I like his friend more!

So, I went to high school with this guy Mark...we never talked, but about 2 months ago, I saw him out at a bar and he came over to say hi and see how things had been going since HS. Turns out we hang out with a lot of the same people, so we have been hanging out a lot lately. He has been calling me a lot lately and all his (and MY) friends having been trying to hook us up..here's the problem.....one night he told me how all the girls he talks to end up liking his friend Josh....well it happened again. Josh and I haven't gone out or anything like that..but we talk on the phone a lot. Mark knows we talk..but he thinks it's just occassional...we actually talked last night 'til 4am. Everytime we go out, I am with Mark AND Josh...I always make comments on how I like Josh to see how he'll respond and he jokes (I think) back and says "you are trying to get Josh's ass kicked".

I don't know what to do..I think Josh and I really do connect, but I don't know how to handle this situation...Mark got hurt REALLY bad by his ex-fiancee and I don't wanna add to hurt....PLS help!

HAHA....if I were Mark, I'd find myself a 'less sexy' friend! Can you imagine having a best friend who takes all your prospects away?????? :D

I don't know how you could handle it without him getting his feelings hurt.

If Josh feels the same way about wanting to go out with you and possibly having a relationship....then it would be worth making the confrontation to Mark and explaining the situation. If Josh thinks of you as a friend, who he might like to go out with casually....then it may not be worth hurting Mark's feelings.

I would look at it as a judgement call depending on how serious the feelings are between you and Josh.

Originally posted by AMN819

one night he told me how all the girls he talks to end up liking his friend Josh

What happened to all those girls? Did Josh date them? Is Josh's behavior like a love 'em and leave 'em type? That may be something to consider. If he is, you probably don't want to just become another chick Josh went with. Maybe Mark is the better guy in the long run.

Just an idea.

• Author

NOOO..he never dated any..well, I think ONE....but he's NOT like that. He's just one of those really sweet, shy guys that once you get to know is really funny and sweet. I don't know...I HAVE explained to Mark that I have feelings for both of them..he seems to be okay with it..I guess we'll see.

I'm not sure if he's really okay with it, or if he's just used to it.

In either case, it doesn't sound like you and Mark are all that serious. Talk it over with Josh and see if he wants to hang out with you. If so, then let Mark know as soon as possible. Don't keep him in the wings with stuff like you "have feelings for both of them". That just confuses the poor boy.

• Author

Last night Marks grandmother died...he told me he had to go out of town for 2 days for the funeral. Josh asked me if I thought Mark would mind if we hung out without Mark. I told him I wasn't sure...but it made it seem like he is showing some interest in me as well. I am NOT gonna hang out with him b/c I don't want to do it w/o Mark knowing and I don't think NOW would be a good time to talk to him about Josh considering his grandmother just died.

I don't know exactly how to question Josh's feeling..what do I say?

When the whole thing with Mark's grandmother has subsided just have a blunt chat with Josh to see where he stands. You can go from there to see if his interests meet yours.

• Author

Well, now it's getting a little more complicated...Mark ended up finding out Saturday night about how I felt about Josh. He walked out of the place we were hanging out...Then, yesterday we hung out again and he told me him and Josh had talked. He HIGHLY IMPLIED that Josh wasn't interested in me..yet, Josh called me about 5 times yesterday. He was getting ready to leave (the place him and Mark were hanging out) but told me he heard Mark talking to me and knew I was on my way up there so he waited. I just don't know. Mark makes it sound like he is this big playa'..but I usually know a playa' when I see one and he just DOESN'T seem the type...noone does except Mark..and he only says it to me.....What do I do?? Do I believe Mark or not? Should I just leave ALL this alone before it ruins a friendship?? Could Josh have told Mark he wasn't interested just b/c he didn't want him to get upset??

Well, you can confront BOTH of them at the same time or you can AVOID both of them until Josh steps up to the plate.

Guys, especially two 'friend/roommates' generally know each other well, but Mark may be suffering from jealousy. It's really Josh's place to clarify....but he DOES have a friendship involved.

Getting between two friends is always a sticky situation. (No pun intended....HAHAHAHA!)

• Author

I don't exactly know what to say to them...I don't want to talk to them BOTH if there really isn't any interest on Josh's part...ya know?