LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Marriage & Life Partnerships

No trust left, not sure if I should divorce


Marriage & Life Partnerships Debunking the old-ball-and-chain stereotype one couple at a time.

Like Tree57Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2018, 10:17 PM   #1
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,755
No trust left, not sure if I should divorce

Hi my husband and I are both 31 with a 4 year old daughter. Long story. I found out I was pregnant early on in the relationship and after I had lost my job. Lived with the in laws and my MIL and SIL are VERY INTERFERRING. I get post natal depression because so many things so wrong.

I studied and tried everything to get work but couldn't. My father made HUGE promises to help us out if we needed and that he would sell his vintage car. We moved out into my SIL place and my in laws were going to gradually increase the days with us and our daughter.


I tried everything to get work but couldn't. My dad lies that he made these grand promises to sell his vintage car to help us out. My parents inherit twice and knowing that we're struggling, all they care about is going overseas on two holidays, both taking two months. As always all my dad cares about is going on holiday. My husband works long hours but its not enough to cover the expenses.

We have to move back in with my in laws because we can't afford the place. My SIL is controlling and threatens to keep my child. She says she is a better person "because she earns more money". Constantly threatens and screams me in front of my child. My in laws do nothing.

I end up leaving and needing my parents help getting my child because my in laws don't let me be alone with my child. Yet they allow my abusive sister in law too.

I go back to my parents. But they use my husband against me because he's still living with them at that stage.
He promises me that they won't take legal action and they'll kick my sister in law out.

I don't know what to do. I made the worst decision and trusted them. I go back and I get a letter saying they're taking me to court and taking custody. And they don't kick my SIL out.

I was horrified and didn't know what to do. I went home with my parents. And my in laws kicked out my dumb husband after they got what they wanted- my daughter. And my SIL is still living there, even after threatening and calling us a mooch many times.

My husband talked me back into coming back to him. But I just have too anger. I don't understand how he can be that stupid. That he thought it was more important that his parents destroy our family, than for us to be with my daughter.

You all said that they wouldn't get interim custody but they did. Now I have to be supervised by my in laws. Which is atrocious.


MODERATION NOTE: MORE BACK STORY CAN BE FOUND HERE>> My in laws filed for custody of my daughter, now we are living separately

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 19th December 2018 at 8:58 AM..
Sugarkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 10:19 PM   #2
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,755
I'm at my wits end being married to this idiot. And my husband just expects me to have another child, after all this trauma.
Sugarkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 11:38 PM   #3
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 8,461
Please don't have another child.

This whole situation is dysfunctional and you can not afford to have another child. The courts don't usually require aupervised visits without a very good reason.

Leave your husband if you want to leave. Please, don't have another child.
__________________
If they love you, you will know. If they don't, you will wonder all the time if they do...
BaileyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 1:08 AM   #4
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarkane View Post
My father made HUGE promises to help us out if we needed and that he would sell his vintage car. We moved out into my SIL place and my in laws were going to gradually increase the days with us and our daughter.


I tried everything to get work but couldn't. My dad lies that he made these grand promises to sell his vintage car to help us out. My parents inherit twice and knowing that we're struggling, all they care about is going overseas on two holidays, both taking two months. As always all my dad cares about is going on holiday. My husband works long hours but its not enough to cover the expenses.
A little bit confusing to follow but I'm sorry you find yourself in this position.

I'm trying to understand your anger at your father. You and your husband are married, both adults, so why is it your dad's job to bail you out of financial difficulties? You don't seem to just expect his help, it's pretty clear you feel entitled to it.

Given that approach, not sure I'd be in a hurry to assist your either...

Mr. Lucky
__________________
Happiness is not a goal; it is a byproduct -

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 1:41 AM   #5
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,755
Because my dad makes these grand promises and then goes back on his word. Then my dad has a go at me and says I should've been "able to just know this was going to happen". As if I've got a crystal ball or something. Then he goes on these massive holidays and brags about it. As if just to put the knife in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post
A little bit confusing to follow but I'm sorry you find yourself in this position.

