Not sharing each others' passions: deal breaker?

lucy_in_disguise

I know there are several schools of thought when it comes to marriage and common interests. Some relationships are built around a focal shared passion. For others, spending tome together is a priority, and they compromise by getting interested in the others' hobbies.

Then there are relationships like mine. We have a few general interests in common: our taste in movies, working out. But our primary passions, we dont share.

Is this kind of setup sustainable? I think we are both mature enough to recognize one person does not need to fulfill all our needs, but are we settling by being with a partner who does not share our passions? I am sure it's a subjective question, but I am curious what others' experience have been over the long run.

This weekend opened my eyes to the fact that this might be a problem in my relationship. My long-term bfis a musician and lives for music. I accompanied him to a camping music festival this weekend which he was PSYCHED about... And I am disappointed to report, it was decidedly NOT my scene. Don't get me wrong, I like good music, drinking beer, and smoking weed, but in my opinion, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, and for me, this point occurs somewhere around the 4th hour.

The round the clock jams and overfridndly, fcvked ip hippies annoyed me, not to mention, this festival made me uncomfortable in other ways. People doing drugs in front of children, people getting fcvked up to the point of oblivion on god k ows what, a general lack of teeth amongst the attendees. Someone even od-ed to the point of a coma. I was decidedly NOT enjoying myself, yet this is exactly his scene. He doesnt do drugs but after years of being around people who do, seems desensitized to it, and loves the nonstop music and the (drug induced) friendliness. He was excited telling me about future gigs at similar venues with his band.

Am I lame for holding this against him?mIt's ironic that most chicks dig musicians, but I wish he'd focus on his (primary boring) career instead. Is my lack of interest in his music a deal breaker? I feel pretty insecure abiut it. There are a ton of young hot free hippie chicks who would think my bf is amazing for being in a band. I know all things being equal, he would want me to be one of them. Is it going to be an issue that I'm not?

On the flip side, of course, there are interests I have that he doesn't share. It bugged me at first, but I don't think its a deal breaker, tho i am frequently irritated that i don't have enough time to pursue my interests, due to spending time supporting his. Another difference is my interests generally don't involve consuming large quantities of alcohol amongst topless women.

Edited by lucy_in_disguise
  • Like 1

I don't think your difference in tastes is a deal breaker, by you are starting to sound pretty scary towards the end of your post. You start saying " I wish he would focus on his career instead " .

So you want him to stop caring about his passion and care about what you tell him to care about ? That sounds an awful lot like you want to take away something he loves so you can change him.

Just don't go to music festivals.

If he wants to go to music festivals and you don't then let him go on his own. IMO most couples in a healthy relationship enjoy some separate interests.

Couple of points though...

Do you think he will have little flings when he goes, are you only going because you don't trust him. So is this as much about trust.

Also going to a music festival or having a hobby as a way of de-stressing or getting a way from a boring job seems fine to me. However, if the whole festival thing is affecting his job negatively then you are probably right to flag it with him.

Not sharing the exact same passions and interests often isn't a deal breaker.

Having different lifestyles, values and mores is.

There is a big difference between one person liking one band or type of music and the other one liking something else, vs one person delving into a lifestyle of drugs and weekend music and drugfests and the other person wanting a life of 9 to 5 responsibility and sobriety.

IMHO your situation is more about lifestyle preferences and values and mores than simply passions and interests.

I think you have very just cause to question your compatibility and whether this relationship should continue.

Having different tastes in music isn't a big deal. You seeing him as irresponsible because he's into a lifestyle of sex, drugs and rock and roll with hippies and groupies while you are heading for the stability of a sober 9 to 5er working on his home and family is a pretty big deal.

Those groupies that you are looking down your nose at may dig him for a weekend and would be glad to blow him backstage for some free weed or tickets for the next show, but even 95% of them would not want him for a LTR if they were wanting a stable and secure future. They would dump him too once they wanted a traditional relationship.

• Like 5

I don't think it's necessarily a deal breaker for everyone... plus there are various levels of 'sharing'. My SO and I have a good overlap of hobbies/passions, but we don't share every single one of them. However the ones we do share are pretty big things for both of us, so it is kinda cool to have a 'buddy' in your SO whom you can enjoy such things with aside from standard couple/romantic/sexual stuff. But it really does depend on the person.

