I'm not sure where this post should go, so I'll put it here.

If you have been married to someone with combat related PTSD, and they seemed to improve, did it come back?

My husband had serious issues with PTSD about 10 years ago, and he got help, He put in a huge amount of work and seemed to improve, but lately, he's sort of slipping.

He yells without realizing it and is really negative. The hair trigger temper is showing itself a bit, so is the obsession with order and clutter upsets him- before, it was because IEDs were often hidden under piles of clutter. He also has a fear that something will happen to me or one of our kids.

I've also found him crying a couple of times. Not a sad crying, it's hard to explain, but you know it if you see it.

He's got some appointments made for counseling and other help, but I'm worried that it could get as bad as it did last time. If you or your spouse have been through this, did the PTSD symptoms return, and if so, was it as bad as the first time? He has been using cannabis again to try and help himself until he can see the counselor. I've tried to get him to talk to me about it, but he won't.

I also have PTSD... not from combat with war but from the domestic violence I have endured... and yes it does come back... it is a life long thing. You never know is something out of the blue will trigger it. I worked hard and I'm sure your husband has worked hard to learned good coping skills to deal with it. It's a one day at a time thing.

• Like 1

I also had noncombat PTSD but mine is gone except for one small facet to do with associations and I am only triggered or have dread of certain music now. Not debilitating at all, just don't put myself through it.

Some studies showed that IF a person is going to get better, it sometimes does happen at about 9 or 10 years. That was my case, but something specific lifted me out of it (reading my old journal, remembering who I was).

It's possible the marijuana isn't helping at all. You do realize that it makes you VERY paranoid, so someone with ptsd shouldn't even be using it! That could be why he's freaking at clutter, or that it's making that worse, paranoia. I'd have gone crazy if I got high during that time. I didn't even drink and I was a heavy drinker before that. I couldn't afford to be more out of control.

Anyway, get him back to whoever treated him for a refresher! Good luck.

• Like 1

I agree with preraph about the weed. That might not be helping some strains are more prone paranoia. In my own personal experience... my triggers are far and few in between now and not as bad...

• Like 1
loversquarrel

I suffer from PTSD and for me it comes and goes. I thought I was out of the woods as I had been completely free from it for the past 5 years, but then I suffered a major setback due to a trigger. This happened last year and it was just as bad as the last time. Your husband shouldn't be smoking weed as it makes things worse with paranoia. He should be in proper counseling and if need be on a proper medication. Unfortunately only time will help but recovery to normalcy can happen quicker with the right methods.

• Like 1

Modern weed is not the same as that of yesteryear. Hash was basically a harmless relaxant beloved of students.

Modern weed is often very powerful stuff with a high THC content.

It is not harmless.

Old fashioned "hash" is in some places extremely difficult to find and buy.

He needs to stop the weed.

• Like 1
Kitty Tantrum

Cannabis is an interesting thing. I suspect I have a mild form of (complex) PTSD thanks to my first marriage, and I've often justified cannabis use as "cheaper than therapy." If I don't use it regularly enough to build a tolerance to it, a little bit can stop a panic attack dead in its tracks. But that means I have to be really good about not using it willy-nilly for recreational purposes, because the more I have to use to make a difference, the less likely it is that difference will be good/positive.

But I've had a lot of people tell me that cannabis makes them paranoid or anxious no matter what, so it definitely could be hurting more than it's helping. :eek:

• Like 1

I must have PTSD cause I was born breech....it would explain quite a few things in my life

• Like 1
  • Author

The weed he's using is a prescription strain with a low THC level and relatively high cannaboids. It was given to him by the one of the first psychiatrists who treated him. It helps , but not much.

He's on the wait list to see a therapist, and I hope he moves up quickly.

Beendaredonedat
The weed he's using is a prescription strain with a low THC level and relatively high cannaboids. It was given to him by the one of the first psychiatrists who treated him. It helps , but not much.

Can he not go to his family doctor to maybe see if a mild anti-anxiety med will help him better than the weed is doing, something to tide him over until his appointment with the therapist?

Hi!

I have seen many people do well with somatic therapy. Yoga, EMDR and TRE are all effective at regulating the nervous system.

Have a beautiful day my friend!

• Like 1
loversquarrel

Just like any drug used for psychiatric purposes, it may take a few different types before he finds one that works for him. It took me several different types over many months to find a medication that worked for me.

• Like 1
  • Author
Just like any drug used for psychiatric purposes, it may take a few different types before he finds one that works for him.

He did end up using some medication for a period of time, and that seemed to help when it was combined with talking with a therapist.

I've tried to encourage him to open up to me, but he won't. He's always said that what he saw was so bad and he doesn't want to burden me with it or have me hate him because of what he's done.

At least he's not talking about suicide this time.

• Author
Can he not go to his family doctor to maybe see if a mild anti-anxiety med will help him better than the weed is doing, something to tide him over until his appointment with the therapist?

Unfortunately, we're in Nova Scotia, and our health care system is shot to hell right now. The wait time for a family doctor appointment is about eight weeks. He's been in contact with veteran;s affairs to see of he can get in a bit faster, but I'm not holding my breath.

loversquarrel
He did end up using some medication for a period of time, and that seemed to help when it was combined with talking with a therapist.

I've tried to encourage him to open up to me, but he won't. He's always said that what he saw was so bad and he doesn't want to burden me with it or have me hate him because of what he's done.

At least he's not talking about suicide this time.

My wife has done the same with me. I put her through a serious scare this past fall when ed n she couldn't find me she thought I might have killed myself. Though things can get pretty dark and bad I didn't threaten to harm myself. Keep trying and maybe he'll talk but don't push or get upset if he doesn't talk.

• Author
go to the Emergency Room if you can't get an appointment for 8 weeks

Unless you're actively self harming or making threats against others, they tell you to go home and wait.

I went through that when my older daughter was ill with major depressive disorder. We're ass backwards here right now when it comes to mental health care.

It's not his fault, but I hate the walking on eggshells. There's no way to tell what will set him off. He's also having nightmares again. I've asked him about them and he ties to tell me but stops. It's upsetting, but I know it's so much worse for him.

Edited by pepperbird
  • Author

For now, I'm just going to keep my head down and eyes up. I'm too tired to do anything else.

It's possible the marijuana isn't helping at all. You do realize that it makes you VERY paranoid, so someone with ptsd shouldn't even be using it!

It's very difficult to know if a drug is helping you. Aside from the very real placebo effect you would have to run a double blind study on yourself to know for sure.

One other consideration is age. I know from my own experience that as I've aged my ability to put up with nonsense and setbacks has a much shorter fuse. Just something to consider.

Best Wishes

Unless you're actively self harming or making threats against others, they tell you to go home and wait.

Do either of your employers (assuming you both work) have access to an Employee Assistance Program or EAP? If so, it may tide you over until you can get to the future appointment.

Try music Pepperbird. I know that's a subjective solution but music can trigger good memories that can counter the bad ones he is enduring.

Best Wishes

• Like 1
Ruby Slippers

I read up on PTSD because my last boyfriend had it from war battle.

I found out that a large percentage of people with PTSD had underlying mental health issues and often a family history of mental health issues that some event triggered. Many are never cured, as the issues are systemic.

What seemed to help him most was anything soothing. I turned him on to meditation and he said that was hugely helpful. Massage and more sleep helped, too.