All he wants to do is play video games!

newlywedder

My husband is a extremely sweet and loving husband but all he cares to do when he gets off work is play video games. It is annoying that is his only hobby. I play video games too myself but I also have other hobbies such as board gaming, painting, drawing, reading, exercising, etc. I want us to go take a walk after dinner but he always makes up excuses.

When I don't play video games too, he tells me that I am not "being myself" - whatever that means. When we were dating, we were really into WoW (War of Warcraft) but have since quit because he got into Fall Out. He had even proposed to me while we were playing WoW in the same room. I guess I should have expected this of him after we were married but I am very annoyed.

I'd like us to get involved in more hobbies together like creating a web comic, for example. I keep saying I'd like to draw the panels and he can write the story but nothing comes up of it. I just want us to have fun doing other things than always playing video games.

Are there any active hobbies that someone who plays video games would enjoy doing more?

Forgive me for saying this, but your husband is too much of a fool to Realize how good he has it. You sound like the perfect wife ( for my hobbies and interests anyway)

Well, you could try gaming related outings. Does Intel host a LANFEST in your area? Perhaps you could get into Magic The Gathering? That would be a great hobby for you two, buying cards, building decks, facing off.

You guys could try board games ( the good kind, not the candyland crap) Fantasy Flight is a company that makes great.games that my friends and I are all.addicted to.

Sorry I don't have better suggestions. I like tennis and badminton and disc golf as side hobbies but I don't think.this dude would like those.

Man... I hope a find a woman with the interests, and more importantly the patience that you possess.

Good luck.

• Author
newlywedder

There is a park with disc golf near me so we could look into that. He hates being outside, however, because he is a pale faced red head so burns easily. He even has a shirt that says "Do not place in direct sunlight". Also, he complains of bugs biting him so nightly excursions are out of the question.

*throws up hands* It is just so frustrating because before we were married I did go to board game meet ups and board game conventions like Board Game Geek. He hates going places even! He rather stay home. :(

*throws up hands* It is just so frustrating because before we were married I did go to board game meet ups and board game conventions like Board Game Geek. He hates going places even! He rather stay home. :(

Why can't you still attend these activities you like :confused: ?

Sounds like your H has been pretty consistent in his approach and limited interests all along. What is there about the words "I do" that would make you think he'd change?

I'd think long and hard before adding kids to the mix :( ...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 5

While I have a lot in common with this guy, I don't like to go outside or go places... It's a sacrifice I'd gladly make in exchange for being with some one who loved Me.

When the video game addict says this guy needs to get over himself and start making his wife happy, that's a big sign.

• Like 3
nerdlingZA

wow OP u sound really really cool :). I would kill to have a wife like you. as for ur husband, he seems like he isn't adventurous is he ? when I was 15 I also played video games all day after school but now that im old I can see that im wasting my time with playing video games all yhe time I have been outgoing more n more

I really don't know what you can do in your situation other than telling him that you're annoyed ? if this was ur BF I would tell u to leave him but hes your husband (maybe thats why he plays games all day ? he feels no need to please u ?)

• Like 1
Friskyone4u

Your husband needs to grow up and realize he is a married man who is responsible for 50%!of a marriage to a woman he claimed the alter was the most important thing in his life forever. If sitting there like a zombie acting like a four year old is all he can find time for he will learn a very hard lesson when some man who has his head on straight gets your attention

Anything in moderation is fine as long as it is a hobby and not an addiction which is where he is headed .

You need to stand your ground and stop him before it becomes irreversible and you become expendable

• Like 3
Lois_Griffin
He hates being outside, however, because he is a pale faced red head so burns easily. He even has a shirt that says "Do not place in direct sunlight". Also, he complains of bugs biting him so nightly excursions are out of the question.

Well, I'm going to say it anyway. Something tells me he probably was never popular with the ladies just based on your physical description of him. Add to the fact that he's completely socially stunted and acts like a 15 year old boy with his dumbass video games, and I'm getting the impression he doesn't realize how lucky he is to have any woman in his life.

This guy is completely clueless.

I think the fact that he was feeble enough to propose to you during a video game - and you actually accepted that lame proposal - doesn't bode well for you at all. I hate to say it, but you knew what you were getting in this deal so you can't cry 'foul' now.

Now I can't get the image of that redheaded guy from Revenge of the Nerds out of my mind.

• Like 3

have you tried cosplay with him? there are conventions, local faires, meetup groups, steampunk events. You two can play your favorite video game figures, but be actually outside in-person interacting with others. Maybe do a road trip to a comiccon or wizard world or something....

Well, I'm going to say it anyway. Something tells me he probably was never popular with the ladies just based on your physical description of him. Add to the fact that he's completely socially stunted and acts like a 15 year old boy with his dumbass video games, and I'm getting the impression he doesn't realize how lucky he is to have any woman in his life.

This guy is completely clueless.

I think the fact that he was feeble enough to propose to you during a video game - and you actually accepted that lame proposal - doesn't bode well for you at all. I hate to say it, but you knew what you were getting in this deal so you can't cry 'foul' now.

Now I can't get the image of that redheaded guy from Revenge of the Nerds out of my mind.

Judgy McJudgerson over here. You do realize she likes games too, right?

• Like 1
  • Author
newlywedder
have you tried cosplay with him? there are conventions, local faires, meetup groups, steampunk events. You two can play your favorite video game figures, but be actually outside in-person interacting with others. Maybe do a road trip to a comiccon or wizard world or something....