On the flip side, of course, there are interests I have that he doesn't share. It bugged me at first, but I don't think its a deal breaker, tho i am frequently irritated that i don't have enough time to pursue my interests, due to spending time supporting his. Another difference is my interests generally don't involve consuming large quantities of alcohol amongst topless women.

IMO the bolded is the real crux of the issue here. If you are growing to resent this, have you spoken to him about it?

compulsivedancer

My H is a musician. It can be a challenging life, but rewarding as well. There are lots of questions here to consider. You don't have to answer these here, just things to think about.

First off, is he participating in this lifestyle, or is he going to the show to play or watch the music? Musicians have a lot of opportunities for bad behavior, so he has to have the kind of character you can trust. My H is a resoundingly upstanding guy, but he is repeatedly offered all kinds of drugs and sex, often with very tempting women. This is part of the music culture, so you've got to figure out whether he's a guy who can handle it, and whether you can too.

Next, what type of music job does he have? A gigging musician may face a challenging career, and many work as waiters or in retail, or get a day job to make up the difference. Many rely on a spouse with a steady income. Many work late nights and spend long unsupervised (by the SO) months on tour. On the other hand, there are a few stable music jobs out there that don't require this, and that is a completely different ball game.

You're stuck with the constant rehearsals. Learn to love them and invest in good soundproofing. DO NOT be the SO that expects a musician to make money without rehearsals. This always hurts both the relationship AND the career. If you can't live with this, yes, it's a deal breaker.

Also, does he have what it takes to make it? This industry requires time, effort, determination, connections, skill, and a little luck. Many people try to do this as a career and are really only cut out to be a "weekend warrior." As an SO, you get to pick up the slack if he works for the rest of his life as a waiter. So take a step back and evaluate.

I had one more question, but forgot. I'll post it later if I remember.

As far as gigs and festivals. If you trust your guy, don't go to all of them. The worst band wives are the ones that have to attend every gig. Go to the ones you enjoy, have a bite to eat or a couple drinks, then go home.

Remember that being a musician is an entire life, and if it's not, he probably won't be able to make a career out of it.

YOU don't have to be passionate about music, just supportive and patient. But make sure you two develop some other shared interests. It's easy to get lonely as a musician's SO. Make sure he makes time for you outside of music, but don't require him to give up his Friday and Saturday nights if he gigs.

Edited by compulsivedancer

I don't think sharing passions is a necessity. Sometimes those passions provide a nice distraction & a way to get away from your SO. Doing different things makes you more interesting when you come back together.

Sometimes you can blend them. One of my EXs was an avid fisherman. I hate fish. But I like to read in the sun so I'd go fishing with him. It was a compromise.

• Like 1
  • Author
lucy_in_disguise
I don't think your difference in tastes is a deal breaker, by you are starting to sound pretty scary towards the end of your post. You start saying " I wish he would focus on his career instead " .

So you want him to stop caring about his passion and care about what you tell him to care about ? That sounds an awful lot like you want to take away something he loves so you can change him.

Just don't go to music festivals.

No, I don't want to change him. I recognize that this is his passion and am not dumb enough to pressure him into letting it go. I just question whether my desires are compatible with the lifestyle.

For those who have touched on this, it is a lifestyle. He was much more into it before we met, having spent most of his teens and twenties going to these festivals. When we met he had recently moved to a new town and was out of touch with his music friends. Now he is in a band again and is psyched to be getting back into the scene. Until this weekend I guess I didn't realize what that meant.

I am supportive of him playing music as a hobby but, IMO, this goes beyond. For all his bandmates, music is the primary focus, not just a weekend interest (he is the only one who also has a "real" job). They practice 2-3 times a week and have gigs every weekend. Although I trust him not to cheat, I guess I fear I will lose him to a lack of connection if I don't make an attempt to get involved. And yet, as I said, I am not sure I have much interest in spending what little free time I have this way.

Is this something worth bringing up? We've been together for a couple of years and besides this issue, the relationship is pretty solid. How do I bring it up in a manner that doesnt resemble an ultimatum? To reiterate, I really have no desire to "make" him give anything up, but at the same time, I'm not sure I can roll with this.

To put this in perspective, he has festivals lined up for the next 3 weekends.

