! It's brutal! It's a mess....at work!

This is a mess ..... I'm a mess ..... Help!!

I'm an attorney and have worked in the same firm with this beautiful woman for 10 years. We'd always been the best of friends, confidants, almost like husband and wife at the office. We worked together, ate together, exercised together, finished each other's sentences, ect. She is beautiful ....and smart.

A year ago, we brushed up against each other in the office kitchen and started to kiss passionately. Within a week or two, the relationship becamse physically and emotionally intense. We connected in every way possible.

Neither of us is married. However, she had two young children from a 9 year relationship with her longtime boyfriend, who, in a nutshell, is a bad guy. He's an alcoholic; drug user; and a video game addict with anger issues. She'd been with this guy for 9 years; they lived together; and she supported him because he's always been unemployed.

Our relationship was very intense for a year. We have great emotional and physical chemistry. We talked about marriage and having kids. I loved her boys and would have raised them as my own. I met and became very close to her sisters and her friends. Her parents were both alcoholics and never in the picture ..... which may be relevant here.

During the course of the last year, her ex-boyfriend was drinking himself into a stupor and threatening to harm himself. Frankly, I was worried for this guy. And I knew it was bothering her, not only because she told me she was feeling guilty about it, but also because she seemed to be withdrawing a bit. Her parents were alcoholics. This guy is an alcoholic.

Anyway ....6 weeks ago ....she told me that she couldn't go through with our relationship. In tears, she said she felt obligated to get back together with this guy, in part for the kids, in part because he'd been with her for 9 years, in part because she would feel guilty if she didn't pull him out of the gutter. So she brok up with me ...in tears ....and this guy moved back into her house shortly thereafter.

Anyway, to make matters more complicated, when she ended it, she made it clear that she loves me ....and that we're soul-mates. I know, I know, I know. She may have said that to ease her guilt and/or let me down easy. However, she cried when she said it and has cried a couple other times since, which is unusual for her because she is typically very strong.

Her sisters and friends, who care about me, said they don't understand her, that she's was always this guy's enabler and that I should just move on. My common sense says the same thing. The problem is that we work together in the same law firm and it's difficult to avoid her. Every day, she comes into my office, sits down and talks to me....with a glowing smile on her face .... genuinely happy to see me. It's like clock-work. She can't get through the day without a very personal conversation with me ....and typically makes a point of remember our good times.

I should accept the fact that it's over; that her feelings for me -- whatever they are -- are not enough to overcome the guilt she feels for the father of her children.

Everybody says NO CONTACT, but that isn't possible. Everybody says DON'T BE FRIENDS, but I can't avoid the conversation. My common sense tells me to accept that it's over and move on, but this beautiful woman -- who is now back with her ex-boyfriend out of charity -- gives me reason for hope every day. Is she dangling me?

Is there anybody else out there with similar experiences? How do you deal with this pain when you work together? It's BRUTAL!!! I know I should move on, but don't want to because I continue to hold out hope. And even if I wanted to move on, it's impossible to get her out of my mind because I see her literally every day ........

Help!! Any advice would be much appreciated.

:bunny:HUG:bunny:, The work place is a even harder circumstance. I think you should consider yourself lucky honestly. To be with someone who is enabling a alcoholic and her childhood background might make for a damaging personality as well. You just haven't seen this woman in her true form. Is getting a new job an option right now in your life? If not I say try and start a new romance. Get her out of your system. Try finding something that will distract you from thinking of her. Make the choice to only have contact if it's work related. Even if she might hate you for treating her cold you should back off. Don't entertain these chance meetings your having. Put her in her place and ask her to leave you alone because you can't handle it. When was the last time you went on a date?

• Author

Emme,

No, I can't leave because I own part of the firm and am the managing partner. And frankly, I'd like to just get over her.

The problem is that it's not easy to avoid the encounters. Even if it's only work related, I'm going to see her.whether I like it or not.

The sick thing is that we I still enjoy it when she comes into my office to talk. Today ....she came into tell me that she just found the sunlgasses I'd bought her for Christmas, which she'd lost. And that moved to talk about other cute little inside stories we share.

