Diamond ring dilema

My fiancée asked me if I could help him find the engagement ring I like.

He gave me a figure of what the budget would be, and after shopping around quite a bit, I found the perfect ring. I like everything about it! Problem is it's about 5% over what he'd like to spend.

I told him about the ring and then the next thing he found this lady who owns a diamond business. She claims she can create pretty much any ring based on a picture you show her, for a better price of course.

I went there today and wasn't impressed at all... The diamonds seemed of good quality (GIA certified), but the settings were hand-made in a way that didn't look quite right.

My fiancée seems to think we could work out these details by visiting the workshop frequently and seeing the work in progress, whereas I am not comfortable going back there.

I don't know what to do...I am tempted to offer to pay for the difference and get the ring I like, but I am very concerned I might hurt his feelings.

You can see I could really use your advice...

She's Come Undone

Hmmm, says she whose never had one...I would keep looking...

but then I was just doing some calculations...if his budget is $3000, then 5% is only $150, budget $5000, difference is $250. That doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Anyway, if he can't/won't pay the little extra or isn't willing to let you chip in for something HE wanted you to pick out, I say keep looking for another man...NO, NO, I'm just kidding...for another RING!! LOL

BTW, there ARE other jewelers as well.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't ask to pay the additional 5%. Just do it in a way that he won't take it in a disrespectfull way.

Tell him, "You know, being in this day and age where girls are now asking guys out, the women are driving the men around more in their vehicles, the wife is working etc., etc., would it hurt your feelings if I offer to pay the difference on the ring that's already made and perfect in my eyes? If it would than I understand and we'll try it your way, just thought I'd ask."

See what his reaction turns out to be. There's nothing wrong with testing the waters as long as you don't create to big a waves.

Good luck!!

Moose

the settings were hand-made in a way that didn't look quite right.

Then probably your ring wouldn't look right too.

I know that from experience..... my mother is currently owning a pearl ring she never wears which looks like a *very* bad copy of a Pomellato pearl ring. (and actually *is* a very bad copy of it)

If you saw that her jewelry is *excellent* I'd say give it a try...but if they didn't look right it's a big no.

My fiancée seems to think we could work out these details by visiting the workshop frequently and seeing the work in progress, whereas I am not comfortable going back there.

Useless. :(

Offering to pay the 5% would hurt my feelings if I were him.

I'd rather pay it all.

I think that offer to pay 5% is sad.....it's difficult for me to explain why....but I mean no offence, it's just my opinion.

5% would not make a lot of difference to him economically, but it will 'spoil' the romance and the gesture.

If it's that ring you want, either offer to pay for half of it(or at least 30% of it, not such a ridicolous amount like 5%) or allow him to pay for the whole cost of it. :)

Any chances of the jewelry shop owner offering to sell you the ring with that 5% off? I saw it happen a few times, even in very 'snobbish' jewelry shops. But I don't live in the US so I don't know if it is common there.

I also suggest you to go for a cheaper ring if possible...that is, if you find another you like.

Maybe you can talk the jeweler down on the price, especially if he's paying cash. Money talks. It's worth a try!

Maybe you can talk the jeweler down on the price,

that's what I was trying to say when I wrote

Any chances of the jewelry shop owner offering to sell you the ring with that 5% off?
. :o

(darn my english!)

While trying this, don't let him/her know it's your dream ring.

Just try to sound like you are still undecided. ;)

On a side note, Tiki, nice ass! :bunny:

Thanks pyra! And no, your English is not crummy, I must've overlooked your comment. Your english is probably better than mine! :)

Sundaymorning

honestly, if I wanted it that bad, i would pay the 5% extra. i mean, so what, noone has to know. and if oyu feel bad that youhave to pay for some, then something isnt right.