• Author
lucy_in_disguise
I don't think it's necessarily a deal breaker for everyone... plus there are various levels of 'sharing'. My SO and I have a good overlap of hobbies/passions, but we don't share every single one of them. However the ones we do share are pretty big things for both of us, so it is kinda cool to have a 'buddy' in your SO whom you can enjoy such things with aside from standard couple/romantic/sexual stuff. But it really does depend on the person.

IMO the bolded is the real crux of the issue here. If you are growing to resent this, have you spoken to him about it?

We have discussed the time allocation issues but to no real satisfying conclusion. He just tells me I should do what I need to do. When I follow that advice it's easy not to see him for days tho since he doesn't make a ton of effort to join me (only when asked).

Ultimately, this sounds like a deal-breaker as it is a lifestyle for him that you are not comfortable sharing.

For a long-term relationship, it would only serve in both of your self interests to have a shared activity that takes up this much time which you both enjoy.

Looking down the road several years, what would you see in this relationship if he is gone at festivals every weekend and you were home alone? Or - conversely - if you were off doing something you were passionate about that he has no interest in?

• Like 1
  • Author
lucy_in_disguise
My H is a musician. It can be a challenging life, but rewarding as well. There are lots of questions here to consider. You don't have to answer these here, just things to think about.

First off, is he participating in this lifestyle, or is he going to the show to play or watch the music? Musicians have a lot of opportunities for bad behavior, so he has to have the kind of character you can trust. My H is a resoundingly upstanding guy, but he is repeatedly offered all kinds of drugs and sex, often with very tempting women. This is part of the music culture, so you've got to figure out whether he's a guy who can handle it, and whether you can too.

Next, what type of music job does he have? A gigging musician may face a challenging career, and many work as waiters or in retail, or get a day job to make up the difference. Many rely on a spouse with a steady income. Many work late nights and spend long unsupervised (by the SO) months on tour. On the other hand, there are a few stable music jobs out there that don't require this, and that is a completely different ball game.

You're stuck with the constant rehearsals. Learn to love them and invest in good soundproofing. DO NOT be the SO that expects a musician to make money without rehearsals. This always hurts both the relationship AND the career. If you can't live with this, yes, it's a deal breaker.

Also, does he have what it takes to make it? This industry requires time, effort, determination, connections, skill, and a little luck. Many people try to do this as a career and are really only cut out to be a "weekend warrior." As an SO, you get to pick up the slack if he works for the rest of his life as a waiter. So take a step back and evaluate.

I had one more question, but forgot. I'll post it later if I remember.

As far as gigs and festivals. If you trust your guy, don't go to all of them. The worst band wives are the ones that have to attend every gig. Go to the ones you enjoy, have a bite to eat or a couple drinks, then go home.

Remember that being a musician is an entire life, and if it's not, he probably won't be able to make a career out of it.

YOU don't have to be passionate about music, just supportive and patient. But make sure you two develop some other shared interests. It's easy to get lonely as a musician's SO. Make sure he makes time for you outside of music, but don't require him to give up his Friday and Saturday nights if he gigs.

Thank you for the feedback! I was hoping to hear from someone with some experience dating musicians and I feel like you have touched on many of the important considerations. Do you have any regrets about marrying your husband related to his career choice?

To answer some of your questions.. My bf has a "real" job but seems to also have ambitions for his band. He wants to make it and frequently prioritizes music over his career, but can fall back on the job for financial security.

The other people in his band are full-time musicians (part time waiters).

I do not believe they have what it takes to ever make ends meet with the music, but honestly I am not sure if that is their goal. His goal appears to be gettin as many fans as possible. Even with a substantial following of high 20-yr olds I know it is tough to make any money in the business.

I would never want to be in a position where I am subsidizing someone's lifestyle because they can't be bothered to have a real job so they can pursue their passion. Don't get me wrong, I am all for others making that choice- I recognize people with passion add a lot more to society than corporate drones like me- but I don't want to pay for someone to live that dream. Id have too much resentment. However, since he has a real job, that's not the issue.

He absolutely does not partake in the sex and drugs aspect. If he did, that would absolutely be a dealbreaker for me.

Nevertheless, I am beginning to question his priorities. I feel like he's shortchanging his career with the late night gigs and rehearsals. I don't understand the bands goals (or lack thereof). The festivals/ shows aren't my thing, but I feel like I need to attend (and enjoy) them to some extent.

