Can an ex sue for alimony after a divorce is final?

Get a load of this because the best screenwriter could not write this. My ex just called me with my own mother and is threatening to get a lawyer and sue me for alimony. Can this be done after a divorce is finalized? My mother is getting her some lawyer from a woman's organization because I need to take responsibility as a man. We had no kids together so what the hell do I owe this woman? And people wonder why I am so bitter towards women.

i didn't know you were married. I can't believe you mom is helping her as a feminist she should be all about the girl supporting herself without help from a man.

I have no idea thought if it would succeed I guess it depends on how long you were married, how long ago you divorced and what you standard of living was in the marriage but I thought you had to be married for 10 years before you were required to pay alimony.

• Author
i didn't know you were married. I can't believe you mom is helping her as a feminist she should be all about the girl supporting herself without help from a man.

I have no idea thought if it would succeed I guess it depends on how long you were married, how long ago you divorced and what you standard of living was in the marriage but I thought you had to be married for 10 years before you were required to pay alimony.

Yeah I was married once briefly. She cheated and I filed for divorce. She wants me back and now is claiming that I emotionally abused her. She was the one that abused me.

My mother is just a woman that hates men and will everything in her power to hurt us and that includes her own son. If it hurts men feminists are for it.

See woggle, you mom ISN'T a feminist. If she were, she'd be expecting this woman to support herself, not be dependent on a man. Your mom is just sick. Don't apply what she believes to feminism.

To answer your question, after a divorce is finalized, I can't imagine she has any grounds to ask for support. If you were married for over ten years, and you have a backwards state, maybe, but I doubt it.

If you have a law school in your city, many third year students answer legal questions for free as part of community service. I would recommend calling and finding out if your ex has any grounds before you go spend money on a lawyer.

Also, I think if she drags you to court and has no grounds for her suit, you can require her to pay for any legal fees you have to pay to defend yourself. I would get as much information as possible, so next time she calls you have all your ducks in a row. Maybe if she sees you know the law and will fight her, she will back down.

Yeah I was married once briefly. She cheated and I filed for divorce. She wants me back and now is claiming that I emotionally abused her. She was the one that abused me.

My mother is just a woman that hates men and will everything in her power to hurt us and that includes her own son. If it hurts men feminists are for it.

that's not really feminists that just your mom. But I would think if you were only married breifly it would fly. You could do some reaserch online about you state laws before paying for a lawer.

catgirl1927

Thank you! It's NOT feminism to just want to hurt men. That's crazy man-hating.

I will be SHOCKED if she has any legal ground to stand on at all.

I am so so sorry your mother is such a bad person. I haven't spoken to mine in 15 years because she is hateful and cruel, just like this nonsense. You need these poison women out of your life. I would kick them if I were that close. I'll show them "feminism"! They're out there making intelligent women look bad.

Most cases for support (child or alimony) can always be reopened. However, most judges will not hear them. If you were married in excess of 10 years (in most states) there is a thing called rehabilitative alimony. It is a set period (typically no longer than 5 years) and it is not a huge number. It is designed for the stay at home wife to get her feet back on the ground. Allow her to work at an admin position earning less than needed wages--your alimony picks up the slack--and after 5 years she should be able to support herself on her own.

Now tyypically, this is awarded in the stay at home MOM situations. If it goes through, you may want to make the point (if it can be made) that she is capable of earning the same as you. In my divorce, there was no child support or alimony (we share custody 50-50) but the judge ruled that my ex had the same level of eductation and was able to earn an equivalent living. If she chose not to--that was her issue.

I would not sweat too much over this at all!

freaking moms......... man then they wonder why the boys go all crazy and want nothing to do with them.....woggle i don't think she can but you never know go see a lawyer yourself and find out for sure

• Author
Was she employed while you were married? Is she employed now?

That bitch crazy.

She was employed but she claims I held her back in her career. How I don't know but apparently I did.

catgirl1927
She was employed but she claims I held her back in her career. How I don't know but apparently I did.

What a load of crap. How could you possibly do that?

NO...

Once the divorce is final it is final

You have a right to live a life free and clear from her interference.. it will say that in your decree..

catgirl1927
NO...

See, this was my understanding as well. If you could sue for more money, I'm fairly sure my ex would have tried that by now.

• Author
What a load of crap. How could you possibly do that?

She says I stole her identity and crushed her self esteem. I was talking to my fiance and I still have the answering machine messages where she isthreatening to kill me and boil my cat. I think it is time for the cops to hear them. I am sick of her crap.

