Tired of incompetent husband (newlyweds)...

Hello,

I'm desperately in need of some help with my marriage. We got married with my husband 2 months ago.

We've known each other for 3 and a half years. None of the things that are causing us trouble right now are

much of a surprise to me, but what's more surprising is the way my tolerance for these things has drastically

changed after getting married.

I'm extremely ashamed to say that these things make me doubt our marriage a lot and make me question

how long I can put up with this. I do not believe in divorce on light terms. I want to fight for this.

I also understand that sometimes I can be overreacting, because I'm freaked out by our new marriage.

Okay. So, my SO is a really loving, generous guy. I fell in love with him, because he seemed to me like a man

among all those immature boys I had dated. He had a steady job, a car, smart friends, he went to the gym...

Just the basic "I have it all together" kind of situation. I appreciated that, because I was so independent and

doing my own thing. I wanted to find someone who had their own goals in life.

There was one thing though. He was still living with his mother. I mean, he was only 24. Yeah, no big deal right?

Not all people go to college right away. (In my country most young adults move out by the age of 22 the latest).

After all, he did have a job, so it was not like he was lazy.

But I slowly started to notice, that the fact that he had not left his mom's house, had affected some of

his 'life skills'. He didn't know how to handle formal things, like government papers (student loan etc.).

He didn't know how to cook, wash dirty laundry, clean the house.... His mom had always done all those

things for him.

I, on the other hand grew up in a big family, where no one just had the time to do things for me.

I had to learn how to cook, clean and handle money when I was in preschool. I took care of my younger siblings,

went to the store every week to help my mom and helped clean the house.

But, because my SO was good with many other things like handling money, being romantic (yeah, the sex too)

and just all in all, being a really really good man for me, I ignored his lack of life skills and fell in love.

Now it's been 3 years and yes, he has learned some skills, but not even close to what I've had to know for many many years.

He doesn't have a clue what some of the basic kitchen items are for. He never does laundry or changes

the sheets of the bed. He doesn't know how to iron clothes, or fill out a tax form.

He takes 3 hours everytime he goes grocery shopping, because he doesn't know where to find stuff.

I've tried to show him how to do things, but I guess his ego gets in the way, because he forgets and gets

frustrated and mad. He tells me that I'm the one with the problem, because I'm not happy with him not doing

these things.

Maybe I am? I don't know. I'm just so tired of coming home from work that's very demanding, only to find

out that my SO is not the rock, the person I can count on to do his part in the house.

Instead, I feel like I come home to someone who constantly needs my help.

I've grown bitter towards him and even his mother, because she has never pushed him to do these things. ¨

Even to this day when we visit, his mom sits him down with a cup of coffee, but ask me to help her with cooking etc.

I don't want to feel this way. I want to love and respect my husband, because we have so much good.

He is my best friend. But how can I make him take care of our family and not always count on me like I'm his mother?

Today I came home ready to prepare dinner and I noticed he had eaten half the stuff I needed for the dinner,

because he didn't know what those things were for. I got so angry and frustrated that I just burst in to tears

and yelled at him. I'm scared to see myself like this. I'm scared that I'm gonna end up bitter and hating my husband.

I feel guilty because everyone keeps telling us that these first months of marriage should be blissful and romantic,

but all we do it fight.

Is this normal? I know "The first year of marriage is the hardest". How do you deal with these things?

Help, please....

Edited by birdiebee

With all due respect, you knew this about him before you got married. It doesn't exactly seem fair to your husband that you have changed your expectations, now that he has put a ring on your finger and said "I do."

It seems to me that you both have some maturing to do... In life, and in this marriage.

• Like 1

You married a manchild.

He has been spoiled by his mother and no doubt there is a bit of "men don't do housework" mixed in there too. He passively aggressively doesn't 'get it'

IME it will just get worse.

You will get more and more frustrated, he will get pissed off and refuse to do anything. You will end up doing everything, building resentment as you go.

You want an equal team member, he just wants a new mother pandering to his every whim...

You have acquired a child.

