How exactly does gay marriage negatively affect traditional marriage?

Cherry Blossom 35

So for all of you who believe so fervently that gays should not marry....how exactly would gay marriage negatively impact traditional marriage?

That is your concern, right?

How would gay marriage cause straight marriages to lose value?

well see, its sort of complex. i'll try to summarize and of course this is just me opinion...

"traditional" marriage is an institution where a hetero couple unites with teh primary goal of procreation and therefore raising the kids in a good and stable home. without "traditional" marriage many homosexual people would not exist, innit?

"gay" marriage is an instituiton where two people of the same sex can unite but not have their own kids, ergo they cannot procreate and therefore keep the human race going.

so basically, the two are not fully equal. one does not impinge on the other except for the ability to have offspring part. and that is an important piece of the puzzle.

its ironic that gay people owe their lives to heteros

I don't think it affects traditional marriage at all, aside from the issue of the wedding cake. LOL

I don't think it affects traditional marriage at all, aside from the issue of the wedding cake. LOL

what do you mean?

what do you mean?

Watch them swoon over the size and texture in their queer-eye vernacular.

How would polygamy cause 1 on 1 marriages to lose value?

because wife #1 would be constantly fighting with wife #2 and wife #3 and vice versa. it would be an eternal cat-fight...

Do these people have to be having sex to get married? How about a group of friends just get married? Or 2 buddies for tax benefits? Or 2 women who date men? Does it matter?

• Author
Cherry Blossom 35

"gay" marriage is an instituiton where two people of the same sex can unite but not have their own kids, ergo they cannot procreate and therefore keep the human race going.

so basically, the two are not fully equal. one does not impinge on the other except for the ability to have offspring part. and that is an important piece of the puzzle.

And how many gay couples adopt children who would otherwise be wards of the state?

I know a number of gay couples who have adopted children without parents and are providing them with love and stable family, not to mention opportunities they would never have as wards of the state.

Have you ever known kids who live in orphanages? It is a very sad state of affairs. Is it better to have two gay. loving parents who are willing to provide a loving home and money for college, or the state which turns them loose at 18, with nothing but the clothes on their backs?

And how many gay couples adopt children who would otherwise be wards of the state?

i don't know

• Author
Cherry Blossom 35
i don't know

Something to look at, huh?

I know a numbger of gay couples who have adopted kids who were given up by their straight parents because they could not take care of them.

I know a lesbian couple who adopted a little girl from an orphanage. They are the manliest women I know. Funny thing is, their little girl is very feminine. She refuses to wear pants and carries barbies wherever she goes :)

Trialbyfire

To use another member's illogical usage of statistics to back up bigotry, statistically speaking, how many gay divorces exist? None, therefore, allowing gay marriage would reinforce the institution of traditional marriage! :laugh:

Funny thing is, their little girl is very feminine. She refuses to wear pants and carries barbies wherever she goes :)

boy, i wonder why?

• Author
Cherry Blossom 35
boy, i wonder why?

Because people will be who they are, whether you like it or not.

statistically speaking, how many gay divorces exist?

at this point, zero. But that doesn't mean they're not being sought:

pioneering gay married couple seeking divorce

back to the original question, hwo does gay marriage negatively affect traditional marriage? I've said it before, and I'll say it again: People who claim there should be such a thing as gay "marriage" are trying to equate apples to oranges. While both kinds of relationships have a common characteristics, they are not alike.

this isn't being prejudiced, this is being realistic. Homosexual couples face issues that heterosexual couples cannot even begin to comprehend ... yet y'all want to put them on equal footing. Frankly, I see that as a direct slap in the face to gays, because you're ignoring the uniqueness of their situation and relationship.

does that make me a bigot? No, it doesn't, just someone who is looking at things from a different perspective than to jump on the politically correct band wagon that suggests to even *think* otherwise is to be mean and heartless.

yes, issues of legal benefits of partnerships need to be addressed for gays ... as much as making it that much harder for hetero couples to get married to combat the problem of multiple marriages.

It doesn't affect marriage in any negative way whatsoever.

No, objectively and unemotionally speaking, it doesn't affect traditional marriage in any way except in the minds of those people who think it does. Heterosexual couples will continue to marry, procreate and then, very likely, half of them, according to current statistics, will divorce.