• Author
lucy_in_disguise
Ultimately, this sounds like a deal-breaker as it is a lifestyle for him that you are not comfortable sharing.

For a long-term relationship, it would only serve in both of your self interests to have a shared activity that takes up this much time which you both enjoy.

Looking down the road several years, what would you see in this relationship if he is gone at festivals every weekend and you were home alone? Or - conversely - if you were off doing something you were passionate about that he has no interest in?

If we stay together, I see either him giving it up to a large extent once we have kids (perhaps resenting me in the process), or me compromising on my interests and finding a way to enjoy it with him. I don't see the separate lifestyles thing as sustainable (tobthis extent) once there are kids in the picture.

They practice 2-3 times a week and have gigs every weekend.

As others have said, this is beyond a passion. It's a monopoly of his free time.

One of my passions, not shared by my wife, is exercise. So I go late evening or early morning 3-4 days a week, gone 1 1/2 to 2 hours and then home. My wife has her own interests which she pursues in the same time frames. We each do our own thing but leave plenty of open together time.

Music isn't the problem here. It's the degree - to the exclusion of your relationship - to which he's interesting in pursuing it. IMO, lots to think about here. He seems pretty willing to leave you behind :( ...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

Do you realize how many times you have used the term "real job" in your posts??

Does he and his bandmates also see this as a silly little past time that interfere with their 'real' jobs and family life or do you think they may see their music lifestyle as their real job and their career aspirations? Do you think that they will also view music interfering with family life and childrearing or will they see children as happering their music efforts?

The bottom line line here is you don't see the music aspirations as serious or legitimate and they do.

This is what I was talking about when I said that differing lifestyle preferences, values and mores is critical.

• Like 1
No, I don't want to change him.

but yet you want him to be something else.[/b

He was much more into it before we met, having spent most of his teens and twenties going to these festivals. When we met he had recently moved to a new town and was out of touch with his music friends. Now he is in a band again and is psyched to be getting back into the scene. Until this weekend I guess I didn't realize what that meant.

this is a very important piece to this puzzle. When you were initially becoming attracted to him and developing a relationship with him, he was a normal 9 to 5er and not living this lifestyle.

Music was a part of him already but you weren't experiencing it firsthand.

I am supportive of him playing music as a hobby but, IMO, this goes beyond.

again, you are not seeing this as a legitimate pursuit and don't take it seriously. You are having a hard time respecting him since you see him devoting so much time and energy and money into something you see as a 'hobby.'

Although I trust him not to cheat, I guess I fear I will lose him to a lack of connection if I don't make an attempt to get involved.

we all know the opportunities he has with stoned groupie chicks and women who are serious about musician s. Will you be able to stay connected to him enough for the next 40 years that he will never feel lonely, disrespected, unappreciated and undesired to where he'll never be tempted to take one up on it?

Is this something worth bringing up? We've been together for a couple of years and besides this issue, the relationship is pretty solid. How do I bring it up in a manner that doesnt resemble an ultimatum? To reiterate, I really have no desire to "make" him give anything up, but at the same time, I'm not sure I can roll with this.

is there really any way NOT to have this come up and be an issue that must be addressed????

you realise their goal and life dream and the thing they are pursuing is to do this all the time, right???

Responses in bold above.

We have discussed the time allocation issues but to no real satisfying conclusion. He just tells me I should do what I need to do.

translation = he is doing this with or without you and you are free to go.

When I follow that advice it's easy not to see him for days tho since he doesn't make a ton of effort to join me (only when asked).

translation = he means it. His words and his actions are congruent. He's being upfront and honest with you. He is doing it with or without your approval and he won't try to stop you or hold it against you if you go

Responses in bold above.

One of the questions you have to ask yourself is, Are you willing to live with that?

• Like 1
  • Author
lucy_in_disguise
Do you realize how many times you have used the term "real job" in your posts??

Does he and his bandmates also see this as a silly little past time that interfere with their 'real' jobs and family life or do you think they may see their music lifestyle as their real job and their career aspirations? Do you think that they will also view music interfering with family life and childrearing or will they see children as happering their music efforts?

The bottom line line here is you don't see the music aspirations as serious or legitimate and they do.

This is what I was talking about when I said that differing lifestyle preferences, values and mores is critical.

