Video games and marriage

I know a lot of people have issues with gamers but my issue is with my husband NOT wearing headphones while playing xbox. He doesnt play THAT often but when he gets home from work he will play for like 20 to 30 minutes or when we get into a fight he will go play for like 1 hour plus. Or sometimes even jus one or two games, basically it is like a break for him or to kill time when I am getting ready or in the shower. Sometimes when I come to watch some tv or talk to him and he is playing, he says just two more games babe (about 15 minutes more). BUT HE HATES WEARING HIS HEADPHONES and thats my ISSUE so unless I am sleeping or working on my comp for an important work thing or st, he will not put them on. We live in a small apartment and he plays on the TV, so he says just close the door and you will not hear it that much. I realise that it is okay once in a while to let him but I find it soo annoying to still hear it faintly in the background, all the warfare noises. I dont mind tv but the game noises annoy me. I ask him to put it on and he does several times but the times he is angry after a fight or Im getting ready he doesnt. When I am getting ready its only like 15 minutes that it takes me after shower and makeup and stuff so I dont like to bother him to put it on but it is still annoying. HOW CAN I MAKE HIM ALWAYS PUT IT ON. He says it hurts his ears. I have bought him two earphones both the big round ear piece and the small apply type ear piece that goes in the ear. Its very inconsiderate of him but I dont know how to not seem naggy. Help! Also when he is playing it what should I do like where should i go we have a small apartment and our living room is the only space to watch tv and relax and he plays in the TV. I usually go on the dining table and go in the internet or in the bedroom but our bedroom is so small. I get lost when we fight and he does this cause soemtimes I dont want to go out for a walk or to a cafe. I want to relax in the house.Sometimes I wonder what couples in small apartments do when they get into fights.

Edited by yourstruly

When the two of your aren't mad at each other you should sit down with him and explain in a non whiny, non confrontationall manner the rational & reasonable reasons that you've listed here for wanting to find a solution that suits the BOTH of you. After all, it's your space as much as it's his.

Perhaps you could try rearranging your space so that the "gaming" space is as FAR from the your shared bedroom as possible, or looking at alternative headphone/sound systems together so that both of you can be happy with the solution.

It doesn't sound like he is using it 24-7, so can you not compromise for that hour? Maybe he can turn the volume down. I know I've asked my husband to do this. Never thought of the earphones thing, but maybe I will mention it since my H seems to play games more than your H.

I know a lot of people have issues with gamers but my issue is with my husband NOT wearing headphones while playing xbox. He doesnt play THAT often but when he gets home from work he will play for like 20 to 30 minutes or when we get into a fight he will go play for like 1 hour plus. Or sometimes even jus one or two games, basically it is like a break for him or to kill time when I am getting ready or in the shower. Sometimes when I come to watch some tv or talk to him and he is playing, he says just two more games babe (about 15 minutes more). BUT HE HATES WEARING HIS HEADPHONES and thats my ISSUE so unless I am sleeping or working on my comp for an important work thing or st, he will not put them on. We live in a small apartment and he plays on the TV, so he says just close the door and you will not hear it that much. I realise that it is okay once in a while to let him but I find it soo annoying to still hear it faintly in the background, all the warfare noises. I dont mind tv but the game noises annoy me. I ask him to put it on and he does several times but the times he is angry after a fight or Im getting ready he doesnt. When I am getting ready its only like 15 minutes that it takes me after shower and makeup and stuff so I dont like to bother him to put it on but it is still annoying. HOW CAN I MAKE HIM ALWAYS PUT IT ON. He says it hurts his ears. I have bought him two earphones both the big round ear piece and the small apply type ear piece that goes in the ear. Its very inconsiderate of him but I dont know how to not seem naggy. Help! Also when he is playing it what should I do like where should i go we have a small apartment and our living room is the only space to watch tv and relax and he plays in the TV. I usually go on the dining table and go in the internet or in the bedroom but our bedroom is so small. I get lost when we fight and he does this cause soemtimes I dont want to go out for a walk or to a cafe. I want to relax in the house.Sometimes I wonder what couples in small apartments do when they get into fights.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if 30 mins of video game noise is this big of an issue for you then you're not cut out for marriage, at all.

• Like 3
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if 30 mins of video game noise is this big of an issue for you then you're not cut out for marriage, at all.

I agree. I would love it if my husband stopped after 30 minutes! :laugh:

• Like 1

Your opening post scares me. It's understandable if you don't want the noise when you're sleeping or studying... but when you're putting on makeup???? Seriously, you need to learn to compromise, otherwise you'll never be able to cohabitate. If it's not this it's going to be something else.