I've been on a few dates over the course of the last few weeks, but find myself thinking of her, which isn't fair to my date.

Is it foolish or stupid to think we'll be together again?

There's nothing foolish about feeling something for someone. What's foolish is allowing those emotions make bad decisions that wont come to light. She has made her choice. You now have to make yours. She can still have you whenever she wants and she knows it. It's time for you to let her see you are no longer into her. Time to let her know you went out on a few dates. That you have found someone new you care about. Even if it's a lie... lie. Also you really shouldn't be messing with her because you are part owner. Many women like to cry wolf (sexual harassment) if things don't go there way. Do you have a secretary that you can use as a block to stop the chattering between you two?

fooled once

She wants her cake and eat it too. She tells you its over, yet comes to your office every day to relive good times. That's crap.

You have to tell her - either she is totally professional/business like or she stays out of your office. She is basically giving you the old "you can see me, talk to me, remember things, but don't touch me" game.

Stop letting her do this. Put an end to the 'friendship' part and treat her as an employee.

Wow, I feel for you. That is a terrible story... which could have potentially had a happy ending. :eek:

First, this woman is sick - she needs to go to Alanon. Totally codependant on these alcoholics in her life. First, her parents... then she repeats the behaviour with this boyfriend. I feel for you, but you really can't make her see this.

What role does she play? You are the managing partner, right? I would suggest sitting her down, talking with her soul mate to soul mate and explaining that you have to back off personally. You don't want to hear about her weekend, you don't want to rehash the good old days, etc., because you are getting on with your life since she has chosen not to be a part of your personal future. Accordingly, you need to set the boundaries here and limit your contact to strictly work - filings, clients, opinion letters, whatever it is that you do. No more lunching, working out, chatting, etc. Explain that it hurts you, because you loved her. Maybe suggest that she get therapy, because I think her home situation is not a good one.

If you continue to "be friends" personally with her, then YOU are enabling her to continue in her relationship with the alcoholic drug addict bf. She gets the stimulating friendship and conversation from you and then goes home to be a doormat to that bf who is sucking all the life out of her... you need to withhold your personal friendship and set a boundary.

NU42, get out there and have some fun with a healthy woman who can commit. Gonna take some time and effort to put this behind you. Not saying that things could never change, but I think this lady needs some help. Not to mention it is not a great environment for her kids to be in.

• Author

Turbo, Fooled and Emma,

You are correct!

Lawyers are supposed to be mentally tough. Right? Not in cases of love.

A couple of thoughts.

First, she is in counseling to referable to childhood issues.

Second, she is a fantastic legal mind.

Third, this is all much easier said than done. BUT I'm thrilled to have found this forum. TOMORROW something will happen to make my head spin. I'm sure of it.

Today ....she came into tell me that she just found the sunlgasses I'd bought her for Christmas, which she'd lost. And that moved to talk about other cute little inside stories we share.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that she feels guilty. Guilty. Guilty. Guilty. She may "love" you and feel that you are a "great guy" but she broke up with you and she feels guilty. Thus the tears and the sunglasses & stories. She doesn't want you to "hate" her. She conjures the tears so you don't get angry and then you get a little gift of stories. I know it sounds hard hearted and manipulative but from my perspective it could all be true!

• Author

ChalkFarm and BBO7,

You are both correct and you share my own thoughts.

I'm an accomplished trial lawyer and pretty good a jumping inside the minds of other people. BUT that is a problem for me because I am always inclined to read into everything she does.

Frankly, without going into details, I don't think she's doing this because she feels guilty, although guilt may play some role.

My gut is that she is sending me mixed messages because she wants to keep me in the loop, which pisses me off more than if she was doing it out of guilt. I'm not saying she would ever come back to me....'Cause I don't know that to be true. However, I do think she'd like to be my office wife during the day....... It's every day.

She knows I'd take her back..........

Am I getting jerked around?

