Seperate Vacations - time apart

I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on this subject. I have my own feelings about it, but just thought it would make an interesting topic.

In a few days I'm going on a cruise with my sisters. We are going as part of a group that is made up of mothers and wives, husbands and children aren't allowed to come. I'm really excited about the trip. I've only ever been away from my family, leaving H in charge, twice, once to give birth to the second child, and then to go to my grandfather's funeral (2 nights away). So this is the longest I've been gone from home. I've been apart from the kids longer when they have stayed with the grandparents for a couple of weeks during two different summers. I've been apart from H during deployments and short tdys, schooling etc. But never been fully on my own for pleasure. I'm giddy at the idea of being responsible for no one but myself. I only am packing for myself.

If this is something we really enjoy, we have talked about making it or trying to make it a yearly thing. Maybe not a cruise each time, but a trip with just us sisters. Maybe toss in another cousin or two who have also expressed interest in going too.

Now I think its very healthy for a marriage for there to be time apart. I think its good for H to be responsible without me for everything. Give him an idea of what I go through every day, even though he's taking time off from work while I'm gone, and I'm making lots of food today and tomorrow to help feed them while I'm gone, so it won't quite be the same.

But I think time apart is good. It gives the other person a chance to miss you, and learn to appreciate all that they do when they are here that you might take for granted. Missing the body in bed, the faint snoring, not to mention other things. Another adult to toss things around with if there is a problem, or to give a break if things are going rough.

What do y'all think?

CCL

I think it sounds like a fine idea. I must admit that it is always fun to see my GF after she has been out of town for work or to see her family. Maybe if it's the only trip of the year it might not be such a good idea, but a quick weekend seems pretty reasonable to me. Gives people time to catch up.