• Like 1
Your opening post scares me. It's understandable if you don't want the noise when you're sleeping or studying... but when you're putting on makeup???? Seriously, you need to learn to compromise, otherwise you'll never be able to cohabitate. If it's not this it's going to be something else.

Yeah, the noise only starts bothering me when my H plays games nonstop for hours on end.

MuscleCarFan
Yeah, the noise only starts bothering me when my H plays games nonstop for hours on end.

Am I that bad hun? :p

Am I that bad hun? :p

30 minutes to an hour as what the OP describes isn't a big deal...hours on end starts becoming a nuisance.

• Like 1

This is why I've always had a dedicated gaming room.

Problem solved. If she still has a problem, its on her.

• Like 1

Yeah...I'm going to agree with the others here.

Your husband only plays his game for 30 mins to an hour at a time, you are incredibly lucky! Lots of guys will play games for HOURS. I mean, I'm a girl and I play games for hours sometimes.

Moreover, your husband has given you a legitimate reason why he won't wear the headphones...they hurt his ears. Why is your annoyance with the game noise more important than his discomfort wearing the headphones? I think this is something that you are being unreasonable about. It would be one thing if he was playing games at all hours of the night and keeping you awake, but to cause fights over this? I don't know.

Why don't you ask him what things you do that annoy him? I guarantee you there will be something. Maybe it will be an eye-opening for you. When two people are married, they are going to annoy each other sometimes. And it can't always be just about you.

• Like 3

Another thought...what kind of headphones has he tried?

There are many different ones out there that are available...if they hurt his ears, one solution might be to look at what, specifically, is hurting and why...and look for headphones that don't hurt.

Might be worthwhile for him (and you) to invest in some high quality headphones if they solve the problems.

• Like 1
Another thought...what kind of headphones has he tried?

There are many different ones out there that are available...if they hurt his ears, one solution might be to look at what, specifically, is hurting and why...and look for headphones that don't hurt.

Might be worthwhile for him (and you) to invest in some high quality headphones if they solve the problems.

Probably won't help. I have high quality blackshark headphones. $150. They still shirt.my ears after about 15 minutes. These are over ear headphones too.

BetheButterfly

I'm not fond of some earphones either. They hurt my ears. As it is, if my husband was trying to force me to wear them, I would not appreciate that. Is there a way you can come to a compromise without trying to make him wear headphones? Could he see about turning the volume a little lower, or could you go into another room and close the door, and put earphones on instead of him?

Why not show you love him by making the decision of you putting on headphones with your fav. music, come up and smile at him, give him a kiss, show him you are wearing your earphones, and blow him a kiss as you go to another room and close the door? That would touch his heart a lot more than nagging him about earphones...:bunny:

• Like 1
pink_sugar
I'm not fond of some earphones either. They hurt my ears. As it is, if my husband was trying to force me to wear them, I would not appreciate that. Is there a way you can come to a compromise without trying to make him wear headphones? Could he see about turning the volume a little lower, or could you go into another room and close the door, and put earphones on instead of him?

Why not show you love him by making the decision of you putting on headphones with your fav. music, come up and smile at him, give him a kiss, show him you are wearing your earphones, and blow him a kiss as you go to another room and close the door? That would touch his heart a lot more than nagging him about earphones...:bunny:

I'm not even a gamer and my ears hurt after about an hour or two of listening to music at a moderate level with earphones. I think that unless the OP is sleeping or studying or something, she can handle some noise for 30 minutes to an hour.

• Like 1

At least he isn't hiding online games from you and being furtive about what he does. I get that the noise can be annoying, but he could be doing things that were soooooooo much worse. (I played online games and ran across many, many people who were cheating on their partners) Your guy plays Xbox, if I read correctly, and he does it openly, and not for hours and hours..not bad really. Maybe you could put on an ipod and have some downtime while he plays.:)

• Like 1
WasOtherWoman

I am having trouble even IMAGINING my husband playing video games.

Do all men do this?

pink_sugar

Do all men do this?

Seems like a good sized chunk do.

Do all men do this?

Welcome to 2014. We've been expecting you.

You have an entire series of about 3 generations who grew up with video games. So naturally they will carry their passions into adulthood.

Some people get pretty judgmental about people playing video games. These are usually the people who insist others must live life like they do.

• Like 1
bwright42tx
I agree. I would love it if my husband stopped after 30 minutes! :laugh:

We just play video games together. Problem solved!

GorillaTheater

Do all men do this?

Nope. I have other things I want to do.

Besides, it pisses me off every time I get killed.

• Like 1