"Wife awarded $9,000,000 after suing Mistress".

Mimolicious

I wonder what OW/OM have to say about this? Does this sound like an unfair judgement to you?

Of course, I have my own opinion and it's probably not going to be well digested. Yes, I think it was about time that those who cause pain and suffering are brought to at least civil court.

IMHO-Maybe it will make women within the 7 states that this century old law exist, think twice before they go boinking with a married man. :o

What a stupid ruling. I don't condone women going after married men but to sue them as if the cheating spuse has no accountability is just adsurd. We are becoming a society where people can sue over anything. What happened to divorcing the jerk and moving on with your life? She didn't put a gun to his head.

What a stupid ruling. I don't condone women going after married men but to sue them as if the cheating spuse has no accountability is just adsurd. We are becoming a society where people can sue over anything. What happened to divorcing the jerk and moving on with your life? She didn't put a gun to his head.

What happened to getting a divorce (or waiting until someone is divorced) before they start messing around?

When a person does something that can hurt others, it's only reasonable and logical to expect the person who gets hurt to react. Now, I would never think of suing or having anything to do with my H's OW, but that's me.

If a BW is able to sue then why not? The same question about right and wrong can be asked of the OW who had the affair with the MM (and of course the MM himself). The only person who can make the choice on how to react, is that person. Everyone make choices, and everyone has to live with the consequences of those choices. Obviously a jury agreed that the BW deserved $9mil. Who am I to say they are wrong?

Google that and, amazingly, it only shows up as one result, a LS thread :D

Change one letter and here ya go.

The dangers of long separations....

Sit Ubu, sit. Good dog...

What happened to getting a divorce (or waiting until someone is divorced) before they start messing around?

When a person does something that can hurt others, it's only reasonable and logical to expect the person who gets hurt to react. Now, I would never think of suing or having anything to do with my H's OW, but that's me.

If a BW is able to sue then why not? The same question about right and wrong can be asked of the OW who had the affair with the MM (and of course the MM himself). The only person who can make the choice on how to react, is that person. Everyone make choices, and everyone has to live with the consequences of those choices. Obviously a jury agreed that the BW deserved $9mil. Who am I to say they are wrong?

I agree with you that a person should not cheat but suing on OW is just asinine. Everything wrong in life should not be a suable offense. You shouldn't be able to get millions of dollars from somebody just because they did something you don't like.

They have been divorcing for the last 5 years...still not finalized. That is a rediculously long time for any divorce to still be meandering in any court in this country.

She is going for every dime imaginable from the both of them, IMHO.

....Hell hath no fury like...well, you know the rest.:):)

So if this is a just award should I have been able to sue every scumbag who came to the Jersey Shore in the summer of 2003?

I agree with you that a person should not cheat but suing on OW is just asinine. Everything wrong in life should not be a suable offense. You shouldn't be able to get millions of dollars from somebody just because they did something you don't like.

I don't know. I can sue you if you intentionally cause harm to me or my children, steal my money or my time without compensation....

Yep, an affair often encompasses all the above.

Why not?

A man successfully sued the OM in his triangle. Why not?

So if this is a just award should I have been able to sue every scumbag who came to the Jersey Shore in the summer of 2003?

No, only the one who knowingly hurt you or your family.

And you can divorce your spouse and take half of their assets.

Why not be able to sue the OW/OM IF, and it is a big IF, knew your spouse was married?

I don't know. I can sue you if you intentionally cause harm to me or my children, steal my money or my time without compensation....

Yep, an affair often encompasses all the above.

Why not?

A man successfully sued the OM in his triangle. Why not?

Why not do what I did and drop the cheating spouse then move on with your life. I didn't sure her and I only pressed charges for the shooting because my wife pressured me. I don't like getting the law involved in things.

it'll be $9,000 after appeals

Probably not the point....

Probably just wanted to embarrass her stbxH and his OW.

Probably feels fairly vindicated.

Probably wished he HAD divorced her now. Speaking from personal experience, probably SHE wishes it too. There is an humiliation factor as a BS, even though you are the victim.

I guess she thinks the revenge was worth it. It was never about the money.

Why not do what I did and drop the cheating spouse then move on with your life. I didn't sure her and I only pressed charges for the shooting because my wife pressured me. I don't like getting the law involved in things.

Well, I'm going to guess this guy was a serial cheater....and he begged to come back and be a good boy.

Stupid woman, she probably loved him and believed him....and then just had enough.

This law suit was her last straw. Some people just want someone to validate that they have been horribly wronged. The court di, and in the process made both their names a banner headline.

She won on some personal level.

ladydesigner
This law suit was her last straw. Some people just want someone to validate that they have been horribly wronged. The court di, and in the process made both their names a banner headline.

Yes this was definitely a public humiliation. It reminds me of the flipside situation of the OW who bought billboards and publicly humiliated her MM or XMM. Same type of treatment. Both sides are deserving of the humiliation. I'm not sure I would go THAT far. If my H cheats again his OW can have him. I won't even put up a fight:laugh:

Well, that is your choice. This woman made her choice and as long as the law allows it, it's her right.

Yes this was definitely a public humiliation. It reminds me of the flipside situation of the OW who bought billboards and publicly humiliated her MM or XMM. Same type of treatment. Both sides are deserving of the humiliation. I'm not sure I would go THAT far. If my H cheats again his OW can have him. I won't even put up a fight:laugh:

Agreed. I didn't even put up a fight the first time. As a matter of fact, I kicked him out. I never met or spoke to the OW and I want to keep it that way. But, that is us, this BW acted in a way that she felt was best for her. We may not agree but this isn't really up to us, the OW or the MM. Her H and his OW acted in a way that created her reaction. What did the BW do that was so wrong? She took advantage of something that is legal in her state. And, a jury agreed with her.

Why does the BW have to act more civilized towards the OW? You may think it's asinine to sue a OW and this BW may think it's asinine to have an affair. Why should the BW be held to a higher standard than the OW? IMO, both have made choices that I don't agree with, but it's their choice and they both have to live with those choices.

The BW was on some news channel. The anchors asked her about her husband (who has made a statement it seemed) having stated in a letter to the news team to having had previous affairs (so it wasn't this OW who set him on the path to ruin) and about the two of them having been in marriage counseling (prior to this extended divorce) three times. So hardly an "intact" marriage prior to the OW (who is still with the separating MM apparently) entering.

The long and short of it is, in another article, it was revealed that proper procedure was not followed by the state (apparently) and the OW wasn't even in court. Ergo she was unable to defend herself. So, not surprisingly, the jury sided with the plaintiff (the only party at the trial).

I agree with Spark1111 about the serial cheater and vindication.

A court of law should not be used to validate a person's emotions. I feel bad for the BW but suing an OW is taking it too far. She did not put a gun to the man's head and make him cheat.

If I'm reading the articles right, the lawsuit was filed around the same time the H and the OW published a book, in 2007. Hmmm...

The mistress said herself, that she didn't have that kind of money nor would she ever. So the lawsuit wasn't about getting rich.....

The divorce is still in the works after 5 years.....

Something tells me the wife asks "so how's the new life working for y'all?" every time she sees them.:p

This woman could better revenge by being happy and moving on with her life. This just shows she is still bitter.

This woman could better revenge by being happy and moving on with her life. This just shows she is still bitter.

I am curious to know what your responses in this thread would've been had it been a husband who was awarded that money because his wife cheated on him.