• Like 1
We've known each other for 3 and a half years. None of the things that are causing us trouble right now are

much of a surprise to me, but what's more surprising is the way my tolerance for these things has drastically changed after getting married.

That is because you raised your expectations after getting married, and you are around him more so you get your nosed rubbed in the annoying things more often now.

Is this normal? I know "The first year of marriage is the hardest". How do you deal with these things?
I read the rest. Just no point in quoting all of it.

Cooking? Well I can whip up a great batch of "food poisoning" that could take out a whole family tree. So I eat out a lot.

He is still young enough that he could learn to improve. If he was 10 years older you might be screwed. But you are never going to get perfection. Be thankful for any improvements that you do get,...if he feels like any improvement he makes will never be good enough he will just shut down and stop trying. And don't forget that you aren't perfect either. He may have a list of annoyance about you to if he were here to ask.

Learning needs to be fun,...not punishment. So be careful how you approach it. It seems cooking and housework are the two big ones so just focus on them so you don't get overwhelmed with too many different "problems". Do the cooking/cleaning together and be light-hearted about it. Splash some soap on him and smear some gravy on his nose while you doing it,...laugh and make it fun. He will start to see it as something fun you do together rather than a chore he will be punished for if he doesn't. Eventually he will be at home alone, and may suddenly think, "You know we had a lot of fun cooking up some "XYZ",...I think think I try to make up some XYZ to surprise her when she gets home.

You two just got married. You have two roads you can go down.

1. Doom, gloom, despair, frustration, and hopelessness,....eventually, hate, and divorce

2. Taking what you have and doing something with it and try to make the challenges fun in some way.

Pick one.

Edited by PRW
  • Author

Okay, a lot of pretty straight forward answers, which is good.

Not many of you seemed to have really suggested any resolutions though?

I'm new to this forum, so not sure what to expect or think.

it's only housework, not life or death

you want perfection, which is just an impossibly high standard

Maybe I didn't explain clear enough. It's not chores I'm talking about. He lacks the skill to take care of things and while he wants to improve, it's seems to be slowest process.

This is not life or death. So, should I shut up, because the only problems you're allowed to talk about have to be about life or death?

What makes you think I want perfection? I just want to find a way to improve our marriage. And I do realize I need to change as well, but that's why I'm here. I want to find solutions.

That is because you raised your expectations after getting married, and you are around him more so you get your nosed rubbed in the annoying things more often now.

Okay, that sounds logical. I was thinking it might also be just plain "fear of being stuck with this". I guess, when you're dating, you let stuff go easier?

Learning needs to be fun,...not punishment. So be careful how you approach it. It seems cooking and housework are the two big ones so just focus on them so you don't get overwhelmed with too many different "problems". Do the cooking/cleaning together and be light-hearted about it. Splash some soap on him and smear some gravy on his nose while you doing it,...laugh and make it fun. He will start to see it as something fun you do together rather than a chore he will be punished for if he doesn't. Eventually he will be at home alone, and may suddenly think, "You know we had a lot of fun cooking up some "XYZ",...I think think I try to make up some XYZ to surprise her when she gets home

I'm not talking about being messy either. I'm not into everything being "just the way I want it" or cleaning the house every single day. I'm an artist, so I usually do leave stuff around too, and it's not that he doesn't do _anything_.

It's more about WHEN we clean/cook/do the groceries I'm the one who knows how to do it, while he's just kind of standing there and asking "How do you clean the bathroom, honey?". It used to be funny, because I thought that once he learned those things, it would be easier. But he doesn't seem to learn them. And now that we're married I'm super scared that I will always have to tell him the same stuff over and over again.

I don't expect anyone to be perfect. I just wish that when he notices something he doesn't know how to do, he would try and learn it, google it, read about it... Just put some effort into it! Anything else, but not _always_ rely on me to help.

But all in all, this last comment that I quoted was really helpful and made me think, so thank you for that!

With all due respect, you knew this about him before you got married. It doesn't exactly seem fair to your husband that you have changed your expectations, now that he has put a ring on your finger and said "I do."

It seems to me that you both have some maturing to do... In life, and in this marriage.

