Wife wears ex husbands wedding ring

gingersnap1111

So my wife and I have had our fair share of problems in a relationship, there have been occasions where she has broken my trust and completely disrespected me,, I'm a very good man and I forgave her because I want to keep our family, we have daughter,, during our marriage she is mentioned more than once that she had sold her mother a ring when her and her ex husband were financially in need she always talked about how she wanted this ring back.

About a year ago her mother surprise her and gifted her the ring back she was ecstatic and I was happy for her, unknown to me she designed this ring during their marriage and this was her wedding ring with her ex. (just a little backlog at one point in our marriage it was revealed that she had been secretly talking to her ex-husband without my knowledge for months text message everyday phone calls for hours)

She has never mentioned it was her wedding ring and promptly took our wedding ring off and started wearing the one from her previous marriage,, she said it was prettier after a while I told her I couldn't take it it was completely disrespectful to me and she threw a fit saying it's just a ring and she designed it it doesn't represent their marriage..

She hasn't worn it in a couple months but the marriage has not been good two weeks ago and told her everything I knew she had been hiding,she's been disrespectful to me and hasn't treated me as she cares about me, I did it very respectfully a very calmly and for the first time in a while she acted like she understood and things have been better tonight she asked me to take her to the jewelry store so she can get a ring from her dad sized when we pull up in the parking lot and start walking up to the jewelry store.

She says oh I'm also going to get this one size so I can wear it on my right hand, shut down or ring is gone and she's wearing the wedding ring from her ex, she says she doesn't understand why have a problem with it,is she being naive or does she just not care?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Paragraphs and move to MLP
whichwayisup

She has some set of balls! And is clueless too about your feelings, is inconsiderate and selfish.

Time to talk to her honestly and find out what is truly going on. Something is very off, never have I read anything like this, a woman wearing her ex's ring and gets mad when her current husband is upset and hurt/offended by it. WTF.

You deserve better! Your wife certainly isn't treating you well at all! Tell her she can wear your wedding band, not her ex's. If she chooses to wear his (even on the right hand), she might as well pack her bags and move in with him.

Ask her how she would feel if the situation was reversed?

• Like 1
she says she doesn't understand why have a problem with it

She doesn't need to understand why you have a problem with it. She just needs to accept that you have a problem with it and make steps to correct it.

So what do you want her to do? Do you want her to put it in a jewelry box and never look at it again? Do you want her to sell it? Do you want her to melt it down and use the stones in a new setting? Figure out how you can feel better about this, and ask her to do that. Don't just fume about it and offer no solutions.

But you have more problems than the ring. If your relationship was better, you probably wouldn't have a problem with a piece of rock that she doesn't feel represents her previous marriage. If you trusted her and felt loved and respected and secure, I'm betting you wouldn't care all that much about the ring.

Have you considered marriage counseling?

If you trusted her and felt loved and respected and secure, I'm betting you wouldn't care all that much about the ring.

Have you considered marriage counseling?

I don't know.. I would sure have a problem with it, she took his ring off.. the ring that he gave her that symbolized their union and placed another man's ring on her own finger...

Yeah.. it's messed up...

It would have been different if it was a handed down ring from her Grandmother, even then she would have needed to discuss that but the chances are if she had an heirloom ring she would have been married with it.

She needs to keep her past in the past and yes marriage counseling maybe the only way thru this since she crossed the line soooo far that she can't see what she has done.. a third party may be the only way for her to see the hurt she caused

I get why you are upset. This ring was a symbol of her marriage to someone else.

That said, she also told you she designed the ring. Talk to her a bit more. If she's really just happy with the piece of jewelry because it was something she created, try looking at it as art. If she continues to view the ring as a link to her EX, that is a problem.

I love my husband but my weight has been all over the place the last few years. Depend on my size I vary from wearing my mom's wedding band & engagement ring; my set; my mother's 40th anniversary diamond & ruby ring & my father's gold wedding band. My husband understands that sometimes I am just too fat or bloated to get my rings on my finger.

Ask her how she would feel if the situation was reversed?

Either reversed or how would she have felt if the engagement ring was bought for a previous GF, I'd bet she wouldn't have worn it..

I guess it's all about perspective and in the end the person whose feelings are getting hurt should be the bigger priority.

It shouldn't hurt his wife feelings if she never wore a ring again that her previous husband gave her..

Are you going to take that? She is utterly disrespecting you and your marriage. What are you going to do about it?

I would be hurt. It doesn't matter if she designed it, she designed it in view of her marriage to another man. She doesn't need to wear it. If her own design is that important then why doesn't she design another for YOUR marriage?

Even if it doesn't have any meaning for her beyond pride in design, she should understand how it affects you when you've clearly expressed your feelings. Her desire to wear it shouldn't trump your emotion about such a meaningful symbol.

It sounds like your marriage has more important problems than the ring issue though.

