One of those little tests...

Wife and I going on a long weekend out of town, 3 hour flight. Knowing this, I’ve downloaded a movie, “Widows”, I’ve wanted to see on my iPad, synced up my BT headphones and am ready to go.

As we take off, my wife, a nervous flyer, turns to me and says “I’m a little anxious and forgot my earbuds. Can I borrow your headphones?”.

And were it you, you’d reply ...

Mr. Lucky

You can use them for 1.5 hours, and I will use them for the other 1.5 hours ;)

And, I will buy you some new earbuds when we land, for the return flight home darling...

Enjoy the weekend! Lucky you... pun intended.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

i would suggest the pros and cons weighing up the actions

happy wife

or

anxious wife

cant you do a king solomon and have one ear bud for you one ear bud for her like cutting the baby down the middle...she may reply as a true mother would say...no fuzzy bear ...you have the headphones....ill just read....deb

• Like 2

Honestly?

I would happily give them too her, held her hand, and done what I could to help her nerves.

My husband is a nervous flyer, I am his rock when he gets anxious. I wouldn't think twice about handing over my ear buds.

Perhaps is also a part of women's nurturing nature.

But.... I also hate movies and enjoy looking at the window if its daily light.

3 hours? That's a hop skip and a jump. I can get lost in my own thoughts for 3 hours, no need for electronics.

So for ME, it wouldn't have been a sacrifice at all.

• Like 1
  • Author
I’m going to guess that you gave up your earphones... :love:

I did though there must have initially been something in my expression because she asked me again “are you sure it’s OK”. I said of course, you use them.

And to the good suggestion we share them, these are headphones, not earbuds so not possible.

Even after 30 years, her happiness as important as my own. Guess that’s one measure...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2

Mr. Lucky

I'm glad you gave her the earphones.

I remember a while back you were still trying to get her to spend money traveling so this was a small price to pay. Hopefully you got to watch your movie on the way home

• Like 1
The Dude Abides

I would hand them over to my wife if it would help her. I know she would do the same for me. :)

The question my wife would ask this forum is: How can I get The Dude on an airplane in the first place? :lmao::D

• Like 1
todreaminblue
I did though there must have initially been something in my expression because she asked me again “are you sure it’s OK”. I said of course, you use them.

And to the good suggestion we share them, these are headphones, not earbuds so not possible.

Even after 30 years, her happiness as important as my own. Guess that’s one measure...

Mr. Lucky

smilin

that would be me with the totally useless suggestion of sharing...der deb.i knew you would give them up anyway I had that feelin...that vibe of a caring hubby..all's well that ends well..deb

I think that I of course would have given her the earbuds but not been happy about it.

I doubt my wife would have asked though.. knowing her..

It does sound like your wife asked you knowing you would do what you did and I'd also bet she also knew you were using them.. kinda rude in a way imo.. she was putting herself above you while you put her above yourself..

And dont take my post to heart too much.. this is too tiny in the scheme of things to even be an issue but thought I would give you my thoughts

• Like 1
Mrs._December

Honestly? I think it was incredibly selfish of her to ask to use them because she forgot to bring hers. I'm sure she knew you'd downloaded a movie and intended to watch it.

Sorry. It was selfish and I would never do something like that to my husband if I'd forgotten my earphones. Instead, I'd spend the next 3 hours reading all the material in the pouch on the back of the seat in front of me and make a mental note not to be so forgetful next time.

• Like 1

Maybe it has something to do with the dynamic of your relationship, OP. If you have more traditional roles and she is used to you taking care of her when she's nervous, she probably just sees it in line with the established pattern.

I wouldn't have asked for the headphones and I agree with the posters who said it was selfish or rude, but again, you have to consider things in context of your established relationship patterns.

Well, I wouldn’t have asked for them either, but your wife did.

And once again, you have demonstrated as you said so eloquently very recently, love is a verb, and not a noun. Have a good holiday!

Happy Lemming
Honestly? I think it was incredibly selfish of her to ask to use them because she forgot to bring hers. I'm sure she knew you'd downloaded a movie and intended to watch it.

Sorry. It was selfish and I would never do something like that to my husband if I'd forgotten my earphones. Instead, I'd spend the next 3 hours reading all the material in the pouch on the back of the seat in front of me and make a mental note not to be so forgetful next time.

I would agree with you, "Mrs._December"... When you travel you make a list of everything you think you will need, which bag you will pack it in and your strategy for getting through TSA (shoes, carry-on, ID, checked bag, etc.) Everyone knows flying is a real hassle and you need to be prepared from A to Z.

And yes the OP downloaded a movie to get through the long flight, he was prepared, but had to forfeit the movie because his wife didn't prepare.

I preach this time and time again to my girlfriend for our travels/adventures. Make a list and check it off (stage anything that needs to go in the car, by the door). If you forget it, then you will have to do without it.

Turning point

I would not have brought a movie unless I also had two sets of headphones to connect with it. Putting on earphones is much different than say, reading a book.

What's the point of having a travel companion if we isolate ourselves in our own singular experience?

• Author
What's the point of having a travel companion if we isolate ourselves in our own singular experience?

My wife is a talker but not on planes. She needs music or something to distract and relax her.

This was an easy decision because my wife is generous to a fault. Lifetime, I’m way ahead in the favors received category in our relationship., as is every other family member when it comes to her....

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
My wife is a talker but not on planes. She needs music or something to distract and relax her.

maybe if you knocked her up that would keep her quiet? :lmao:

My husband is a nervous flyer, so I wouldn't hesitate to hand over the headphones.

However, I always have another pair in my purse. Not noise cancelling nor BT, but will get the job done. Hehehe. ;)

• Author
maybe if you knocked her up that would keep her quiet? :lmao:

Perish the thought. But for four rounds of college tuition (and two went to graduate school), I’d be retired and living on the French Riviera. Now it’s me time...

Mr. Lucky

Wife and I going on a long weekend out of town, 3 hour flight. Knowing this, I’ve downloaded a movie, “Widows”, I’ve wanted to see on my iPad, synced up my BT headphones and am ready to go.

As we take off, my wife, a nervous flyer, turns to me and says “I’m a little anxious and forgot my earbuds. Can I borrow your headphones?”.

And were it you, you’d reply ...

Mr. Lucky

Sure he can have them. He's got severe PTSD from a rough flight/landing, and if it helps distract him, I'd be all for it.

For the record, Mr. Lucky, you did a very sweet thing. My husband would have done the same and I’d like to think that both your wife and me show our affection in meaningful little ways as well.

Here’s a little test going the other way... .

My husband starts a project, has to quit for the day and leaves the tools laying around. Due to other commitments, it’s likely going to be about two weeks before he gets back to it. Do you:

1) Nag him because he knows this drives you bat-poop crazy to have clutter around the house and make him put the tools away.

2) Put the tools away for him.

3) Stack them nearly in the corner and give him the two weeks to touch them again. If the project gets derailed again, you will pick them up and put them away without complaining.

I mostly do three but every once in awhile - particularly if there are a couple unfinish projects in the house - No 1 or 2 come out.