pottery anniversary gift ideas for HUSBAND

I know it's virtually impossible to suggest gifts for someone you don't know over the internet but I'm desperate.

DH & I promised each other we'd do anniversary gifts based on the "traditions" -- you know 1 is paper; 25 is silver; 50 is gold etc.

So 9 is . . . Pottery.

WTF do I get a grown man that is pottery? I'm open to being creative. For example I gave him a gift certificate to a place called the Iron Bar for the iron anniversary; a pair of Timberland boots for the wood anniversary & a keyboard for his apple I-pad for the fruit anniversary.

Budget is around $100 but is flexible. If it's a cheap suggestion I can just get him something else that is non conforming.

Any suggestions would be welcome. T.Y.I.A.

Maybe a unique masculine mug and some of his favorite gourmet coffee?

An 'experience' gift for one of those craft places where you can be all Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore with each other? Some of them feature making your own beer steins.

I think ceramic counts- does he he play poker? You could get a nice set of chips. Knife set if he's into culinary.

Good luck!

Edited by norudder
  • Author

Thanks for the suggestions. We have so many mugs. He doesn't play poker & doesn't have enough local friends to get a game together. He has dozens of beer steins including some handmade antique ones from Germany. We own 3 sets of very expensive knives from Sabatier, Wusthof & Henkel so I can't even upgrade. He never cooks or uses them.

While I love the making pottery together idea, he'd think it was stupid. He wouldn't go & I'd waste my money.

I feel like I'm being ungrateful & a wet blanket shooting your suggestion down but. . . how may more mugs or steins does a guy need?

At this point I'm seriously thinking about a $10 Christmas ornament that says 2017: 9th Anniversary & then a "real" present made from a different material but that feels so lame.

It's okay, gave it a shot. Maybe someone else reading can contribute other ideas knowing those wont do it for you. Only other thing I could suggest is something from Pottery Barn. Like you said, even something small as the token to hold true to tradition while getting something else he'd like that you'd be happy to give.

• Like 1

A shaving mug and brush and gift certificate for a hot shave?

Coasters?

Tray for his desk?

Teapot?

Espresso cups?

Outdoor sculpture or statue?

How about a trip to China to see the Terra Cotta warriors? Assuming that's out of the question, a set of the warriors (or a chess set maybe)and a book about them (facinating story) would be nice.

I was lucky enough to get out there on a business trip this spring.

CautiouslyOptimistic
Pottery Barn gift card? They have bar accessories a guy might like...some travel items & leather goods designed for men...

Oh I love this idea!

I also thought of a large soup or cereal bowl (with his favorite soup or cereal or ice cream) or a potted plant (in pottery of course).

• Author
How about a trip to China to see the Terra Cotta warriors? Assuming that's out of the question, a set of the warriors (or a chess set maybe)and a book about them (facinating story) would be nice..

Oh if only we had vacation left this year. We have already traveled a LOT. But I will absolutely look into these Terra Cotta warriors!

You also gave me a great idea. He loves Greek mythology. Maybe I can find him a great piece of pottery from Greece.

JADIE -- the Pottery Barn gift card is the back up plan. Great minds think alike.

• Like 1

How about an actual pottery class? A lot of art studios are doing once off classes were you can make something basic and take it home.

You never know one of you might have a natural talent!

Is he religious? A small sentimental gift could be nice. Maybe a rosary/prayer bead holder, an offering dish, something like that?

Does he have favorite countries or cultures? Maybe buy a piece of pottery art (bowl, serving platter, something beautiful to set on a shelf or hang on the wall) from that country or culture?

Late to the party, but... .

I bought a bread warmer pottery bowl some years back (maybe Williams Sonoma?) and now use it when I bake bread. I get a couple of different olive oils and hard cheeses, a little seasoning, bake the bread and serve it with olive oil/cheese dipping sauce and some wine. Makes for a great appetizer. You can then reuse the pottery every time you feel like making bread.

GG

• Like 1
  • Author
Late to the party, but... .

I bought a bread warmer pottery bowl some years back (maybe Williams Sonoma?) and now use it when I bake bread. I get a couple of different olive oils and hard cheeses, a little seasoning, bake the bread and serve it with olive oil/cheese dipping sauce and some wine. Makes for a great appetizer. You can then reuse the pottery every time you feel like making bread.

GG

I would enjoy that but how is it a present for my husband?

GorillaTheater

For the first time ever, I may actually have a gift idea.

When Harvey came through, I started thinking about these, a passive ceramic/clay pot water filtration system:

https://www.cdc.gov/safewater/ceramic-filtration.html

Reasonable minds could differ, and it's admittedly not particularly romantic or anything, but I'd think a gift like that would be pretty cool if I got it.

• Like 1
  • Author

GorillaTheater

I think you & my husband may share a brain. While I'd be horrified & cranky if he got this for me, I think it's something he'd love.

Do you have water & electricity yet?

• Like 1
GorillaTheater

Do you have water & electricity yet?

We never lost it, thankfully. We're close to 100 miles inland from Houston and just got side-swiped. Now, getting side-swiped in this case still meant 20 inches of rain, and our area saw some flooding, but other than a leak or two we came through okay.

• Like 3