Ring Shape Problems

Hi all, I'm looking for real world experience with wearing engagement / wedding rings and if there are problems with some cuts or shapes snagging on stuff when being worn. If you have worn, or wear a ring with a cut stone (such as a diamond), have you ever had problems with it catching or snagging on stuff when wearing it? If you could share with me the cut or shape, and tell me yes or not if you've had problems, that would be helpful. Some types of cuts and shapes include princess, marquise, cushion, emerald, radiant, pear, and oval.

The purpose of this post is to determine if some shapes are less likely to cause issues with everyday use.

To get extra specific, my sweetheart rarely wears a gemstone ring I purchased for her because it is too big. I hinted about an engagement ring, and if she'd wear it, and she expressed concern about wearing it in the classroom, as it might catch on stuff with the kids around. She suggested that the cut of the stone might make a difference. I'd like to know if it would matter or not. (I'm guessing the cut wouldn't matter much.)

Thank you!

Happy Lemming

What about a smooth stone, like an opal??

Do you think she would like / wear that??

heartwhole2

You can have a stone set in a bezel or tension setting so that there are no prongs. Prongs are what catch on things, so even if your diamond has no corners (round, oval, cushion) the prongs can still catch.

I have a two carat Old European Cut diamond in a belcher style setting. It does have prongs, but because they scallop around the ring and there's not really space in between, I don't have a problem with it catching on anything, though somethings I will hit the whole ring on a wall or something since it is a larger stone. I haven't damaged the ring though.

The cut of the stone is really a matter of personal preference. If you have corners (princess) you could possible chip a corner if you hit it the right way, but assuming your stone is properly set this shouldn't be a concern (and you should insure it, of course).

Look into a bezel or a halo and keep it low set.

heartwhole2
What about a smooth stone, like an opal??

Do you think she would like / wear that??

Opals are actually quite soft so not the best choice for someone worried about damaging the ring.

• Like 1

Yep, it's the prongs that create the problems. I have a diamond shaped diamond, but have had the prongs replaced several times because they've gotten snagged and bent. I am rough on jewelry and have thought if I ever replace my set I'd probably skip the engagement ring and just go with the band.

amaysngrace

I’ve worn a marquise and a round (twice engaged) and didn’t have a problem with either one.

My ring was round, and it was vintage. It had many small diamonds that were deeper into a very pretty, very intricate setting rather than one big one. I wore it every day without any issues.