I'm trying to understand your anger at your father. You and your husband are married, both adults, so why is it your dad's job to bail you out of financial difficulties? You don't seem to just expect his help, it's pretty clear you feel entitled to it.

Given that approach, not sure I'd be in a hurry to assist your either...

Mr. Lucky
Sugarkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 1:44 AM   #6
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,755
I don't trust my husband enough to have another child.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyB View Post
Please don't have another child.

This whole situation is dysfunctional and you can not afford to have another child. The courts don't usually require aupervised visits without a very good reason.

Leave your husband if you want to leave. Please, don't have another child.
Sugarkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 2:38 AM   #7
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Antipodes
Posts: 12,140
In light of your history and other current thread where you state that you only have supervised access to your child, I believe something happened which made your father change his mind about helping you.

How long ago did he make the offer? What expectations did he place on you when he made the offer?
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 10:36 AM   #8
Established Member
 
Elswyth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 27,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarkane View Post
You all said that they wouldn't get interim custody but they did. Now I have to be supervised by my in laws. Which is atrocious.

The courts don't remove custody from the biological mother (especially when she hasn't even divorced the biological father) under NORMAL circumstances. They would need to prove that you are completely incapable of parenting, in order for that to happen. Clearly there is something going on with your situation that we are all unaware of.


Sugarkane, in all these years nothing has changed. You are still blaming everyone else for your situation except yourself. This has happened from the very start (your MIL "forced" you to go through with your pregnancy, you "couldn't" make any decisions regarding that), throughout the entire lifetime of your daughter (you "couldn't" get a job in all this time, your father didn't give you the financial help you feel entitled to), and finally culminates with blaming LS for your court's decision.


Come on, girl. For as long as you refuse to take ownership of your own life and your own choices instead of playing the victim, nothing will change. Divorce your husband if you want to, blame him all you want, that won't solve anything.
__________________
~Perfection is about accepting that we cannot control everything and letting go of some of our preconceived notions.~ -Spiritofnow-
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 10:40 AM   #9
Established Member
 
d0nnivain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northeastern USA
Posts: 32,999
If you get a divorce, how & where will you live? I think step one for you is getting a job.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 11:01 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2
This is so bad I feel for you.

But try your best to take some control in the situation -- there are so many resources online -- take a few min daily to see if you can make extra money on the internet and get financially stable.

I learned this too myself -- financial independence is more important than ever - if you can focus on getting a job or extra money you will have more control in situation.
amber_haeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2018, 10:25 PM   #11
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,755
So its ok for my dad to make HUGE promises, break them and then call me a liar? How is that?

When I left the hospital for severe post natal depression. I was referred to a specialist that cost over $300 per appointment. I was struggling. I tried to get ANY low paying job I get. I would've taken anything, I'm not arrogant.
But being the job market that it is couldn't get one.


So how was I supposed to afford this doctor, to avoid this custody battle from happening and therefore I could've proved myself well enough in court. Instead of being punished for being poor at the time?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post
A little bit confusing to follow but I'm sorry you find yourself in this position.

I'm trying to understand your anger at your father. You and your husband are married, both adults, so why is it your dad's job to bail you out of financial difficulties? You don't seem to just expect his help, it's pretty clear you feel entitled to it.

Given that approach, not sure I'd be in a hurry to assist your either...

Mr. Lucky
Sugarkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2018, 10:31 PM   #12
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,755
Isn't that what family is supposed to do? Help you when you're having a tough time? Actually have your back?


So how was I supposed to afford an expensive doctor I was referred to, if I couldn't afford it? I wanted to work and would've happily done any job. All I wanted was someone to give me a chance. I'm a reliable person and worked 7 years at my old job.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
The courts don't remove custody from the biological mother (especially when she hasn't even divorced the biological father) under NORMAL circumstances. They would need to prove that you are completely incapable of parenting, in order for that to happen. Clearly there is something going on with your situation that we are all unaware of.


