Things you LIKE about marriage

Okay, so most people that post here are looking for advice for their marriage problems. I think the whole marriage thing could use some positivity. Sooo...for those of you out there in happy marriages, tell us:

What do you like about marriage?

What do you like about your spouse?

What techniques do you use to keep up a healthy marriage?

i was married for 3 yrs. It was the worst 3 yrs of my life. I truly cannot say one positive thing about being married. At least from my experience. :)

LucreziaBorgia

1. What do you like about marriage?

2. What do you like about your spouse?

3. What techniques do you use to keep up a healthy marriage?

1. Knowing that I am going to spend the rest of my life with someone who loves and accepts me just as I am, and who I accept just as he is. It is a family member who gets to share the deepest parts of who I am, and with whom he shares the deepest parts of himself. Now, that's not to say that its always pleasant to hear those, or share them - but knowing that the acceptance and understanding is as deep as it is with one's own parents or other family members, and knowing that the security is as great as it is with any other family member is comforting.

2. I like it that he can tell me literally anything and I can do the same with him. Even when it might not be what we want to hear or accept, we do - because we love each other deeply. With that great love comes the acceptance of each other as people and not just as "husband and wife". In most typical relationships there is a sense that some parts of you have to be hidden or downplayed or else the relationship will end. Its not like that for me and Mr. B. There is nothing to hide from one another, nor a need to do so. We are individuals, partners, parents, lovers and friends in addition to being "husband" and "wife". Our relationship transcends the typical boundaries. It isn't always easy, but I wouldn't want to be married to someone unless I could be a fully realized person in addition to being a "wife".

3. Communication. Open, honest communication - even if it goes into painful or "I don't want to hear it" territory. There has to be an overthrowing of the fear of exposing yourself and being vulnerable to someone. The respect and undestanding between us has to be more important than the fear of losing what we have. We know that we won't - but sometimes that fear will creep in and we just have to make sure we are on the same page about things and never, ever, ever take what we have for granted or make assumptions based simply on the fact that we are married. We make our marriage fit who we are. We don't fit ourselves to some artificial standard of "what marriage should be."

Having that kind of bond with someone. Coming home to another person who is my soft place to land.

He's honest and loves me unconditionally. He's a great teacher, son, father and husband.

Communication, communication, communication!

What do i like about marriage?

Nothing it isn't what i thought it would be!! I WANT MORE THAN WHAT I GET!!

What do i like about my spouse ?

The only thing when we get along he can be a comedian!! h can be fun but he has a very bad temper!!

What techniques do you use to keep a healthy marriage?

I try to use the communication because without that there is alot of conflict.. My h doesn't want to communicate with me because he says i bitch and nag too much.. lol whatever !! I TRY BUT IT ANYTIME I TELL HIM HOW I FEEL ABOUT THINGS IT CAUSES A BIG ARGUMENT .. I would say to communicate and always be open and honest and always always tell each other everything no matter what!!

whichwayisup

Great question!

Well, I'm not legally married, meaning the wedding and walk down the isle, but we're commonlaw. Been together for 13 years. So, that's married in my books. Close enough!

The fact I'm am with someone who brings out the best in me. (Most of the time...:laugh: ) He gives me security, love, companionship, a loving life and he is my partner through everything. I can rely on him and he'll never let me down. I like waking up next to him everyday, I love falling asleep beside him too. I like feeling loved and cared for, understood and respected. I like that I'm not alone in this crazy world!

He loves me and puts up with ALL my crazyness and weirdness. I have afew quirks but they're more or less funny...Though I'm sure it would drive somebody else to the nuthouse.

I love that he does nice things for me, even when I'm not too nice at times. Especially when I'm grumpy and sick, he looks after me so well. I love that he's just there. He treats me well and lives up to the rule we made, never go to bed angry with eachother. I like that he's him and doesn't change with the wind. He's strong, funny, irritating as heck sometimes, but he's mine. Wouldn't trade him in the for the world!

We talk. We don't let things fester and as I mentioned above, we don't go to bed pissed off at eachother. Only twice.

Be together, but allow eachother time apart to do separate things. I don't want to spend ALL my time with my hubby, he drives me crazy on a good day, so it's good for each of us to do our own thing at times. We're not together to entertain eachother 24/7.

Respect eachother. We NEVER cross the line during an argument. He's never once called me a b!tch, I've never said anything like that to him either. And we don't swear at eachother.

Don't get upset over little things, it's just not worth it.