Expectations can change, because people change and grow and that's all part of life. But in this case, my expectations didn't change, my energy to deal with it just started running low. Ever felt that?

Like on your best day, in love, you feel like you can handle anything life throws at you and you only see the silver lining. But then something changes and you only see the despair and your own limitations.

This is why I wrote here. So people who probably have gone through something similar could support me and maybe give some friendly advice.

We all have maturing to do. I've met 50-year-old folks who struggle like they're 16. I think it is mature to ask for advice and admit that you no longer know what to do.

Thanks anyways. Not sure if this is how you're supposed to reply at this forum, but heck, I tried.

• Author
Does he work harder/make more money than you do??

Yes, It matters..

TFY

No. We both work and make money the same amount. We both work equally physical jobs (me:warehouse, him:delivery guy).

This is not about him not doing _chores_. When I work we agree that he does them, and when he works, I do them. It's NOT about that.

It's that when we need to plan a trip - I plan it, because he doesn't know how.

When we need to plan our budget - I do it, because even though he's good at saving, he has no clue what stuff costs

When we moved in, I plugged in the TV, took care of the Wifi, did basically all the technical stuff...

It's because I grew up thinking that I need to know those things, while he grew up not thinking about it all.

This is not a housewife/working man kind of situation. If that's what you're suggesting.

• Author
Ironing? I am American. Who the irons cloths these days?

lol :laugh: I mean, for an example, when we have to go to a party and he has to iron his shirt

I guess American clothes don't have wrinkles on them?:p

Hi, birdiebee.

Have you considered dividing household chores according to each person's skills and talents? That way, each of you contributes in the ways that you can give most value,

and will be complementing each other instead of being at logger-heads.

Also, so what if it takes him 3 hours to do the grocery shopping? If he's willing to put in that kind of time and effort into such a basically boring task, why not just thank him for it?

If he is interested in learning his way around the kitchen and/or laundry room, why not make it a fun learning experience for him as you teach him?

Or take some cooking classes together, or watch cooking/baking shows together?

Wishing you and your new husband lots of love, and fun, and happiness! :love:

• Author
Hi, birdiebee.

Have you considered dividing household chores according to each person's skills and talents? That way, each of you contributes in the ways that you can give most value,

and will be complementing each other instead of being at logger-heads.

Also, so what if it takes him 3 hours to do the grocery shopping? If he's willing to put in that kind of time and effort into such a basically boring task, why not just thank him for it?

If he is interested in learning his way around the kitchen and/or laundry room, why not make it a fun learning experience for him as you teach him?

Or take some cooking classes together, or watch cooking/baking shows together?

Wishing you and your new husband lots of love, and fun, and happiness! :love:

Thank you for a kind answer <3

Yeah, we've divided things, but our schedules are not consistent. Meaning, sometimes I have to work more than him and vice versa. That's why the same person can't always do the same stuff....

Some things I don't even ask him to do anymore though. So, I have made a lot of compromise to make this work.

I do thank him every time he goes to the store, but 3 hours after working 8, is a lot of time. It's always time away from our time together in the evening, or something else.

It doesn't bother me that much, except when we're in a hurry. That's when all the pressure piles up on me, because I'm scared to give him responsibility that he is unlikely to achieve.

I began to cry when you talked about the fun learning experience, because it used to be fun. We used to do all kinds of things together and I would show him how. But I guess that's when had just fell in love and he wanted to show that he cared.

I'm honestly afraid that he doesn't love me anymore.

I get that things get hectic and pressures pile up. When that happens, can you let go of some of the chores, and just save them for another day?

In my hectic, 2-person home, I used to sometimes prepare and freeze meals ahead of time, for when it just got too late or we were too tired to feel like cooking after work.

Or we'd do take-out, or throw a frozen pizza or chicken pot-pie in the oven.

I'm guessing that there are reasons that you're not doing the shopping together -- we actually use that for 'bonding time' while also getting the task out of the way.

I'm honestly afraid that he doesn't love me anymore.

birdiebee, what you're describing is more about him not doing things to your liking, which has nothing to do with his love for you.

I might be misinterpreting, but it comes across that you two just have different skill-sets and ways of doing things; and it's about getting okay with how he does it,

and that his way is not 'wrong' or inferior to your way.

