Getting used to new name

I recently got married and took my husband's last name. It feels weird when I go out and use my new name...I'm still adjusting I guess! How long did it take for everyone to adjust to their new name?

I didn't officially change my name but socially I use his. I joke that I have an alias. :laugh:

It took a few years for his name to roll off my tongue. I suspect that process would have been shorter if I was using it every day & signing his name.

Change is gradual. You will be fine.

• Like 1
Poppygoodwill

I don't think I'll ever naturally think of myself by his name after 45 years using my own, and my professional name will never change no matter what. But I have added his name onto the end of mine to simplify our social life and I don't mind being called "mrs" anymore. I might change my passport and other official documents to add his name, or I might not. I haven't decided yet.

At first he felt very strongly that he wanted me to take his name. I think it was more just what he was used to, consistent with his life in the military where people tend to be quite traditional. But pretty soon he realized that just because I marry him doesn't mean I change who I am (non-military, liberal, progressive), and he seems now to have embraced my way of doing it. I'm working on getting him to call himself by my name ;)

It didn't take me long at all. Kind of like every January you always want to write the last year instead of the new year, but by Feb you're used to it. lol

Candy_Pants
I recently got married and took my husband's last name. It feels weird when I go out and use my new name...I'm still adjusting I guess! How long did it take for everyone to adjust to their new name?

The only thing I stil haven't gotten used to is signing my new last name. It's crazy long and my first name is pretty long as well. I need to practice. Or adopt a "doctor's" signature which consists of scribbles :p.

(To save our unborn daughter from the same problem we've given her a short first name.)