LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Marriage & Life Partnerships

Better off, these days, not getting married?

Marriage & Life Partnerships Debunking the old-ball-and-chain stereotype one couple at a time.

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2014, 3:25 PM   #16
Established Member

Having gone through a relatively painless divorce process, I can honestly say I will never wed again.

I strongly believe in the sanctity of marriage, I can say with absolutely honesty that the day I slipped those rings on my ex's fingers and said 'I do', was the single, happiest day of my life. The pride I felt, the overwhelming pride, it's beyond describing to be honest.

But I lost that, because she was already involved in affairs before our marriage. I ended up losing my house, my life and my Pug.

Call my cynical, but I will never allow that to happen again. And considering the age bracket I am in, I'm not all that certain I'd want to get that involved with a woman around my age.

The idea of marriage now scares the living bejesus out of me.
Old 28th July 2014, 5:44 PM   #17
Established Member

I don't think anything is wrong with marriage itself and I think how it turns out is truly based on the two individuals, so I can't say I'd advice that it makes no sense for people to get married.

I think if one doesn't want to get married one should not and doesn't need to but I think it can and still does work for lots of people.
MissBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 1:31 AM   #18
Established Member

My view is that people should only marry if they want to raise children. The vows and legal papers help keep the couple from quitting on each other when normal marital problems arise. The kids are better off with both parents as long as mom and dad have some level of respect for each other. But if you don't want kids there is no reason to get hitched. I think its more romantic to stay with someone because you want to rather then because you have to. Being able to make a clean break without a thought about lawyers and property settlements is sexy.
drifter777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 1:43 AM   #19
Established Member

Prenuptial agreement
jay1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 4:24 AM   #20
Established Member

Funny you mention that, a friend of mine said at the time her parents were married...that they should've been divorced LONG before that (at the time , her parents had reached the 18 year mark), but she claimed they ONLY stayed together because of the kids.

Which is usually a bad idea from what I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter777 View Post
My view is that people should only marry if they want to raise children. The vows and legal papers help keep the couple from quitting on each other when normal marital problems arise. The kids are better off with both parents as long as mom and dad have some level of respect for each other. But if you don't want kids there is no reason to get hitched. I think its more romantic to stay with someone because you want to rather then because you have to. Being able to make a clean break without a thought about lawyers and property settlements is sexy.
irc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 4:29 AM   #21
Established Member

7 year contract

One idea that occurred to me is a 7 year marriage contract. It sounds a bit clinical, but hear me out. The idea is that your marriage license runs out but every seven years you have to review and renew it.

Your happily married couples will just sign the forms and send them back, some may even have a huge party and renew their vows. So for them it's no big deal not having the permanent marriage certificate.

Those who are going to divorce can do so during the 7 year period so this wouldn't affect them either.

But for those in sexless marriages, or who are no longer sure, or who have concerns about the state of the marriage, it gives an opportunity to wave a red flag and review. It could lead to MC which helps the marriage, or even gives a wake up call to one of the spouses. What it does do is ask people to question if their marriage is working and if they are happy. So many people live life in a marriage rut the chance to take a look at it would be no bad thing.

We live soooo long now. How can we possibly be the same people who married at 25 when we are 55?
jackslife is offline   Reply With Quote