Sending hugs.

• Author
I get that things get hectic and pressures pile up. When that happens, can you let go of some of the chores, and just save them for another day?

In my hectic, 2-person home, I used to sometimes prepare and freeze meals ahead of time, for when it just got too late or we were too tired to feel like cooking after work.

Or we'd do take-out, or throw a frozen pizza or chicken pot-pie in the oven.

I'm guessing that there are reasons that you're not doing the shopping together -- we actually use that for 'bonding time' while also getting the task out of the way.

birdiebee, what you're describing is more about him not doing things to your liking, which has nothing to do with his love for you.

I might be misinterpreting, but it comes across that you two just have different skill-sets and ways of doing things; and it's about getting okay with how he does it,

and that his way is not 'wrong' or inferior to your way.

Sending hugs.

I can postpone the chores. That's not a problem. But someday someone has to do them. And it's not dishes and laundry.

I mentioned tax forms and student loans. I can't postpone everything. Life is always hectic. How can I trust him to do these things when someone has to do it?

I wish it were the chores only. Last month, he forgot to cancel a subscription to some page and that cost us our entire food budget (yes, money's tight). I wanted so much to understand him and just think "Hey, an honest mistake", but really I was thinking "Why does he always have to fail with important stuff?"

We lived one year apart from each other and he was supposed to apply for a school. I helped him look for options and it was fine. All he had to do was send the school his earlier diplomas and some other papers.

I wanted to trust him. But he forgot about it. He could've just put a notification on his phone. But he forgot.

The other day we had to pick up a package and it was pouring rain. He was supposed to come and pick me up, but he forgot. So I had to walk home alone with the 30lb box, in pouring rain.

I know, it sounds like I'm just unhappy with "mess". But it's not the mess. It's the anxiety of seeing all these articles about how your SO is the one person who's always there for you and I'm afraid my husband is like the Donald Duck. Always lost, in trouble, bad luck and not there.

It makes me so so sad.

When we shop together, he disengages himself completely, because he relies on me 100%. I look through the grocery list and try to joke with him, but he doesn't really listen. He goes through his phone and tells me "I'll be there in a minute".

But yes, that part is true. I often do see that my way is better. But can you honestly tell me that the situations I just described are from a normal marriage? That this is the way a husband should act towards his wife. I'm wondering if I could do something to motivate him? I don't know...

Thank you, though.

Happy Lemming

What about a "Chore-Wheel"??

Also, do you think he might be afraid of the stove top or oven?? The only reason I ask is my girlfriend is deathly afraid to come into my kitchen when I am using the pressure cooker. I told her there are safeguards on these newer pressure cookers, but she is still very scared when I use mine. She also isn't very comfortable around some of my larger pots, I think the size and all of the boiling water or hot oil scares her.

As far as laundry, does he really know how to do it properly?? Is he afraid of ruining some of your clothes?? What about step by step instructions??

Okay, a lot of pretty straight forward answers, which is good.

Not many of you seemed to have really suggested any resolutions though?

I think I did give something specific to try.

You've known the guy for nearly 4 years. There is nothing you should be surprised about here.

Edited by PRW
Hello,

I'm desperately in need of some help with my marriage. We got married with my husband 2 months ago.

For clarification, would you mind telling us how many of you there are?

You see, no one is above criticism if you've a predisposition to find fault. What do you think it was about saying "I do" that turned him into a complete imbecile?

I agree with BaileyB... a big part of the problem is that you've drastically changed your expectation. The other part is simply that you chose to marry him for the person his was and is, but now that the honeymoon is apparently over you've switched modes from accepting/affirming to highly critical and intolerant. In less than two months! Y'all should be phukking like rabbits, staring into each other's eyes and promising unequivocal devotion.

I think you chose a man who would tolerate this judgement and criticism and not stand up to you because that's the role you know and love from mothering your siblings. But the big switcheroo is almost as big a surprise to you as it is to him (I can't imagine what he's going through).