YES, you are..........that comes with the territory with affairs and as others said...........she'll eat cake as long as you allow it. It's human nature to not do the hard stuff if you don't have to and with you, she doesn't have to. It doesn't necessarily mean she is doing it all consciously, maybe she is, maybe she isn't but affairs mess people up and it will mess you up too.

Something else you should think about very hard is that her getting some of her needs met by you, means that you are enabling her to not have to do the decision making of whether to end it with him. You are an ENABLER.

Agree here. Ok, so she has a great legal mind. Limit your contact to professional topics only. The end. You have to draw the boundary line for yourself... I am suspecting that she gives & gives at home, and her thrill intellectually and probably other ways too... is/was having you in her life. Let's take some of that fun ego stroking comfy feelings away from her and see how she handles Real Life without the wonderful work hubby... with just the BF with all the problems at home as her support system. You will know... might be what it takes to make her see that her home situation is a no win. And you get some breathing room to regain your composure and come to terms with dealing with her on a professional level only.

whichwayisup

Stop allowing her to be personal with you. Just tell her straight up since she's chosen her ex and giving him a chance, she has to respect YOUR wishes and give you space, and keep things on a more professional setting. This doesn't have to be mean or anything, but she has to understand that it's painful for you to be around her, listen to her and be a friend all the meanwhile she blew her chance with you by going back to her ex. She can't it both ways!

ChalkFarm and BBO7,

You are both correct and you share my own thoughts.

I'm an accomplished trial lawyer and pretty good a jumping inside the minds of other people. BUT that is a problem for me because I am always inclined to read into everything she does.

Frankly, without going into details, I don't think she's doing this because she feels guilty, although guilt may play some role.

My gut is that she is sending me mixed messages because she wants to keep me in the loop, which pisses me off more than if she was doing it out of guilt. I'm not saying she would ever come back to me....'Cause I don't know that to be true. However, I do think she'd like to be my office wife during the day....... It's every day.

She knows I'd take her back..........

Am I getting jerked around?

Hmmm.... I think that even if she thinks she isn't playing you, she is. Does that make it subconscious or semi-conscious? I tend to lean more toward the conscious end of the spectrum. That doesn't mean there are no feelings involved. From my perspective it means that you are significantly more involved in the relationship than she is. She has one foot in each camp - fence sitting - making it easier for her to go home.

Also, what seems to be very common is that a wayward spouse (or wayward girlfriend as is the case here) will vilify the one being cheated on. Meaning maybe that BF of hers isn't as terrible as she makes out.... Just something to think about.

This is a mess ..... I'm a mess ..... Help!!

I'm an attorney and have worked in the same firm with this beautiful woman for 10 years. We'd always been the best of friends, confidants, almost like husband and wife at the office. We worked together, ate together, exercised together, finished each other's sentences, ect. She is beautiful ....and smart.

A year ago, we brushed up against each other in the office kitchen and started to kiss passionately. Within a week or two, the relationship becamse physically and emotionally intense. We connected in every way possible.

Neither of us is married. However, she had two young children from a 9 year relationship with her longtime boyfriend, who, in a nutshell, is a bad guy. He's an alcoholic; drug user; and a video game addict with anger issues. She'd been with this guy for 9 years; they lived together; and she supported him because he's always been unemployed.

Our relationship was very intense for a year. We have great emotional and physical chemistry. We talked about marriage and having kids. I loved her boys and would have raised them as my own. I met and became very close to her sisters and her friends. Her parents were both alcoholics and never in the picture ..... which may be relevant here.

During the course of the last year, her ex-boyfriend was drinking himself into a stupor and threatening to harm himself. Frankly, I was worried for this guy. And I knew it was bothering her, not only because she told me she was feeling guilty about it, but also because she seemed to be withdrawing a bit. Her parents were alcoholics. This guy is an alcoholic.

Anyway ....6 weeks ago ....she told me that she couldn't go through with our relationship. In tears, she said she felt obligated to get back together with this guy, in part for the kids, in part because he'd been with her for 9 years, in part because she would feel guilty if she didn't pull him out of the gutter. So she brok up with me ...in tears ....and this guy moved back into her house shortly thereafter.