Since she was employed while you were married AND the case has already been heard, I seriously doubt any sane judge would agree to reopen this case. She is just being snotty and hateful.

Woggle- just out of curiosity, why does your mom have your phone number? She sounds like such a horrible person. You don't have kids she wants to be a grandma to, so why not just cut her out? I mean, I know it is easier said than done, but it just seems your life would have a lot more peace if you cut her out all together, you know?

Well now you have a very good reason to exclude your mother from your pending wedding don't you!

I would sue both of them for emotional trauma......so should your fiance :mad:

Wow what the hell is your mother doing talking to your X anywho?

Sorry Woggle your mother is sick sick sick in the head. I would go NC ASAP.

• Author
Since she was employed while you were married AND the case has already been heard, I seriously doubt any sane judge would agree to reopen this case. She is just being snotty and hateful.

Woggle- just out of curiosity, why does your mom have your phone number? She sounds like such a horrible person. You don't have kids she wants to be a grandma to, so why not just cut her out? I mean, I know it is easier said than done, but it just seems your life would have a lot more peace if you cut her out all together, you know?

Believe it or not I still do love her and I have spent my life trying to get her to see how much she hurt me but that is probably a lost cause. I might have to cut her out of my life. Plus my mom knows where I work and she called my work number.

catgirl1927
She says I stole her identity and crushed her self esteem. I was talking to my fiance and I still have the answering machine messages where she isthreatening to kill me and boil my cat. I think it is time for the cops to hear them. I am sick of her crap.

Oh please. Let me guess, you crushed her delicate spirit and so she was left no option but sit on her ass? What bulls***. I would definitely let the cops hear the recording. If it even comes to that. Any decent attorney will laugh in their faces. Some crazy loon extremist might give it a try and let the legal system claim once again that women aren't competent to be attorneys because they sue over bs. I HATE women like that. Lazy, worthless leeches!!! :mad:

climbergirl
NO...

You have a right to live a life free and clear from her interference.. it will say that in your decree..

Not necessarily true, unless you signed a KARON waiver stating that neither party can go back to court asking for less or more money. In addition, I think she could go back to court requesting an addendum of sorts if she can prove fraud.

I agree, though, this is bulls***. I would never forgive my mother if she interferred and tried to put the screws to me. The ex has already proven what kind of woman she is.

• Author
Oh please. Let me guess, you crushed her delicate spirit and so she was left no option but sit on her ass? What bulls***. I would definitely let the cops hear the recording. If it even comes to that. Any decent attorney will laugh in their faces. Some crazy loon extremist might give it a try and let the legal system claim once again that women aren't competent to be attorneys because they sue over bs. I HATE women like that. Lazy, worthless leeches!!! :mad:

I wish there were more feminists like you. She got laid off while we were married and I was the one encouraging her to get a good job and better her self. I was he rbiggest cheerleader so I don't see where she gets off saying that I held her back.

amaysngrace

i live in nj too. i waived my right to alimony and he did too. this is forever. was it specifically addressed in the divorce decree that you waive and she waives alimony at the time? it should have been addressed.

unless you signed a KARON waiver stating that neither party can go back to court asking for less or more money.

I would think his attorney would take care of that.. it is standard to lock up a divorce this way when there are no kids.

Woggle....Look at your decree.. it will tell you what you signed and if there is any language that addreeses future issues.

catgirl1927

She's just making excuses. She's lazy and wants something for nothing.

Most feminists are like me. Your mother is NOT a feminist. She's a bitch. There's a distinct difference.

I wish I could decode the hold she has on you. So many men have this connection to their mothers. Of course, I can't deny that if my father suddenly decided he was proud of me and wanted to be in my life that I wouldn't be tempted. It must just be the way we're wired.

No contact has been the way to go for me. I recommend trying it, really. The pain lessens with time, it really does.

Believe it or not I still do love her and I have spent my life trying to get her to see how much she hurt me but that is probably a lost cause. I might have to cut her out of my life. Plus my mom knows where I work and she called my work number.

I won't go into details about my life with my mother b/c even after years of therapy they are still too painful. But I totally get where you are coming from. No matter how mean, hateful, and abusive she was, I spent my life trying to get her to love me they way I needed her to. And spent years being disappointed and hurt. I will never be 'completely over' her, but I am a lot better now.

Have you gone to any counseling at all concerning this? I was very skeptical at first myself, but it helped me. Especially if you and your fiance are considering having kids one day, this is baggage you really need to deal with before kids, or it will really affect your ability to parent them the way you want to.

Most feminists are like me. Your mother is NOT a feminist. She's a bitch. There's a distinct difference.

Yep. 100% correct.