As I have said, he is the only one in the band with a "real" job. His bandmates view music as their primary career. With regards to family life/ children, they are all either younger where that's not yet a consideration, or don't ever want kids.

I should add that all of them have super-supportive gf's who are either musicians themselves, or really into the scene. This adds to my feeling like we may not be compatible since I feel he desires the same level of support from me (which I am incapable of giving without compromising my own career and interests).

You are right, the goal for them is to do this full time. That's a lot for me to think about.

• Author
lucy_in_disguise
Responses in bold above.

One of the questions you have to ask yourself is, Are you willing to live with that?

Oldshirt, that would be an accurate assessment. Am I willing to live with it? That's what I'm hoping to figure out by seeking feedback from you married folks. Does it sound like a situation that has a good chance of working, assuming we are committed to each other? Or is the discrepancy large enough to cause resentment, fights, or plain old drifting apart?

a couple other points to make here and I'm surprised no-one else has addressed this yet

It's ironic that most chicks dig musicians, but I wish he'd focus on his (primary boring) career instead.

sure a lot of chicks dig musicians, but you're not other chicks. Musicians don't seem to mean squat to you and you respect, admire and are attracted to guys who pursue what you consider a "real" career.

I feel pretty insecure abiut it. There are a ton of young hot free hippie chicks who would think my bf is amazing for being in a band. I know all things being equal, he would want me to be one of them.

Is it going to be an issue that I'm not?

i think this is a huge issue for a number of reasons. The first is if he really does wish you were groupie material (which we don't know if he actually does) You are not only not a groupie but seem to have actual disgust for them. You seem to even think lesser of yourself for being associated with these guys and their groupies.

Regardless of whether he actually wants a groupie for a GF or not, you believe he does and thus do not believe you are a match for him.

If this mindset continues, it will not end well.

Another difference is my interests generally don't involve consuming large quantities of alcohol amongst topless women.

You simply do not take his music aspirations seriously as a legitimate pursuit. You have lost a lot of respect for him since seeing this side of him and seeing that this is something he takes seriously. Bad juju here.

More thoughts in bold above.

Oldshirt, that would be an accurate assessment. Am I willing to live with it? That's what I'm hoping to figure out by seeking feedback from you married folks. Does it sound like a situation that has a good chance of working, assuming we are committed to each other? Or is the discrepancy large enough to cause resentment, fights, or plain old drifting apart?

Marriages that DO have similar passions, goals, dreams, values, priorities etc etc often have resentments, fights and plain old drifting apart.

Your situation here is setting up for resentments, fights and drifting apart on steroids.

There is a reason the other guys have GF s that are supportive and passionate and that is because women that value stability and security and consistent incomes that don't want stoned topless women blowing their BF s every weekend wont give these guys the time of day.

They are the women that share the same interests and passion so they put up with the sporadic income, the rehearsals, the drugs, the women etc.

Most importantly though is they understand and respect their pursuit of a music career and think it is time and energy well spent.

You do not. You think it is frivolous and irresponsible. You not only don't admire it or respect it, you think it is a waste and dumb.

Women can't desire a man they don't respect. And a man can't support, love and cherish a woman that doesn't respect and desire him.

With your current feelings contempt and disgust and feelings that this is a silly and frivolous and immature pursuit, my predictions aren't favorable at all.

That's just me though, others mileage may very.

What I think will be the death toll on this relationship is your values and beliefs on what constitutes a "real" job and what doesn't.

Edited by oldshirt
  • Author
lucy_in_disguise

I'm nt sure where you are picking up disgust/ contempt. I do respect my bf's musical ability. That's not the issue. Not being able to spend quality time as a result of his increasing commitment to it is the issue. I don't think he is making the wrong choice to pick his passion. It's a no brainier as far as I am concerned. I just don't know if I see this relationship progressing within this framework.

My disgust/ contempt is directed at some types of people in the venue. Not the musicians or even the groupies but the (yes, irresponsible) older drug addicts who have no problem bringing their 6 month old child to a festival to sit in a drug circle and pop pills. Yes, that behaivior disgusts me and I am disturbed that my boyfriend does not bat an eye.

Re: whether he wishes I was musician myself. I think he does, because he has said as much. All other things being equal, he wishes he could share that with me. He stressed that most times, all other things are not equal.