• Author
gingersnap1111

no,as far as i know she stopped talking to him. It was about the blatant disrespect or disregard for me, she knew what it did to me when I found out she was talking to him. Whether it was sexual in nature or not I never asked, it was the lack of trust and the disrespect towards me that is the issue. If I wore something from an ex and she told me she was uncomfortable with it, it would never be on my body again! I know it may sound Petty but I would almost guarantee put in the same situation you would feel the same way..

Phone calls with her ex for HOURS? Geez. I wouldn't have stayed to find out what she did with the ring...

But yes, even just the ring itself is really inconsiderate IMO. Paired with the emotional affair it's pretty unforgivable.

• Author
gingersnap1111

Yes i have tried on 4 occasions to get her to go to counseling with me, told her i was feeling unappreciated in our marriage,, she never says thank you for anything or actually she appreciate anything I do and I do everything.

I hate to get pragmatic, but is this a gold ring or a diamond ring?

I can only understand a little if this is some pretty diamond ring. In which case, if that's it, then I would ask her to go with you to a jeweler and trade that ring in for a NEW one she designs herself, and up to you if you want to use the diamond out of it or do a trade. It won't not cost you anything, though. Selling back gold is one thing, but diamonds are not really sold for much compared to what you have to pay retail for them.

If she had not been in touch with her ex, I wouldn't be as worried about it, but it would still need to be reset and put on her right hand. It's horribly insensitive that she pretends not to understand why this is bothering you.

If she was any kind of REAL man, what she'd do is take that ring and have it reset and give it to YOU.

(just a little backlog at one point in our marriage it was revealed that she had been secretly talking to her ex-husband without my knowledge for months text message everyday phone calls for hours)

Who gives two hoots about the ring? gingersnap1111, the kind of problems you have don't fit around your finger.

I'd give her one more opportunity to start MC, otherwise my next call would be to a lawyer. You're being had...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 3

Sounds like knocking boots with the ex or planning to, sorry for your pain.

Get strong, value yourself.

Believe it.

• Like 1
  • Author
gingersnap1111

I appreciate all the advice, The reason they divorced is she said they were unhappy, bickering all the time, the marriage had became bad and they separated while figuring out if they want to divorced and she met me. And when I said I'm a good man I wasn't referring to the fact that I've forgiven her I was referring to the fact that I'm not a guy that deserves it, I've always treated her as the number one person in my life, and I realize I have let myself get ran over.. we moved to Ohio to take care of her dad so for 10 years her family has become my family and I guess I was always afraid that if I divorced her I was going to lose everything. The ex lives in Texas and we live in Ohio he is about to get married so I wasn't worried about the pack if they were together or not it was the fact about the blatant disrespect for our marriage

My ex-husband proposed to his girlfriend with a diamond ring. She accepted the proposal, but told him she would rather wear her diamond ring from her previous marriage because it is bigger. That is so blatantly disrespectful and hurtful that I found myself feeling sorry for him!

You've already seen evidence that she'll throw the towel in on her marriage over some bickering. While you might be a good man, she does not treat you like one. I wonder if they would only be "texting" if he lived closer to you.

• Like 1

Well, I do think I'd take the ex out of the equation since he is about to get married. Unlikely they did anything more than talk about old times, really, maybe when he let her know he was remarrying.

I still like my idea about getting that ring reset on your dime.

Line in the sand time.

Ring goes or she goes.

No need for expensive counselling. Nor any need to probe why she wants to wear the ring.

The ring is a symbol of her previous marriage and her attachment to her ex-husband.

If she tries to tell you that it is just jewelry, then I'd take off your own ring and tell her it's just jewelry.

And then start divorce proceedings.

I'm serious.

That level of disrespect (nice touch than her mom eggs her on with this) deserves a swift and very real response.

And do get rid of the ring. I don't mean steal it from her. But she needs to sell it, donate it, fling it in the ocean--something.

• Like 3

Sadly you already have your answer. It's obvious the ring means more than her marriage to you.

Never make someone a priority when you aren't.

She know she means more to you than you mean to her. You've taught her to well. Good luck reversing that

• Like 1

not often angry, but...

throw the ring down the john, when she does the washing, she must take the sodding thing off, tbh, OP, you have every right to, so stop being so soft

• 2 weeks later...
The Revealer

A woman's behavior with you reveals her mental estimate of you to her...you are not respected yet along loved. the real question is, what is it about you that makes you ignore this, or excuse it and tolerate it...and perpetuating the cycle of her disrespect for you further.

The root of her behavior is screaming : he won't leave me, and he won't do anything about the way I treat him..she knows this, her mother knows this..except you..you are security and a plan B/C, her plan A was her ex, or another guy she hopes to find in the near future..

Not holding a woman accountable for her wrong and disrespectful deeds doesn't make you a good man, it just makes you 'a nice guy'. You didn't have a strong and masculine presence in your childhood....this toxic model you accept as normal in a relationship was modeled for you in your childhood..

Be assertive, tell her what u want and stick to it...be the man u know u can be..the man she secretly wants you to be...a man she can respect..