Sugarkane, in all these years nothing has changed. You are still blaming everyone else for your situation except yourself. This has happened from the very start (your MIL "forced" you to go through with your pregnancy, you "couldn't" make any decisions regarding that), throughout the entire lifetime of your daughter (you "couldn't" get a job in all this time, your father didn't give you the financial help you feel entitled to), and finally culminates with blaming LS for your court's decision.


Come on, girl. For as long as you refuse to take ownership of your own life and your own choices instead of playing the victim, nothing will change. Divorce your husband if you want to, blame him all you want, that won't solve anything.
Sugarkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2018, 3:24 AM   #13
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4,049
It's nice when family can help but parents are not obligated to their children once those children become adults and have children of their own. I raised my kids as a single parent and never got a penny of help from my parents after the day I left home and I was only sixteen when I left.

Now my oldest son has his own kids and I love him and I love his kids but frankly I do not wish be financially responsible for his children. Thankfully he works hard and does what he has to to take care of his children. I've seen him suffer through having to stick by a job that he hates, I've seen him sacrafice so much for the good of his family. He never buys himself anything, never indulges himself, rarely even takes a few hours for himself. He has never asked anyone for money and he was only 22 when his first was born and now he has 3. I'm not rich but if he asked me for help I would do my best to help but not because it's my duty or my obligation, but because I know he pours his heart and soul into taking care of his kids, he gives 100% of himself and he never complains. He would never ask for help unless there was truly nothing more he could do to help himself.

Now I don't agree with your father reneging on his offer to help you but it is what it is. If helping you requires that he sells his vintage car which is likely a prized possession then clearly he is not rich and does not have loads of cash available to give away. He shouldn't have made a promise he can't keep but he is not responsible for his married 30yr old adult daughter. You have a husband. Two adults in their thirties should be able to support themselves.

All of your threads are about what people are not doing for you, what people are not giving you. Your focus needs to shift from stewing on what you think the world and everyone in it owes you to what you are going to do to help yourself. You owe you. All this resentment about what you are not getting isn't helping or changing your situation. You have a husband. The two of you should be able to figure this out.
anika99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2018, 7:47 AM   #14
Established Member
 
d0nnivain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northeastern USA
Posts: 32,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarkane View Post
So how was I supposed to afford an expensive doctor I was referred to, if I couldn't afford it? .
You are not. You tell both the referring source & the expensive doctor that you can't afford the expensive doctor & you ask them both for a referral to somebody more affordable or you seek out charity care.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2018, 11:44 AM   #15
Established Member
 
NuevoYorko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,168
Yes, you should get a divorce. You consider your husband an idiot. That is reason enough.

I understand your child is in the custody of your in-laws. This is the perfect opportunity for you to strike off on your own and get yourself sorted out. It's time that you learned to be responsible for yourself and your own life. For many of us this includes asking for help - not financial help, but in the form of therapy to aid us in overcoming stumbling blocks.

You are a grown woman with a child - I encourage you to take charge of your life. Hopefully you will be very involved with your daughter's daily life in the near future.
NuevoYorko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
not sure if the problem is me or the relationship, not sure if i should marry him. lost.in.space Getting Married 2 22nd February 2015 6:20 PM
When a girl says 'sure sure sure' to 'hanging out'? Guitarisgood Dating 2 8th February 2014 1:13 PM
he made me trust him then left me the day he left the country. LilyLowe Coping 0 16th January 2014 9:59 PM
Trust Trust Trust...I'm going crazy!!! GuySimple Marriage & Life Partnerships 10 22nd December 2005 4:56 PM
Whole Trust, 1/2 Trust, No Trust? HurtinginVA Second Chances 3 11th January 2004 10:41 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 9:01 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.