Re: "real" jobs. I'd say what constitutes a real job is something that pays the bills. The reality is that jam bands do not. Note he is also in his mid-thirties. By my assessment, if he hasn't "made it" by now, the train is leaving the station.

Edited by lucy_in_disguise

I do respect my bf's musical ability. That's not the issue.

you may respect his ability but are disturbed that he has a higher passion for it than a "real job". I'm not implying that you are mistreating your BF or dissing him intentionally. When I talk of disrespect I mean that you don't hold it in esteem or believe that it is a valid pursuit.

Not being able to spend quality time as a result of his increasing commitment to it is the issue.

he will spend a minimum of 40 hours a week in corporate America and likely much much more if he is to achieve any success but you aren't complaining of that. That is because you respect a 9 to 5 profession and deem it a legitimate pursuits.

I don't think he is making the wrong choice to pick his passion. It's a no brainier as far as I am concerned. I just don't know if I see this relationship progressing within this framework.

that's fair.

I work in the health care profession. If I met and started dating a nurse and after we had developed a relationship, she started pursuing her real passion to be a stripper and ultimately make a lot more money and be doing what she loved. I would feel much the same as you.

I wouldn't have the right to judge or condemn her nor the right to ask her to curtail her passions and dreams for me but I would probably lose respect and admiration for her and seek someone who had what I deem as a more honorable profession.

Your situation is similar. You aren't condemning him nor asking him to put his toys away and stop playing rock star. You are questioning your compatibility of lifestyles and values.

My disgust/ contempt is directed at some types of people in the venue. that's what I meant. However you really can't separate the two. Groupies, drugs, free love, irresponsible parenting etc are all part of that work environment for them and in many ways they have to cater to and accommodate that element.

It will be hard to dislike the druggies, hippies, groupies etc but yet love the person that must entertain and cater to them in their environment.

Yes, that behaivior disgusts me and I am disturbed that my boyfriend does not bat an eye.

that is analogous to me trying to love a stripper but hating the greasy, slimy, perverts that put her paycheck in her g-string.

Re: whether he wishes I was musician myself. I think he does, because he has said as much. All other things being equal, he wishes he could share that with me. He stressed that most times, all other things are not equal.

analogous to a stripper wanting a man who digs strippers and believes the adult entertainment industry is an honorable profession. This would be like a stripper wanting a guy who was either a club owner, Party-Girl agency owner, bouncer or Chippendale himself.

Re: "real" jobs. I'd say what constitutes a real job is something that pays the bills. The reality is that jam bands do not. Note he is also in his mid-thirties. By my assessment, if he hasn't "made it" by now, the train is leaving the station.

i you see this as boys playing with toys playing rock star while they should be climbing to that next rung on the corporate ladder so they can afford to install the granite countertops you've been asking for and get game room converted to the nursery like a responsible husband and father would do.

Again, this is not about different passions and interests. It's about differing values, life priorities etc etc

More above.

I'm not saying you need to kick him to the curb today. You haven't said anything that implies he's not a good guy or has done anything wrong.

However I do think you are starting to see some warning signs that there may be some compatibility issues if you are wanting to lead a traditional 9 to 5 home and family life.

compulsivedancer
Thank you for the feedback! I was hoping to hear from someone with some experience dating musicians and I feel like you have touched on many of the important considerations. Do you have any regrets about marrying your husband related to his career choice?

Not generally. At times I have resented the financial implications. It would certainly be easier if he had a steady paycheck rather than variable income. But since I work in non-profits, I do think that some day he'll make more money than me. (Not from gigging specifically...a musician must have multiple projects in order to succeed unless they hit the jackpot.) Just probably not any time soon.

But I am very very proud of him. He has grown so much as a musician in the time I've known him. Even if we broke up, I think I'd still follow his career. It's important to me to see what he does. I don't attend gigs often, because let's face it, it gets monotonous, so when I do, it's always incredible to see him do new things or play with different people, etc.

Re: whether he wishes I was musician myself. I think he does, because he has said as much. All other things being equal, he wishes he could share that with me.

H has said a variety of things on this. He does wish he could share it with me. Over the years, we've developed a shorthand analogy of music as a language, since language is my thing and there are a lot of crossovers. This makes it a lot easier for me to understand where he's coming from. It also spawns lots of cool thought and ideas.

