Well, today's the day. Sort of. Two days ago GF left me a message (we hadn't been talking "until," as my anxiety only increased with talking to him three times a day), said he wanted to talk. That night, he told me that all the papers were ready to be filed, and could be done anytime. He was being strongly advised by his attorney to do it on Monday (the 5th), for end-of-year purposes, financial, practical reasons, plus that the courts would look less harshly on him if he waited until the holidays were over.

He told me it was my decision. If waiting until Monday meant that I would feel any differently, do anything differently, or if it would in any way negatively affect us, he would go and do it the following day. I told him I wasn't going to pretend not to be disappointed-- in fact, I had really thought he would come through early, if anything (which I also told him)-- but that I also wasn't going to make things more difficult just by being so stringent about a date. I didn't know if I'd be able to talk to him until I saw the copy of the papers in my fax machine (he told me he'd fax me a copy as soon as it was done), but I wasn't going to take off because it happened a few days into the year.

I am a little bit upset, because I was so adamant about not giving him a day of extention and here I am doing it, but I would be even more upset with myself if I were to demand that he do it by the first, and if it were to make things more difficult in the divorce proceedings.

Now I am headed to Vegas with a dear friend, which no doubt will do wonders in keeping me distracted for a couple of days until I see those divorce papers.

I will update upon my return home!

Happy New Year everyone!! Let's hope 2004 finds us smarter....?!

lipglossboost
Originally posted by kismet

I am a little bit upset, because I was so adamant about not giving him a day of extention and here I am doing it, but I would be even more upset with myself if I were to demand that he do it by the first, and if it were to make things more difficult in the divorce proceedings.

I don't know your history from previous posts, but it sounds as if you did the right thing. If you love him, a few days don't really mean anything. He is on the right track, (and so are you for demanding he get it all taken care of,) and I commend you for sticking to your guns on that one. Happy New Year and good luck to you both! =)

Now I am headed to Vegas with a dear friend, which no doubt will do wonders in keeping me distracted for a couple of days until I see those divorce papers

Good for you ! Enjoy Vegas! Maybe this will remind you that there is an exciting world out there with tons of fantastic people in it... :) and you have more options than you know... :) ..you always did.

But because I have been following your story ....

... I'll raise a glass to you seeing, seeing, seeing, those divorce papers when you get home....

Good Luck Kismet.

I sent you an email Kismet....you KNOW I'm hanging in there with you!! Have fun in Vegas...hehehehe! ;)

So glad you let us know. We all need to hear from you. Hey this will make a great made for TV movie. Best of Luck.........

• Author

Wow, thank you everyone for your continuing support. I half expected to hear "this is just the first extension... if he's wanting one, he'll want more!" But I don't believe that, nor did I hear it from anyone, so thanks for the votes of confidence. I just got off the phone with him and he is coming down this week to celebrate. My mom is here visiting and he wants to meet her, and I feel very good about how things are going. Tomorrow is the day, and when I see those papers, we can all raise our glasses!!

Thanks again!

• Author

By the way, Vegas was a blast! Terrific distraction. It also reminded me why I'm in love with GF; after talking to a certain number of lame guys, I realize how few and far between someone that I can tolerate, let alone love, really is!