Do it when I ask you vent

In April I made travel arrangements for DH & I to fly from the NY metro area to LA so he can hang out with his Marine buddies in early August. This is an annual trip. I asked him to book a rental car. Yesterday I found out he didn't do that. Now econo boxes are $65+ / day. :eek: They were renting for under $30 / day when I asked him to make the reservation. Sports cars are $72 / day so I booked one.

He is now annoyed at me. :mad: Can you believe that?

Maybe, next time I ask him to do something he will. grrrrr

Oh well just means I'm gonna get to tool around LA in style. :D

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

Didn't you learn your lesson from the chicken fiasco, when he purchased the wrong chicken??

There are things that your husband is willing to do and not do. If he doesn't like the task, then he won't do it or do it wrong, so you won't ask him to do it again.

Tell him that because of the rental car fiasco, there will not be enough money in the budget for next year's trip.

And if you go the year after, make all of the arrangements yourself, as this is something he doesn't like to do.

As a side note, don't you get the best deals if you book the flight, rental car and hotel all in a package price??

• Like 1

I was renting cars for a couple of months recently and learned a lot. I rented from Enterprise. I found out the best day to rent and the fastest pickup/dropoff was Sunday. At first I was renting for a couple days at a time and it was about $45 a day (not an SUV). Then I discovered if you rented on Sunday, it was the cheapest day to rent. Then I discovered that if you rented for an entire week on a Sunday, it was cheaper than renting at the regular rates for three days. So I started doing that and it was coming out to $27 a day on the weekly rate. Much cheaper.

So consider renting for an entire week if you are renting for 3 or more days anyway and just pick it up on Sunday.

But then that was in the spring. As soon as the holiday came around when school is out and vacations begin, all the rates doubled. Summer and holidays is not the time to rent a car.

I also found that the rents changed by the hour of the day you were making the reservation. Those rented in the morning and to about 1 or 2 in the afternoon were more expensive than on the same day renting 2 o'clock or after. They're taking advantage of business renters there.

So rent on Sunday (Saturday isn't too bad either) and rent in the afternoon and rent for a whole week for the best deal not on a holiday or in the summer.

As for people who put things off and give these thing no thought and then expect you to pony up extra money, that sucks. That's just procrastination. He was probably hoping you'd just take care of it if he waited long enough. Grrr.

• Like 1
amaysngrace

$7 a day to go from econo car to sports car is a good deal.

You should thank him for that.

• Like 3

it's beyond me why anyone would want to go to LA...I lived there for a year, its a dump

• Like 1
In April

Oh well just means I'm gonna get to tool around LA in style. :D

Correction: You're going to get to sit in traffic at the stop lights in LA in style. Not much traffic movement going on there. I haven't been since the late eighties, so I can't imagine how it could get worse than that. What a mess. The ONLY time you can go through an intersection is when the light is red.

• Like 2
Correction: You're going to get to sit in traffic at the stop lights in LA in style. Not much traffic movement going on there. I haven't been since the late eighties, so I can't imagine how it could get worse than that. What a mess. The ONLY time you can go through an intersection is when the light is red.

I lived in LA in 2000, I worked in santa monica and lived in Pasadena, it would take me 2.5 hours one way

• Like 1
BettyDraper

My husband used to be a procrastinator.

He would take months and sometimes even years to complete tasks or follow through on promises.

One day I had enough and screamed at him for over 15 minutes. The resentment reached a breaking point. My husband didn’t say a word. He just did what he said he would for nearly a year and never procrastinated again.

• Like 1
I lived in LA in 2000, I worked in santa monica and lived in Pasadena, it would take me 2.5 hours one way

I went to Pasadena High School for a year... When I was a kid I spent a lot of time at the beach... use to take the school bus to PHS walk around the corner and catch the city bus to Long Beach or Seal beach... I forget... great times! lol... :lmao: I was such a bas ass in those days. lol...

LA is a fun city to visit! Last year I went to Universal Studio and had a blast. I also spent a couple of days at Huntington Beach. I'm taking my daughter's family to Disneyland for Christmas this year.

My husband used to be a procrastinator.

He would take months and sometimes even years to complete tasks or follow through on promises.