I am all too familiar with this "mode" as my ex was like that too part of the time, only she had episodes rather than it being constant. Do any of you have episodes? I was running a business that was pretty involved, so it wasn't incompetence, just her need to treat someone like her mother treated her. Other times she idealized me. This sh*t gets passed through the generations.

I think you have two options: a) accept, love and honor the guy and lovingly teach him the domestic skills rather than busting his ass, or b) just leave and get a divorce. I think the latter is probably the real solution because I doubt that you can change the way you feel about him. IOW, if you made a short list of items that you needed him to master for you to be happy, and he mastered all of them... you'd still be unhappy. This is not about domestic skills, it's about personality dynamics. Please make sure your BC effective.

A few observations:

You are stressed. Try to separate the stress from work, finances etc. that you would still have without him, from the stress that he caused.

A two person household can be relatively easy. Simplify as much as possible so you can focus on other things. Women very often end up doing more housework, especially when you have children. That cannot be helped.

Make a list of things he IS good at. Anything?

There is a problem of you making the statement "he is incompetent." There is note of contempt. You are no longer addressing what he doesn't do. You are saying who he is. I get the feeling you might sometimes think he is stupid.

Your judgement does not go unnoticed by him. If you manage people at work, you know that you need to know how to motivate, and who to assign what task. People will stop trying when they feel it's impossible to please.

Worst case scenario, live as "roommates". Plenty of college age kids manage just fine in house sharing. Many chores you would have to do anyway if you were single. All these things you know how to do, it's because you've done them as a single person. You'd still have to do laundry, and if you throw in a shirt of his, it's not a big deal. If you plan a trip and you needed to click 2 instead of 1 and type in his name, it's not a big deal. That's why I think the chores themselves are not the issue. You are not proud of him.

Back to that list of things he's good at???

Hi,

I completely understand your situation as I spent several years with a financially unreliable boyfriend that lived with his mom until she passed. He was 45 then.

This seems to be somewhat different though. Your SO is bringing in steady income and is comitted to you. Men in earlier times, didn't have any idea how to do laundry or shop, however they could change a tire and repair alot of things around the house. Wives also would see that the bills were paid but the husband brought money home. As unfeminastic as it sounds, I prefer a man this way. Today's woman would like their SO to share in everything and sometimes that runs into problems.

You just have to decide what you can live with. A man that can efficiently accomplish the things you would like him to or a loving caring partner that with time and being taught by your example may end up being the perfect mate.

Can your SO change a tire or would you have to do that also? That might be the deal breaker for me.

OP, you did marry this man knowing his faults, shortcomings as a couple. There is nothing wrong with ironing out some wrinkles in the first few years of marriage.

Talk to your husband, be honest about how this is effecting your relationship.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
removed rude poke
  • Author
I think I did give something specific to try.

You've known the guy for nearly 4 years. There is nothing you should be surprised about here.

Yeah. Did you read my entire comment? You were the only one to give me specific things to try and I noted that. Even thanked you. Please, read the entire thing, before you comment.

Thanks!

• Author
For clarification, would you mind telling us how many of you there are?

You see, no one is above criticism if you've a predisposition to find fault. What do you think it was about saying "I do" that turned him into a complete imbecile?

I agree with BaileyB... a big part of the problem is that you've drastically changed your expectation. The other part is simply that you chose to marry him for the person his was and is, but now that the honeymoon is apparently over you've switched modes from accepting/affirming to highly critical and intolerant. In less than two months! Y'all should be phukking like rabbits, staring into each other's eyes and promising unequivocal devotion. <SNIP>

I don't think you've read anything I wrote, because I stated many times that I know that I need to change things too. That is why I'm here! to seek help, for me! It is because I love my husband, and want to fix things between us.

Do I have to list every single thing about me and my man, so that my concerns are acceptable here? Just because I don't list all the things I've done wrong, doesn't mean I don't do anything wrong, or consider myself perfect.

But I wrote here, not because I see myself superior to my husband, but because I don't feel supported. Just because I focus on this one thing, does not mean, it's the only thing wrong in us, or me, or him!

This is just a forum. But you all are real people behind those screens. I don't look to find a big revelation. But these words are not wise. Nor are they helpful.