Yes we are planning on going to Anime Fest in Dallas during Memorial Weekend. I will be 8 months pregnant by then so doubt I will feel like cosplaying. Maybe painting my belly like a pokeball and he can dress like Pikachu. *shrugs* :laugh:

He never wants to go anywhere or do anything. I love this guy and he was my first real relationship. Before marriage, he would want to go with me all kinds of places but now he just wants to stay at home. I should have thought it was going to be like this when our honeymoon was a "staycation" and all we did was stay home in our new apartment and play video games mostly..among other things. :bunny:

I am a very shy introverted geeky girl myself but I at least like doing things and going places. :rolleyes:

• Author
newlywedder
Judgy McJudgerson over here. You do realize she likes games too, right?

Yes I like video games too but I am a casual gamer, not hardcore like he is. I like playing games to have fun and combat stress built up at work but I don't make it my first priority. I enjoy doing other things too.

• Author
newlywedder
Why can't you still attend these activities you like :confused: ?

Sounds like your H has been pretty consistent in his approach and limited interests all along. What is there about the words "I do" that would make you think he'd change?

I'd think long and hard before adding kids to the mix :( ...

Mr. Lucky

Too late. I am pregnant and due in October. :eek:

He wasn't always so limited in interests. Before marriage, we did things like go to my board game meet ups, local festivities, conventions, ect. Now he just wants to always stay at home. I wish I could get him involved in something else he likes doing.

I love this guy and he was my first real relationship.

Uh-oh. How long were you two together before you married?

And he did all those things like going away with you to impress/keep you, not because he liked it himself.

You can also most likely expect to be practically raising the baby alone. Your partner doesn't sound like the responsible type...

• Like 1
My husband is a extremely sweet and loving husband but all he cares to do when he gets off work is play video games. It is annoying that is his only hobby. I play video games too myself but I also have other hobbies such as board gaming, painting, drawing, reading, exercising, etc. I want us to go take a walk after dinner but he always makes up excuses.

When I don't play video games too, he tells me that I am not "being myself" - whatever that means. When we were dating, we were really into WoW (War of Warcraft) but have since quit because he got into Fall Out. He had even proposed to me while we were playing WoW in the same room. I guess I should have expected this of him after we were married but I am very annoyed.

I'd like us to get involved in more hobbies together like creating a web comic, for example. I keep saying I'd like to draw the panels and he can write the story but nothing comes up of it. I just want us to have fun doing other things than always playing video games.

Are there any active hobbies that someone who plays video games would enjoy doing more?

Newlywedder, I can kind of relate to your frustration. Tho I'm not married to a gamer, I am seeing someone who is very much into gaming (MMOs like HotS, DOTA). He can literally sit down for 10-12 hours straight gaming and doesn't have to leave the house for days - he'd just order takeaway for food. It seemed to me if I didnt call him to go out and do something, he would be content to just stay indoors playing that one single game. I can understand why he likes the game because I can play for hours myself and we do have alot of fun playing together too. But I had to draw the line when it seemed like he wouldn't even pause to queue his next match to talk to me when I went over, he would just make small talk between his matches. Even when he called me, he would be playing his games.

Now this guy isn't a loser - he's one of the most attractive guys I've met and is (somehow) pretty fit; he's funny n I love him to bits but this habit started to drive me nuts. Thank god he seems willing to listen, and when I call him to go out for dinner or a movie he is perfectly willing to. He is open minded enough to talk about other things we can do, even though it means the execution may be left to me. I try to encourage him to pursue things he used to do outdoors like working out with friends, swimming, surfing, and when he tells me how great it feels, it makes me hope that it will encourage him to do those with me. Lol. Taking a walk, however, is t something I'm hopeful for- there isn't much in that which could spur his interest.

So I guess the question is this: is there anything else he used to do that he may have dropped now, but is a potential activity you can do together? Gaming related stuff is limited - there are so many comic cons and blizzcons or E3 parties a year you can go to (which, incidentally I've been to more than he has). Gaming is also inherently counter to nurturing long term hobbies because of the instant gratification nature of rewards ingame. Perhaps you can ask him to try one new thing with you each week and give him space to game the rest of the time as a kind of compromise. He may end up liking one of the things you do together after he starts seeing results or feeling endorphins kick in. the trick is to build momentum. It sounds like the problem is laziness and complacency more than anything else.

Edited by eleve82
Too late. I am pregnant and due in October. :eek:.

Many congrats :cool: !

Let's hope he steps up and kicks into gear...

Mr. Lucky

I like games, they are bloody games go figure. Do not like MMOs and online. Arbatry timesinks fake responsibility all tied to random number generators for stupid virtual items.

The best thing can say to do is pull him away from online games. Offline has the same reletive experience, the only difference is it's consolidated, it doesn't have suto social crap, it doesn't have a subscription ( that fuels the addition of getting money's worth ).

That's all I got. Just if sex / time with opposite sex hasn't won out over an item drop or some bloody raid in a freaking random number generator...I don't know. Like some other posters have said, clueless.

I am a very shy introverted geeky girl myself but I at least like doing things and going places. :rolleyes:

He sounds pretty introverted himself. But believe it or not there are groups where introverts go to play and meet other friends. I can steer you to a couple. They do things like have munches before premiers of new sci fy movies, organize smaller conventions and shows.

One thing to consider is how much "public" time he can stand. Often introverts can do a small crowd for x hours, but then need y days to "recover" from the ordeal. It of course helps if the people you are partying with are "regulars" that you see over and over.

Pregnant at a convention...jeez just wear a big costume....one that is not too hot. Walking around while pregnant is usually GREAT exercise too! You can name the baby after the best cosplay person you see at the con.