Society is not yet ready to accept gay marriages much like it wasn't ready to accept interracial marriages fifty years ago. In the foreseeable future, I think gay couples wll be integrated into society and people will accept this new alternative form of union. Of course, not all people will, just as today, there are still people who are fervently against mixed marriages.

Gay marriages will however provide a new model for young adults. It will provide them with yet another family model to choose from. How this will affect society as a whole depends on society itself I think.

Also, I don't know if legalizing gay marriages will influence children to choose one model of marriage over another. Personally, I think that children with heterosexual leanings will continue to marry people of the opposite sex while children with homosexual tendencies will be able to openly unite with members of their own sex without feeling marginalized, looked down upon and guilty for their choice.

RecordProducer
I'll tell you exactly how: when gay marriages prove to be happier and last longer (because both partners are from Mars or Venus), gay people will start pointing fingers at and discriminating againts heterosexuals. :laugh:

They will be devastated when their child tells them "Dad... I have to confess something... :eek: I am heterosexual..." Dad and Dad will say "What?! You want to marry a woman and ruin your life? I'm calling your Mom and step-mom right away to tell them about this!" :mad:

:D

No, objectively and unemotionally speaking, it doesn't affect traditional marriage in any way except in the minds of those people who think it does. Heterosexual couples will continue to marry, procreate and then, very likely, half of them, according to current statistics, will divorce.

According to homophobics, gay people are bad because they influence children to become gay. And they shouldn't become gay because... they will influence other children to become gay. When I was a kid, I thought that math only exists to be taught at school and had no other application on earth. :laugh:

1. Gay life is miserable because gays face discrimination

2. The reason why gays face discrimination: refer to #1.

You want to know why this is a slippery slope? Here is why.

Many of you that are "pro gay marriage" are ASSUMING it will entail 2 people in love of the same sex, who just want their rights. Similar to heterosexual love.

Traditional marriage reasons are set up to protect family, children, and usually women whom are vulnerable during child birth. And yes, people who will never have kids also get married, but to be honest there really is not much of a need for people such as 2 senior citizens to marry, etc.

In a short period of time we have went from no sex before marriage to people just having FWB's and pre-marital sex, lovers, etc. So what is to prevent friends from just marrying friends in the future? If 2 people are not having sex, can they also be married? Would that lower the institution if they were just friends, but marrying for benefits?

An example would be 2 single moms who give up on dating, but collect child support.So they combines resources and still have sex with guys on the side. Or 2 guys whom lead straight lives but do not want the hassle of worrying about divorcing a woman who might take their money. So they marry for tax breaks,maybe adopt kids or have one through a female carrier, pool money, buy homes, land, cars, travel, etc. Men and women would no longer need each other except for just sex.

Once again, in nations like Sweden where gay marriage has been legal for 2 decades only 2 % of gays marry, and the reasons they give are for immigration, or legal benefits. Similar to my friends marrying example. They are not marrying out of "love" like you silly heteros think, as you put your hetero way of thinking onto them.

They are not marrying out of "love" like you silly heteros think, as you put your hetero way of thinking onto them.

I would assume they marry for the very same assortment of reasons that heteros do: love, money,security, convenience, companionship, loneliness, tax benefits, green cards etc....

You are the "silly" one if you thinks that all heteros marry out of love.

Ok marlena, so can friend marry friends? Would that lower marriage? We know not all marriages have sex.. So I guess that would be acceptable as well? Would that lower the meaning of marriage?

And the benefits you listed are side benefits for heteros to marry, not the main reason..

Ok marlena, so can friend marry friends? Would that lower marriage? We know not all marriages have sex.. So I guess that would be acceptable as well? Would that lower the meaning of marriage?

Sure, why not? People do it all the time. Like I said, love is not the only incentive for marriage. Besides, after a few years, that's what many couples become - just friends.

No Marlena, I mean friends of the same sex.. You and a girlfriend. Just marrying for benefits, but attracted to men.

And why would I marry? Only if I wanted to ideally spends the rest of my life with that one woman. That is why I, and I believe most heteros go into it.

I would not list the reasons as a sham green card marriage, or to pay lower taxes, lol.

Well legally- a male and female that are just friends CAN get married.

Also, many hetero married couples have sex with others on the side... you see it on these boards every day.