfused

I've just started to read pieces off the bible. I was born catholic; however, now that I am old enough to figure things out on my own I've decided to read the bible before I start making false accusations. I had/have doubts regarding God's existence. I know that no one can answer if God really exists other than myself. I know that God exists to everyone that has faith; hopefully the bible will guide me through the right path.

That masturbating question came out of no where. I just thought about it and wondered what you guys thought=) It's also an interesting question. Next time I talk to a father/priest I will ask them what they think.