He's also told me that he likes that I'm not a musician, so we're not talking shop all the time. He says it helps keep him grounded.

As far as band wives go, I've seen a lot of musicians where the wife/gf was not entirely happy about his career. It never goes well. Usually she demands a lot of his time or requires him to work a 40-hour-a-week job, neither of which really allow enough time to pursue a career in music. This is fine if it's a hobby. But if it's a career, it's not.

As far as attending festivals...remember, he's at work. Does he go with you to your job every day? No. If he worked at a bar, would you be in there every shift drinking and having a good time? I hope not, and I imagine you'd get quite annoying after a while. So you do not have to be at every gig (unless he only plays 3 a year. If that's the case, then yes, you do have to go.)

Edited by compulsivedancer
Miss Awesome
I know there are several schools of thought when it comes to marriage and common interests. Some relationships are built around a focal shared passion. For others, spending tome together is a priority, and they compromise by getting interested in the others' hobbies.

Then there are relationships like mine. We have a few general interests in common: our taste in movies, working out. But our primary passions, we dont share.

Is this kind of setup sustainable? I think we are both mature enough to recognize one person does not need to fulfill all our needs, but are we settling by being with a partner who does not share our passions? I am sure it's a subjective question, but I am curious what others' experience have been over the long run.

This weekend opened my eyes to the fact that this might be a problem in my relationship. My long-term bfis a musician and lives for music. I accompanied him to a camping music festival this weekend which he was PSYCHED about... And I am disappointed to report, it was decidedly NOT my scene. Don't get me wrong, I like good music, drinking beer, and smoking weed, but in my opinion, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, and for me, this point occurs somewhere around the 4th hour.

The round the clock jams and overfridndly, fcvked ip hippies annoyed me, not to mention, this festival made me uncomfortable in other ways. People doing drugs in front of children, people getting fcvked up to the point of oblivion on god k ows what, a general lack of teeth amongst the attendees. Someone even od-ed to the point of a coma. I was decidedly NOT enjoying myself, yet this is exactly his scene. He doesnt do drugs but after years of being around people who do, seems desensitized to it, and loves the nonstop music and the (drug induced) friendliness. He was excited telling me about future gigs at similar venues with his band.

Am I lame for holding this against him?mIt's ironic that most chicks dig musicians, but I wish he'd focus on his (primary boring) career instead. Is my lack of interest in his music a deal breaker? I feel pretty insecure abiut it. There are a ton of young hot free hippie chicks who would think my bf is amazing for being in a band. I know all things being equal, he would want me to be one of them. Is it going to be an issue that I'm not?

I have a couple thoughts. The first is that you're not lame for feeling the way you do. Feelings are always valid. It's how you handle them that can be an issue.

I don't think having different passions is the problem here. What makes me doubt the success of your relationship is that you say you're holding it against him - so more than having different passions, it sounds like he has a passion that you think isn't such a good use of his time - *and* you seem to feel you've had to put aside what you love in order to help him pursue this. Sounds like a recipe for resentment if you ask me.

If you're intent on working things out, then I think you might want to consider the following. Your boyfriend loves music and is pursuing it. That's ambitious, and ambition is a desirable quality. So while you may have trouble thinking that he's amazing for being in a band, maybe it's possible for you to think he's amazing for being ambitious enough to, forgive the cliche, follow his dreams. I think the flipside of it is that you need to be sure to keep open communication with him and let him know what makes you uncomfortable (as well as how he can help you feel more comfortable), let him know that you feel you're putting your own interests aside (or figure out a way to bring your focus back to them), and talk with him about how to handle future events.

Based on all your posts, OP, IMO the two of you are just not compatible. This goes way beyond a couple who just have different hobbies. He's basically telling you that his band is going to take the majority of his free time, you will come in after his band, and you can take it or leave it. And your concerns about lack of stable income are valid, especially if you plan on having kids (which it sounds like you are).

Frankly, even though my SO and I share some hobbies, if he told me he was going to spend the next 3 weekends doing those hobbies and I had no say in it except as to whether I want to join him or not... I wouldn't be too happy. I'm fine with a man prioritizing his career. I'm not fine with a man prioritizing his hobbies over me - and yes, if he isn't making enough to live on, it's a hobby. It sounds like you are much the same.

• Like 1