Anyway, to make matters more complicated, when she ended it, she made it clear that she loves me ....and that we're soul-mates. I know, I know, I know. She may have said that to ease her guilt and/or let me down easy. However, she cried when she said it and has cried a couple other times since, which is unusual for her because she is typically very strong.

Her sisters and friends, who care about me, said they don't understand her, that she's was always this guy's enabler and that I should just move on. My common sense says the same thing. The problem is that we work together in the same law firm and it's difficult to avoid her. Every day, she comes into my office, sits down and talks to me....with a glowing smile on her face .... genuinely happy to see me. It's like clock-work. She can't get through the day without a very personal conversation with me ....and typically makes a point of remember our good times.

I should accept the fact that it's over; that her feelings for me -- whatever they are -- are not enough to overcome the guilt she feels for the father of her children.

Everybody says NO CONTACT, but that isn't possible. Everybody says DON'T BE FRIENDS, but I can't avoid the conversation. My common sense tells me to accept that it's over and move on, but this beautiful woman -- who is now back with her ex-boyfriend out of charity -- gives me reason for hope every day. Is she dangling me?

Is there anybody else out there with similar experiences? How do you deal with this pain when you work together? It's BRUTAL!!! I know I should move on, but don't want to because I continue to hold out hope. And even if I wanted to move on, it's impossible to get her out of my mind because I see her literally every day ........

Help!! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dude leave her alone 2 her own drama, her own baggage, tel her 2 stop comin in2ur office n leave u alone, u can walk away n dump all that stress n crap, leave her 2 it, she is creatin her own nitemare, u shud be happy u aint bein draggd in2 it no more. She aint neva gona get her shiot togetha-rememba that, the longa u r with her, the more sh*t thats gona b deliverd 2 ur doorstop.

U on d otha hand, if ur a lawyer, hell man, lotsa cute girls out there 4 u, go out n enjoy it.

• Author

ChalFarm,

For whatever this is worth.....the other guy is THAT bad. I know, not only because I've witnessed some of it myself, but also because her aunt and sisters have confirmed. I've seen the holes in her walls caused by his fists during anger. His FB page talks about his drug use. He's typically unemployed. And apparently, he was on a PlayStation3 forum (because he's a gamer) and the moderators kicked him off because of his angry and combative language.

I hate to sound vain. But he's an odd looking dude .......and I'm not. I'm compassionate and otherwise have the world in front of me. Now you know why I'm confused?

Wish me luck today.

Dude leave her alone 2 her own drama, her own baggage, tel her 2 stop comin in2ur office n leave u alone, u can walk away n dump all that stress n crap, leave her 2 it, she is creatin her own nitemare, u shud be happy u aint bein draggd in2 it no more. She aint neva gona get her shiot togetha-rememba that, the longa u r with her, the more sh*t thats gona b deliverd 2 ur doorstop.

U on d otha hand, if ur a lawyer, hell man, lotsa cute girls out there 4 u, go out n enjoy it.

Wow....you may have some decent advice,

but the text lingo has GOT to go!

It reads so ignorant and uneducated,I

couldn't imagine taking your advice as you

come off like a teenager without anything but thumbs!.

ChalFarm,

For whatever this is worth.....the other guy is THAT bad. I know, not only because I've witnessed some of it myself, but also because her aunt and sisters have confirmed. I've seen the holes in her walls caused by his fists during anger. His FB page talks about his drug use. He's typically unemployed. And apparently, he was on a PlayStation3 forum (because he's a gamer) and the moderators kicked him off because of his angry and combative language.

I hate to sound vain. But he's an odd looking dude .......and I'm not. I'm compassionate and otherwise have the world in front of me. Now you know why I'm confused?

Wish me luck today.

First off,it's not vain to have confidence, but it is not a fair competition as she has children and a history with this man,not to mention what looks like a Betrayal Bond.