One day I had enough and screamed at him for over 15 minutes. The resentment reached a breaking point. My husband didn’t say a word. He just did what he said he would for nearly a year and never procrastinated again.

I sure as hell don't want my wife to read this post. Nothing ruins my day faster then my wife telling me what worthless jerk I am. Give the guy some credit Betty. He got it done, right?

• Author

It's all good. I "punished" DH by "making" him take me out to dinner. lol :p

I have driven in LA before & understand that the 405 is called that because it's takes 4 or 5 hours to get anywhere on that darn road.

I appreciate the tip about renting cars on Sundays. Does that mean booking the reservation on a Sunday or having the rental start then?

Thanks for letting me vent.

• Like 1

did you also punish him by making him have sex w/ you? :laugh:

I appreciate the tip about renting cars on Sundays. Does that mean booking the reservation on a Sunday or having the rental start then?

having the rental start on Sunday

LA is a fun city to visit!

if the earthquakes don't get you the $4.50/gal gas will :lmao:

I have driven in LA before & understand that the 405 is called that because it's takes 4 or 5 hours to get anywhere on that darn road.

lol... Maybe there is something to the name. lol... We have a 405 up here in WA and I call it the 405 crawl. They implemented toll lanes that can cut the time in half but it will cost you $10 during peak time. lol.

• Like 1

H is a fellow procrastinator. I feel your pain!

With travel, I book everything and he does all the driving. Feels fair to me... :p

• Like 1

Having the rental start then. Because first you have to put in your dates, you know. Sunday afternoon is good. Also, it's much less crowded there afternoon.

I sure as hell don't want my wife to read this post. Nothing ruins my day faster then my wife telling me what worthless jerk I am. Give the guy some credit Betty. He got it done, right?

My deal is I vowed never to be a nagger, so if someone puts me into a position of either having to nag or do it myself, I'm outa there. If there's something someone isn't going to do, they need to settle it when the subject first comes up and see if it's resolvable or not. No one should stay with someone who not only doesn't want to do their share but also doesn't want to be talked to about it. It makes for a miserable existence and sets a bad role model for kids, whether you're the procrastinator or the nagger or the one who just does it herself.

• Like 1
They implemented toll lanes that can cut the time in half but it will cost you $10 during peak time. lol.

Wait until "dynamic pricing" hits the toll roads in your area:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/12/07/states-governments-increasingly-turn-tolls-manage-highway-traffic-jams/930900001/

The more congested it becomes, the more expensive the tolls are. At the height of rush hour, can cost you $30-$40 to drive ten miles in LA...

Mr. Lucky

Lol, I visited a few years back and this was definitely true! Took us 2 hours to get from the Getty to our dinner destination in Koreatown...

• Author

I will never be able to make the Sunday start happen for this trip. The reunion is always the 1st weekend in August. We fly out to LA Thursday night & fly home Monday. It's a short hop.

Wait until "dynamic pricing" hits the toll roads in your area:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/12/07/states-governments-increasingly-turn-tolls-manage-highway-traffic-jams/930900001/

The more congested it becomes, the more expensive the tolls are. At the height of rush hour, can cost you $30-$40 to drive ten miles in LA...

Mr. Lucky

That's what we have dynamic pricing... it changes depending on congestion... but wow... $30-$40 one way! I am so glad I don't live and commute in LA. I'm close to retirement now so hopefully I never see the $30-$40 here.

I will never be able to make the Sunday start happen for this trip. The reunion is always the 1st weekend in August. We fly out to LA Thursday night & fly home Monday. It's a short hop.

Yeah, it can't always work. Probably mostly when you pick up locally. Hope you enjoy your trip! I do love L.A., or at least used to. Haven't been forever, but it was good for music and super easy to meet guys there for some reason.

BettyDraper

I'm sorry that your wife throws such harsh words at you.

However, I did not say that I insulted my husband. I simply raised my voice at him. A person can raise her voice without name calling.

My husband completed that task after I screamed at him. It should not have taken several polite requests and broken promises for my husband to follow through.

The good thing is my husband doesn't procrastinate anymore. He also no longer makes promises that he doesn't intend to keep.

My husband says he hates to see me so upset over easily avoidable situations.

• Like 1
My husband completed that task after I screamed at him.

He sounds like a standup guy, if a little deaf.

• Like 2