20th wedding anniversary coming up.

I think we might do a special vacation away from the kids this summer as a late celebration (anniversary is in May) , but was wondering what makes for a good 20th anniversary gift? I realize this is the platinum anniversary but have no idea how to translate that into a gift. She's not much into trinkets or serving trays... :)

MuddyFootprints

Are you looking for something small to wrap up in addition to the trip? Does she read, have a favourite artist, musician, or hobby?

MuddyFootprints

If you are thinking of something traditional, I'll suggest a turntable (if you don't have one) and an vinyl album of her favourite artist that has gone platinum.

It just sounds more fun than a platter or jewellery.

I know there are some women not into jewelry but for the 20th thats what comes to mind. A custom made piece with platinum - like a right hand ring with elements tied to you and your kids.

• Like 1

How about shares of stock in a platinum mine? As it pays dividends & keeps on growing in value it will give her security for the next 20 years of your marriage.

Congratulations on reaching that milestone.

• Author

She doesn't like jewelry or trinkets very much and she not really into music. I'm just at a loss...

What about a 20th anniversary celebration book of sorts? I realize that sounds cheesy but if she's not into jewelry or things she may like something that shows A. You are willing to spend time doing something you normally wouldn't, and B that you cherish the experiences, growth and life you've shared.

Just a suggestion for someone who maybe doesn't like things but loves sharing and celebrating experiences. Maybe even in the scrap book you could include a few IOUs or gift cards to places that have special meaning to you as a couple, i.e. restaurant where you had a special date or if you two were into some activities, shows events tickets to there. But with lots of pictures, writing and maybe organized by important years (dating, engagement, first child, moves, jobs, graduations ect. Ending with a picture of the place you'll vacation later, some blank pages to fill and maybe a poem or something?) It'd take some time and effort, but that's the point and the kind of gift some women value.

Whatever you do or give, that you are thinking about it so much I'm sure it will be the thought that counts more anyway. Best of luck!

I got a platinum ring for my 20th. I never had an engagement ring, so it was really special. Platinum and sapphire :love:

If platinum doesn't fit her interests, don't force it. What does she like? After 20 years, what matters to me is him knowing me. :)

• Like 1

Is there an artist or painting that she loves?

You could buy a painting that hangs in the house as a constant fun reminder to the whole family.

What is bizarre is that the advertisement on your thread is for Hot air ballon rides.

Hmmmm.

In Southern Cal, they have sunset ballon rides that fly slowly down the coast. The view and the romanticism can not be matched.

Perhaps the best thing you can give her is romance. Pretend you are dating again

Maybe repeat something she really loved during your courtship. Make a list of everything you did to court her. Secretly ask her what she loved. There is your list

Now add something completely different.

Write a formal note asking her out on the date. Go all out. Do something special in the morning, something different in the afternoon and cap it all off with a restful evening experience. Oh, and giving her great oral before she starts snoring is a excellent nightcap. Just saying.

Edited by 66Charger

This was not for our 20th, but on our 39th, when things were not going well financially, I found a picture from our wedding and had it framed. I left it where she could find it with a card, saying I would marry her all over again.

I think, as this is the 20th, some type of re-commitment to her would be best. Something that says, let do the next 20 years as well.

Oh, Congratulations on reaching 20 years of marriage, does not get any easier, but you now have time behind you and what is more important, a past and story together. May your story continue.

Luck....

GorillaTheater

Neither my wife or I are much into "stuff"; both of us have everything we need, but it sure makes buying each other gifts a challenge.

I'd recommend a weekend away. My wife and I spent our 30th anniversary in Galveston. We ate at interesting restaurants, spent time on the beach, and my wife loved browsing at the funky little shops on the Strand. We also toured a few old historic houses and buildings and found the site of Lafitte's pirate stronghold.

Sounds kind of tame, I know, but we really did have a great time, and it's one of the smartest gifts I've ever gotten her.

You know your wife ( I assume) better than we do.

If she would prefer a vacation, then go for it. Make it memorable and take lots of pictures.

But if she likes her wedding ring and would love an additional reminder of the vows you both took, then a 20th Anniversary band is good. Expect to spend some money. Of course, you will on a vacation too, but with a ring you can have something to show.

My wife loved her anniversary ring and still remarks how beautiful it looks. As for vacations, we remember them but do not have something to show for it.

JMO.

Here's an abnormal suggestion coming from an abnormal person with abnormal preferences:

Gift/Present to buy for her: NOTHING. Perhaps a simple note where you write with your own words how much she means to you--loving words can be powerful.

Just spend the day DOING whatever you two usually love to do together.

Then instead of celebrating anniversary day, turn it into anniversary year. And then spend the whole year with SMALL thoughtful things you get for her and do with her by surprise -- best gift, when you least expect it, not limited to a single day, but spread over the whole year.

Your time and doing enjoyable things together, trumps any jewelry in a pricey plastic box.