Secondly,

It's not personal,(so relax your ego) as to why she doesn't choose to be with you.She was conditioned to tolerate way too much abuse/neglect thanks to her AFOO(Alcoholic Family of Origin).

Not to mention years of abuse by her B/F and has what I can identify with,Learned Helplessness that allows her to continue the cycle of abuse that's all too familiar to her.

She can't break that cycle on her own and unless she is willing to seek HELP,she won't change.Cake-woman and Cake-man aren't simply healthy selfish people who want it all,they are DAMAGED people with Character/Personality disorders and serious entitlement and commitment issues that stem from thier FEARS of abandonment.

If he is THAT bad....what does that say about HER staying with him?

If she isn't leaving him and you haven't ended this,what does it say about you? We all have some amount of codependant behaviors that come out in relationships if we didn't have a fully functional childhood.

And really...who of us HAS been raised correctly?

Sounds like you have some "rescue compulsions" of your own or you wouldn't be anywhere near this woman.

Sounds like she could answer YES to all the questions posed by the man who helped me open my eyes.Patrick Carnes has a book called....The Betrayal Bond: Breaking free from Exploitive Relationships.

I suggest you buy it for her on Amazon.com.

This is the test I took long ago,to help me face WHY I stayed within abusive and exploitive relationships and how to escape them and not run back into the familiarity of the insecurity.

Reality may suck,but without knowledge we have NO power to change our lives for the better!

http://www.sexhelp.com/betrayal_bond.cfm

In addiction to her codependant behavior within BOTH relationships....

Sounds to me,like you are caught up in her "Drama Triangle".

Maybe this will help you comprehend the situation you have found yourself in.

Until she get's some serious therapy,even if she did wind up leaving him

and even if she is a "great legal mind" she has some relationship issues that won't change,just because she leaves her B/F.

http://www.lynneforrest.com/html/the_faces_of_victim.html

Maybe if you sent this to her e-mail,it might trigger a reaction in her to seek professional help!

In the meantime,you can't change or control her choices,you can only change your reaction to her choices.

Good Luck!

Edited by Heart On
bentnotbroken

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thumbs and all.:D

whichwayisup
First off,it's not vain to have confidence, but it is not a fair competition as she has children and a history with this man,not to mention what looks like a Betrayal Bond.

Secondly,

It's not personal,(so relax your ego) as to why she doesn't choose to be with you.She was conditioned to tolerate way too much abuse/neglect thanks to her AFOO(Alcoholic Family of Origin).

Not to mention years of abuse by her B/F and has what I can identify with,Learned Helplessness that allows her to continue the cycle of abuse that's all too familiar to her.

She can't break that cycle on her own and unless she is willing to seek HELP,she won't change.Cake-woman and Cake-man aren't simply healthy selfish people who want it all,they are DAMAGED people with Character/Personality disorders and serious entitlement and commitment issues that stem from thier FEARS of abandonment.

If he is THAT bad....what does that say about HER staying with him?

If she isn't leaving him and you haven't ended this,what does it say about you? We all have some amount of codependant behaviors that come out in relationships if we didn't have a fully functional childhood.

And really...who of us HAS been raised correctly?

Sounds like you have some "rescue compulsions" of your own or you wouldn't be anywhere near this woman.

Sounds like she could answer YES to all the questions posed by the man who helped me open my eyes.Patrick Carnes has a book called....The Betrayal Bond: Breaking free from Exploitive Relationships.

I suggest you buy it for her on Amazon.com.

This is the test I took long ago,to help me face WHY I stayed within abusive and exploitive relationships and how to escape them and not run back into the familiarity of the insecurity.

Reality may suck,but without knowledge we have NO power to change our lives for the better!

http://www.sexhelp.com/betrayal_bond.cfm

In addiction to her codependant behavior within BOTH relationships....

Sounds to me,like you are caught up in her "Drama Triangle".

Maybe this will help you comprehend the situation you have found yourself in.

