Infidelity Stats...

It's been called everything from having an "improper relationship" to having an "undercover lover" to having a "freak on the side." But whatever name it's given, it means one thing -- cheating. And relationship experts say men are doing it now more than ever.

In fact, experts estimate that nearly 75 percent of married men, or men involved in serious relationships, cheat. That means three men out of every four practice infidelity, if the numbers are to be believed. And maybe even more disturbing is the simultaneous collapse of the seven-year itch, the once-disreputable length of time it was thought to normally take a man to give into sexual temptation. Today, studies show that most men who cheat are doing it within the first three years of a relationship.

Men's Health quotes statistics that suggest 50% of men cheat on their spouses.

According to the current infidelity statistics 60% of men and 40% of women are involved in extramarital affair. These figures are even more drastic when the total numbers of marriages are considered. Because it is less likely that all the men and women having extramarital affairs do happen to be married to each other. At least half of the women having affairs are married to men are not included in the 60% ofmen having affairs, then at least one partner will have an affair in about 80% of all marriages.

According to the statistics on cheating spouses, 50 to 70% of married men (between 38 and 53 million men) have cheated or will cheat on their wives. One recent study found that 2/3 of the wives (26 to 36 million women) whose husbands were cheating had no idea their husbands were having an affair - largely because they failed to recognize their cheating signs.

Married men, particularly those in long term relationships, cheat mainly because they believe that having a short-term affair will resolve any problems temporarily they have at home and prevent them from 'hurting' anyone long term.

See... I don't think I'm way off...because, in my personal stats... I consider common-law spouses as well... which are not counted in the official stats. But IMO if someone lives common law with their spouse for over 5 years, and have kids... in my book... they're just like a 'married' couple...

Plus I don't think every person is telling the truth in those surveys...

I am not throwing those numbers just to stir the pot... I truly believe that most men cheat.... they are just 'wired' that way...

The 'small head' takes over most of the time... I tested that theory... LOL

Plus if you consider all the men that say that unless there is 'penetration' there is no cheating... I have heard that before and I also read about it... or... if they pay for the service... it's not cheating... I've heard that too a few times...

Not to be flaming here....but what's your point? Yes, men and women both cheat, does that make it right? NO. Cheating hurts people and destroys trust in couples. How can that be right? It's never right. No matter how many surveys they do or how many people lie or tell the truth in those surveys. Cheating is always going to be cheating. And it's always wrong.

And the point of this is what?

Yes, there is an unfortunate percentage of men, and women too, for whom being faithful, adhering to vows, whatever you wish to call it, is a daily challenge. I strongly suspect that it ranks right up there for them with walking upright.

But it's nice to know I've been mis-wired. I don't think I'll be calling the electrician to repair what I don't consider to be broken anytime soon, however! :p

Isn't it a shame so many are morally, ethically and commitment challenged?

And the point of this is what?

The point is, Curm, that she is trying to justify her own behavior.

If stats shown that 90% of people think its ok to kill someone, then I guess its ok then eh?

Tha point IS

I am not throwing those numbers just to stir the pot... I truly believe that most men cheat.... they are just 'wired' that way...

Everyone who asked what the point is:

I think she already explained what the point is why are you asking again?.

Why is this just directed towrd the men in the relationship?

There are just as many women who cheat as men.

Men and women are all different, not just men vs. women.

Some men can be faithfull or unfaithfull

Some women can be faithfull or unfaithfull

22 percent of married men have strayed at least once during their married lives.

14 percent of married women have had affairs at least once during their married lives.

Younger people are more likely candidates; in fact, younger women are as likely as younger men to be unfaithful.

70 percent of married women and 54 percent of married men did not know of their spouses' extramarital activity.

5 percent of married men and 3 percent of married women reported having sex with someone other than their spouse in the year1997.

22 percent of men and 14 percent of women admitted to having sexual relations outside their marriage sometime in their past.

90 percent of Americans believe adultery is morally wrong.

50 percent of Americans say President Clinton's adultery makes his moral standard "about the same as the average married man,'' according to a Time-CNN poll.

61 percent of Americans thought adultery should not be a crime in the United states; 35 percent thought it should; 4 percent had no opinion.

17 percent of divorces in the United States are caused by infidelity.

Since such a large portion of people have cheated at some point, it does seem interesting that only 17% of the divorces are actually caused by infidelity.

I also found it interesting that 90% find it morally wrong, and 35% actually thought it should be a crime!! Even though the percentages are so high for cheating.

Mustang Sally

I find this "data" interesting.

Makes me ask 2 questions (and I could probably come up with more, if given time):

1) If the person the married one is cheating with is single, are they (the single person) considered NOT to be cheating? In other words, if you have a friend that you let copy your work on an exam so they can cheat, are you not as guilty of cheating as the person who does the copying?

And

2) If men (and quite possibly -some or maybe all? - women, also, I contend) are "hard-wired" for cheating, as has been alleged, then is our current expectation of marriage (lasting a LIFETIME or +30-50 yrs) realistic or unrealistic? (I know this has been asked before and beat to death, but still this makes me readdress it in my own mind....)

See... I don't think I'm way off...because, in my personal stats... I consider common-law spouses as well... which are not counted in the official stats. But IMO if someone lives common law with their spouse for over 5 years, and have kids... in my book... they're just like a 'married' couple...

Plus I don't think every person is telling the truth in those surveys...

The 'small head' takes over most of the time... I tested that theory... LOL

Plus if you consider all the men that say that unless there is 'penetration' there is no cheating... I have heard that before and I also read about it... or... if they pay for the service... it's not cheating... I've heard that too a few times...

Key word in bold. Never trust fully a survey or stat unless the WHOLE world is taking into a count and they don't lie.

Survey's/stats are not 100% accurate.

