Staying out of spouse family drama

Does anyone else get bothered when your spouse is targeted and treated badly be relatives or is it just me? I feel like my spouse is an extension of me and when he is accused or talked down to, I feel like it is being done to me or a reflection on me, his spouse. Years ago, I tried to help my husband stand up to his family for treating him badly. It hadn't gone too well. I felt like they started to dislike me because of it. I thought I was doing the right thing, but I felt like I made things worse between him and his family. So, from now on, I try my best to separate myself emotionally from those situations and let him talk to and deal with his relatives his own way and focus on my own priorities. I feel like we're both treated differently than the rest of his relatives because of whatever issues they have with him. Some issues, they may be right to be upset about with him, because I often have similar issues. Last night, I was working on a final that was due and very upset that his relatives were calling and criticizing his lifestyle and things that have nothing to do with them. My husband and I already have our own issues, but I cannot stand his family drama anymore. Everything added up together makes me want to divorce. I don't want to mother him, yet I don't want to be with someone who cannot stand up for themselves and feel as if he has to justify everything he does. I try to tell him he doesn't have to justify a thing to them, but he doesn't listen. It's been like this the 7 years we've been together and I want out.

Edited by setsenia