Until she get's some serious therapy,even if she did wind up leaving him

and even if she is a "great legal mind" she has some relationship issues that won't change,just because she leaves her B/F.

http://www.lynneforrest.com/html/the_faces_of_victim.html

Maybe if you sent this to her e-mail,it might trigger a reaction in her to seek professional help!

In the meantime,you can't change or control her choices,you can only change your reaction to her choices.

Good Luck!

This is really good information and advice.

• Author

Heart On,

I know it's not a fair comparison between me and him becuase they have kids together.....and she loves her kids. And I also suspect there is an element of betrayal bond. And you are right, I do have a rescue mentality here. The thought of giving her and her kids a better life made me feel very good.

Let me add some information to the story .........

This all happened a couple of months ago, when he intercepted her cell phone records and found all of the telephone calls and texts to my number. He traced my number and found that it was me. Prior to that time, he knew she was dating, but didn't know it was me.

So he went to a bar, came back to the house and confronted her in front of their 6 and 3 year old boys. He told her that it was him or me.....in front of the boys. Of course, the boys started crying. She picked him ....right there on the spot. At that point, we were over.

Painful.......

• Author

Heart On,

You said she is codependent with BOTH of us? Please explain how I am involved in the codependent relationship with her? I'm intrigued. Learning. Want to know more.

Wow, NU

Understand the woman has children... but the guy sounds like a real winner. Confronts her in front of the little ones? :eek:

I think she is lost to you. Plus, seriously... do you want to be dealing with all that drama for the rest of your life? Trust me, the alcoholic drug addict loser father of the kiddies is not gonna go away and would always be present in your life. Always.

Who cares how great of a legal mind she has? I don't see much common sense here. Lay down the boundary, communicate about work only, and go on with you life and meet an unattached woman without all that drama!

• Author

Turbo,

Everything you say is true. Her own sister and best friend said to run and not look back. Common sense doesn't always prevail in matters of love. I suspect I do have a huge rescue mentality.

I think I can establish some boundries, but it doesn't make it any easier when I have to see her, smell her perfume, listen to her laugh and talk to other people ......every day.

However, I seem to be handling it better every day. And this forum has been awesome. I've gotten more good advice in the last 24 hours than in the last two monthsm

I know I should get over it. I know a relationship with her would just make my life too complicated .....because he would be in it. The truth is that she's probably gone forever anyway. But I can't help thinking it's just a matter of time before she'd come back ....and sadly .....I feel like I'd do it.

Uhgggggggg.........

If you want this woman, you have to pull away. She has to see you moving on with another woman to realize what she has lost and what she is left with - her loser husband. Can this man support her and the kids? Is she an attorney also and he's living off of her? Please don't let her have her cake and eat it too. That's what she has right now and if you want a chance with her you have to let her see what she doesn't have anymore. Trust us here on LS, we've seen this too many times.

• Author

Stillafool, thank you.

This other guy is not employed and has been unemployed most of the last 10 years. She is a paralegal, earns good money and has always supported him. Even during the course of the last year, when we were together and they were apart, she helped pay his bills because she didn't want her kids' father to be on the street.

I need this forum badly....... It is a day-to-day battle for me. On the one hand I hope, on the other hand I know that hoping isn't going to make me feel better. It's only going to make me feel worse.

BUT I feel much better talking about all of this stuff. Insteady of obsessing over everything she says and does, I am going to come here to vent. I'd love to help.

Next big question ......her B-Day is next week? Do I give her a card? Do I even wish her a happy B-Day?

• Author

BB07, you are right. I know, I know. We all have issues and I have mine. I don't what my text-book diagnosis is, but I'm socially and professionally very confident. I've always dated professionally successful women who had their lifes together. And for some damn reason, I feel drawn to this girl. It's a resue mentality. Perhaps I am as co-dependent as she is in some ways. Yes.....I am enabling her...

Do me a favor .....just listen to me when I have these daily feelings and encounters. I already feel more at peace with it all. When I get onto this forum, I feel better. Instead of obsessing about something she did or said, I come here ....I vent .....you guys set me straight ....and I move on. At least for a hour anyway.