I find this "data" interesting.

Makes me ask 2 questions (and I could probably come up with more, if given time):

1) If the person the married one is cheating with is single, are they (the single person) considered NOT to be cheating? In other words, if you have a friend that you let copy your work on an exam so they can cheat, are you not as guilty of cheating as the person who does the copying?

And

2) If men (and quite possibly -some or maybe all? - women, also, I contend) are "hard-wired" for cheating, as has been alleged, then is our current expectation of marriage (lasting a LIFETIME or +30-50 yrs) realistic or unrealistic? (I know this has been asked before and beat to death, but still this makes me readdress it in my own mind....)

If a single person is with a Married then him or her is helping that person be unfaithful, it is so complicated so I can not get into it but interested in others opinions...

Also one would guess that relations end and that is a part of life, each person in a relationship has to decide when it is time to move on.

People develop unhealthy attachments and never let go because of fear

I don't know I am living and learning.

Key word in bold. Never trust fully a survey or stat unless the WHOLE world is taking into a count and they don't lie.

Survey's/stats are not 100% accurate.

:lmao: That's a given! With your philosophy we can't quote any stats at all. So you are basically writing off ALL stats.

Even a population sensus done by the gov of a particular country cannot control what you just stated above yet they publish their numbers as a general fact. And that is as close as it comes to getting a somewhat accurte count.

A survey done by a publication or a website or any niche media outlet takes into account that this does not include EVERYONE.

It is never 100%

Stats are that, simply guesstimates of the response a specific survey produces. It doesn't matter if that's only one fraction of the population answering for THAT specific survey and for the people polled in that region or website or whatever, those were the results. Every stat you read about is done like that.

You think that when they publish any sort of psychology stats that the entire population has sat at lie detector tests to answer the questions honestly? You can't even get accurate counts on political votes let alone morality surveys.

It's a given people lie or that not EVERYONE may be polled.

If a single person is with a Married then him or her is helping that person be unfaithful, it is so complicated so I can not get into it but interested in others opinions...

Also one would guess that relations end and that is a part of life, each person in a relationship has to decide when it is time to move on.

People develop unhealthy attachments and never let go because of fear

I don't know I am living and learning.

In theory it's actually not complicated at all. By definition you are only a cheater if you aren't being unfaithful . So no, a single person is NOT considered a cheater. Only the person who has the commitment to another is.

Unfaithful: 1.not faithful; false to duty, obligation, or promises; faithless; disloyal. 2.not sexually faithful to a spouse or lover.

A single person has no obligation or promise sexual or otherwise to the third party.

Nice try but no cigar.

:lmao: That's a given! With your philosophy we can't quote any stats at all. So you are basically writing off ALL stats.

So be it then. I don't care which it why I never seem to quote stats or go by them. Just like divorce stats, can't go by them because the celebrities weigh it high.

And yes just like those stupid political polls. What I think like 40 people vote in so now that's how the whole US feels? :lmao: Yeah okay. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So be it then. I don't care which it why I never seem to quote stats or go by them. Just like divorce stats, can't go by them because the celebrities weigh it high.

And yes just like those stupid political polls. What I think like 40 people vote in so now that's how the whole US feels? :lmao: Yeah okay. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well that's fair, if you choose to write off stats because you feel they are not done accurately then that is absolutely your choice and have every right to not believe in them. And for those who want to believe in the numbers they think as they do as well.

Well that's fair, if you choose to write off stats because you feel they are not done accurately then that is absolutely your choice and have every right to not believe in them. And for those who want to believe in the numbers they think as they do as well.

Of course their not done accurately. Someone explain to me how they are. Hell if I go by these stats here, I should be in an affair. :laugh:

But yes if people want to believe them they can and do. Just don't see how they can.

Of course their not done accurately. Someone explain to me how they are. :laugh:

But yes if people want to believe them they can and do. Just don't see how they can.

one could live by the numbers or die by them...

your choice...

one could live by the numbers or die by them...

And how did you come up with that theory? Some stats you read somewhere? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

And how did you come up with that theory? Some stats you read somewhere? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ha ha ha....

your just mad cause you didn't come up with it first...

simply said without all the fuss...

carry on

ha ha ha....

your just mad cause you didn't come up with it first...

Mad because I didn't come with that first? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hun I can come up with cliches in my sleep. :lmao:

• Author

about the singles not being cheaters... they aren't committed to anyone or made any 'promises'.

So singles ARE NOT cheaters... na na na na boo boo :p

Mad because I didn't come with that first? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hun I can come up with cliches in my sleep. :lmao:

ok Hun...maybe it is just me but I strongly dislike when men and other women call me hun...

I think you need a nap.

I am saying that you can not always rely on the numbers because you can make them seem a certian way by who you ask, in what part of the country, or the world for that matter.

about the singles not being cheaters... they aren't committed to anyone or made any 'promises'.

So singles ARE NOT cheaters... na na na na boo boo :p

For me if I am in a relationship and if I open my heart to someone, then that means that I am in a committed relationship, which means that I am not single...just not married.

So I am a person who is not married but is with a married man becuase I like his company as well as care about him.

I guess everyone justifies themselves some way for me it is the statement above.

So what makes someone a cheater?

Is it being with more than one person when you are unmarried and sleeping with multiples?

• Author
For me if I am in a relationship and if I open my heart to someone, then that means that I am in a committed relationship, which means that I am not single...just not married.

So I am a person who is not married but is with a married man becuase I like his company as well as care about him.

I guess everyone justifies themselves some way for me it is the statement above.

So what makes someone a cheater?

Is it being with more than one person when you are unmarried and sleeping with multiples?

Being with multiple partners, if you're single, doesn't make that person a cheater either.

If you're with a married man..and you are single... it makes HIM a cheater, not you...