Selecting a marriage counselor?

midwestconfusion

Could anyone give me some suggestions as to where to start? I've sought personal mental health and rehabilitation counselors before, but I have no idea how I'd select a marriage counselor. Any ideas?

HokeyReligions

check the <removed> website. They have some good tips about selecting a counselor.

We've been through several. We actually list our criteria and our goals and we 'interview' the counselor first to find out more about them. We've had some whose agenda was too different from ours and it seemed like their goals were different. We have one now that is more supportive and flexible and willing to look outside his own comfort zone for ways to help us.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi7100_counselor.html

Here is a link to an article about finding a counselor.

Once you get to the point of meeting them (do meet several!) it's important to find someone with whom you get on. Degree of empathy is the biggest factor in maximising the effectiveness of counselling and this is much more likely if you can relate well to each other.

Other than that, as Hokey says, flexibility is important. Someone who is able to use a variety of approaches is more likely to find ones that suit you and your circumstances. Good luck!

• Author
midwestconfusion

Well, according to that particular article there's good news and bad news. Good news is that my HMO insurance would more than likely cover the expense because I have a long standing diagnoses with mental illness. But the bad news is that we'll probably have to wait a while to get in to see anyone because I live in a rural area with a severe shortage of counselors. *sigh*

At least it's a start. Thanks!