Dividing Up the Holidays

My boyfriend and I moved in together after Thanksgiving, but we each spent Christmas separately this year at our respective families' houses, and not one moment with each other yesterday. Now, in order to avoid this awkward situation in the future, my boyfriend, over one of many of our phone calls back and forth, suggested that we spend one holiday at one families' house, and one at another families. Does this make sense? How do those of you who are in cohabitation or marriage divvy up your holidays to make sure that everyone gets to spend time together?

We spend one Thanksgiving at her family's, and the next at mine.

Christmas isn't such a problem, because hers celebrates on Christmas Eve and mine on Christmas Day.

I think what you're suggesting is VERY common, though. The other solution I've seen is to spend half of Christmas Day with one family and the other half with the other.

Same as in my family - one year we are all together for Thanksgiving then my sisters spend Christmas with their in-laws; the next year we are together for Christmas; they are with in-laws for Thanksgiving.

Why not do Thanksgiving one year at one family's place. Then do Xmas Eve at the person who you had Thanksgiving with, then do Xmas morning and dinner at the other person's family. Then, next year, switch it up.

Not sure where you live, but in Canada, Thanksgiving is always Sunday into Monday, so most I know do one family on Sunday, and the other family on Monday.