You talk about judgement while judging me. I am here because I'm facing a new situation, which I am not emotionally equipped to handle and look for support from people. I am desperate, not arrogant.

You have such anger towards me, to say that you need to pity my husband. Maybe the reason you had to compare me to your ex is because you still have something there you need to deal with?

I know I'm probably doing something wrong in my relationship to have ended up here, but how have you helped me here? With all this hate?

You honestly seem really bitter and the perfect example of what I'd rather not want to end up being. I'd rather try and fix things.

Internet might be anonymous, but it's still people talking to people.

Would you say this to me if I was sitting opposite you right now?

• Like 2

Listen, anyone who's reading, do NOT marry someone who has never lived completely on their own before without their mother coming over and bringing food and doing their laundry. He's still a child. What happens when a man goes from mom to married is he expects the wife to be his new mother. And THAT is not only infuriating but very unsexy, and you need to make him understand that it's placing you in a position of being his parent and that that is removing your sex drive for him.

Shame on his parents for not teaching him how to take care of himself. That's their job. But really, no one usually learns it well until they are totally on their own. You're going to have to make him understand this is a dealbreaker and that you're not ready to take care of a child (him) and that he needs to learn how to do everything without being nagged and unless he does, this isn't the life for you and you don't feel at all sexy.

• Like 3
  • Author
Make a list of things he IS good at. Anything?

Thank you for a sensible reply !

Okay, I hesitated a little when I used the word "incompetent". It's because English is not my first language, so the equivalent for that word in my language is not that negative. I just tried to create a headline that would explain a lot without using a lot of words. My mistake.

I don't want to think my husband is stupid. We have brilliant conversations and our talks are one of my favorite things. I do think that he might be lazy or insensitive. I think his priorities are wrong?

A lot of the replies that I got are somehow commenting on housework, probably because of my examples. But I tried to say in a few comments that this is not just a chore-thing.

I didn't quite get your point about management. Am I supposed to manage my company and "divide tasks" for him? This is exactly what I am doing, but I don't want to do it. I wish sometimes he could manage me.

Also, planning a trip is more than a click. It's budgeting, taking care of luggage, booking hotels, all that.... Is it too much to ask that my husband would share this with me?

Maybe I'm not proud of him then? So, the problem is that he's doing everything right, but I'm just being a bitch?

A list of what my husband is good at:

- He takes out the garbage every day

- He comforts me and never ignores my tears

- He comes up with the nicest gifts

- He's clever and tells funny stories

- He's not a selfish lover

- He knows how to save money

- He listens to everyone

- He respects everyone

- He's creative

- He's wild

- He's brave

List goes on and on.

This is not about me not seeing all of this.

This is not about him being a piece of ****.

This is about me being afraid of our future. I'm scared to be burdened with 70% of the things in our life. I'm scared to have kids, because I fear I will be the one taking care of everything.

Somehow, it seems like everyone here is saying "Get over it and be happy with what he is. Appreciate him."

So, I should just give up and accept that this is my life and I'm just being a whiny bitch for believing in equal responsibility?

• Author
Hi,

I completely understand your situation as I spent several years with a financially unreliable boyfriend that lived with his mom until she passed. He was 45 then.

This seems to be somewhat different though. Your SO is bringing in steady income and is comitted to you. Men in earlier times, didn't have any idea how to do laundry or shop, however they could change a tire and repair alot of things around the house. Wives also would see that the bills were paid but the husband brought money home. As unfeminastic as it sounds, I prefer a man this way. Today's woman would like their SO to share in everything and sometimes that runs into problems.

You just have to decide what you can live with. A man that can efficiently accomplish the things you would like him to or a loving caring partner that with time and being taught by your example may end up being the perfect mate.

Can your SO change a tire or would you have to do that also? That might be the deal breaker for me.

Lol. I change the tires, do the electrical work, empty a clogged toilet in this house. I didn't even know how to do these things before him, but I had to learn, because every time when we would face a situation where we didn't know what to do, I'm was the one who had to learn it, because he would flee any situation he's uncomfortable with.

He kills the scary spiders though.