Most of all, we tell eachother I love you daily. We show it not only in words but in actions too.

beautifully said, LB ... I'd have to agree with every word.

best part about marriage is having someone who "gets" me – my moods, my feelings, my beliefs – and even though he may not agree with some of it, he still respects it.

best thing about my husband is his sense of humor and his very southern-gentlemanly manners. Mind you, he can be a butthead at times, but that's far outweighed by the aforementioned things.

best thing we did to help make our marriage healthy was to go on a Marriage Encounter weekend 8 years ago. That gave us the tools to communicate better; the understanding that even though we go through some crappy periods, love is a solid foundation in our relationship; and a better appreciation of why we are the people we are, of how our beliefs and how we were raised play into that.

I love knowing that I have a wonderful friend, lover & companion in my life. It makes life's trials & tribulations so much easier to handle.

There isn't anywhere near enough space in this forum for EVERYTHING, but I love her gentle, loving spirit, & that she loves me no matter what kind of a pain-in-the-pants I've been. We've been through quite a few things together in recent years, & I believe some of the trials have actually strengthened our relationship.

Lots, & I mean LOTS of loving attention.

You cannot say "I Love You!" too often.

Attention to small details. You would be surprised what a dozen red roses (besides on her birthday, anniversary, etc.) does for a woman's self-esteem.

Gentle touches & kisses. A nice long foot massage (I know, Tiki! Not for you!!:laugh: ).

A good faith effort to communicate.

Respect & sensitivity towards her feelings.

And anything else that makes her feel loved, honored, & cherished.

How can you tell if sour cream has gone bad? Does it taste good?

You cannot say "I Love You!" too often.

Yes you can...and the more you say it the less it means. Try to say it on special occassions only and not more than 3 or 4 times per year.

i was married for 3 yrs. It was the worst 3 yrs of my life. I truly cannot say one positive thing about being married. At least from my experience. :)

Amen Alpha,

My marriage was for 1 1/2 years, from that experiance I can say nothing nice....... But I did find someone that changed my mind, because I swore after I got out of my marriage I would never do that again, but he also had a really bad marriage and doesn't want anything to do with it again.... Oh well..

Yes you can...and the more you say it the less it means. Try to say it on special occassions only and not more than 3 or 4 times per year.

Are you my ex boyfriend? You sound just like him.

I respectfully disagree.

does not, alpha! One of the nicer things about DH is that he makes it a point to tell me at least once a day that he loves me – no macho "i'm better than this" BS, just simply acting through on his love for me by saying it. And sometimes, it's that very thing that makes a shxtty day not so bad ...

:laugh: of course, with us, sex is what is expressed on the "special occasions" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Let me see…china, we got great china and oh, the silver, never use it but wow it looks good.

I respectfully nonconcur.

A day does not go by that Gina & I do not tell the other I Love You. And no, we are not insecure about our relationship.

If either or both of us are having a bad day at work or wherever, it does a lot for morale to hear at least one nice, positive thing. That is "I Love You!"

It has worked quite well for us for almost 10 years, & has gotten us through some very sad & discouraging times.

What if people stopped throwing rice at weddings, and threw potatoes instead?

:laugh: of course, with us, sex is what is expressed on the "special occasions" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gee, why wait for that?! :laugh::p:laugh::p

Regular Oral Sex from someone who knows exactly what speed, stroke, and pressure.

Didn't I just answer that?

Return the favor.

Seriously though, I echo what's been said. I've got to say, we argue a bit too. I think that's one of the things that keep us healthy. Not just the "I feel" statements and the "I would sure like it if you'd....." but the occasional F-Yourself, or A-hole or B-tch comes flying out. I'm sorry, I know it's not the new standard, but for us, a little air cleaning every now and then is cathartic. I'd rather know what he's thinking, bad words and all, than make up worst-case scenarios in my head, start seeing suspicious things in every little action or phrase, and then drive myself and him nuts. If we've got enough passion to blow our top now and then, we can blow our lower sides with that same passion later. :)

I'd rather know what he's thinking

*ahem*

are you the missy who, several months back who admitted she liked seeing her beloved blush by telling him how well-endowed he is?

don't ask me what triggered this memory!!! :eek: :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

1. what I like about marriage..the fact that I am loved enough to warrant a lifetime commitment, and the fact that i love someone enought o give one

2. what I like about my spouse...ALMOST everything

3. what tecniques I use for a better marriage...live and learn, I don't dwell on the little things like I did when I was younger. Pick your battles carefully, don't waste time fighting about stupid things, because if you do, maybe you're just looking for a fight and not resolution.

"Yes you can...and the more you say it the less it means. Try to say it on special occassions only and not more than 3 or 4 times per year."

My ex-husband thought EXACTLY as you do. And that's one of the reasons he's my EX-husband.

Boy, can you use a lesson on how to please a woman!

Let me see…china, we got great china and oh, the silver, never use it but wow it looks good.

:lmao::D:lmao:

Waking up with my wife...the warmth of the accidental touch in bed that tells you their here.

The SEX..it's great.

-KAris