Strange feelings about wife's work colleagues strange behavior. What do you think?

whatiswrong

Hello,

I found these forms while browsing the net for info on possible infidelity. I've been married for quite some time and I love my wife very much. I consider us very much in love and we (as a rule) have great communication.

The reason I am writing this (and opening up to strangers) is to try to find some advice on what to do in my marriage. I've been having your typical symptoms regarding my wife: bad gut feelings, awkward stories that don't always make sense and very weird behavior where she doesn't always act like herself (i.e. sometimes stiff or careful, really hard to pin this down really).

We've talked about things and she claims its stress from work, and I have been very open to this being the case (hey, work can stress me too).

But, my wife knows these two young woman (mid 20s or so) from work that were always friendlily to us. These two women are a couple (gay) but they are the nicest people you could ever know, and we found out recently that they were moving into our apartment complex. They moved into our complex about a month ago and they were very talkative to us. Friendly, the whole thing -- but recently they've stopped talking to us completely. It doesn't seem like much really, but when I (Especially) say 'Hi' in passing or whatnot, they give me stares that could burrow a hole in me. They don't acknowledge my wife either, so it is really bothering me. My wife has never paid them a visit, etc., so I seriously doubt anything went on if you know what I mean.

I'm getting the impression that something might have happened at work regarding my wife, and they might be distancing themselves from me (especially) to avoid getting involved. I have nothing to go by evidence wise except for the strange distance they placed between my wife and me.

I've been researching guides to help ease my suspicions, and noticed (just today in one guide) that some friends / acquaintances will distance themselves from the spouse's mate when they discover something.

How should I approach these acquaintances of my wife? Should I even approach them about their sudden anti-social nature? What would I say even if I did? Just wanted some insight here.... who knows, maybe I'm just nuts (which would be better than my gut being true).

• Author
whatiswrong

Wow.. don't trip over each other while trying to respond.

I guess there are more pressing concerns being posted like 'Are you marriage material' and "Could you be married to yourself"? lol

After browsing the forms, I noticed that unless you've been cheated on or are a cheater, no one has enough time in their drama schedule to respond. Just wanted some advice so I wouldn't cause trouble, but whatever.... glad I didn't become a premium member.

My guess is that something happened at work, but based on that you said, you'd be jumping to a conclusion to assume your wife is having an affair. There a a hundred other things it could be.

You should start by telling your wife about the change in these women's behavoir toward you, and ask if anything happened at work to cause them to become cold to the two of you.

Your wife says she is under a lot of stress from work? are the two of you talking about what has her so stressed? let her know that you think she is acting strange and you want to help. If she is evasive that would be a warning sign. If she gets angry at your probing that would bea big red flag. You might approach the two woman and ask them why they are being cold toward you. Ask something like if you did something to offend them then you would like to appologize for whatever it was you did.

That might break the ice with them.

There are so many possibilities here.

Your wife hit on one or the other of that lesbian couple .

One of the ladies or both might have hit on your wife and she rejected that advance.

They might be resentful that your wife is having an affair with a male boss. they see her as getting favored treatment that they will never get.

your wife and the couple are on opposite sides of some major office politics that could result in layoff demotions or something else depending on what side wins the battle.

my vote goes with Topper's last suggestion, that there's some kind of office politics going on and your wife is caught up in the crossfire of it, thus the unfriendly behavior by formerly friendly people.

other thought is that it could involve an interpersonal relationship your wife had with someone at work, and they caught wind of it and disapprove. Or that there are rumors going around her office that reflect badly on you and your wife, hence the cold stares.

mind you, this is all just conjecture – your best bet is to ask these women why they are treating you so coldly and find out if you've inadvertantly done something to upset them. You can also mention that your wife seems stressed out from work, is there anything they could suggest that you could help her out. You might not get immediate answers, but you'll at least get the lines of communication going.

• Author
whatiswrong

Thank you all that responded... I was starting to think that what I wrote sounded stupid or seemed crazy.

To answer the questions asked: I have spoken to my wife about the stresses in her job, and she feels her job is a dead-end. I am being very supportive about her finding a new job, but so far she has been turned down by other firms. I'm still giving her encouragement to continue looking.

I told my wife about the female couple from her job and how they have been acting towards me. My wife’s explanation took me by surprise… she (my wife) feels that they (the female couple) may be jealous of our marriage.

I’m the type of old-fashion guy that still opens doors for my wife, and my wife thinks (As well) the female couple sees these acts and this could be another reason why they are acting this way towards me. Apparently before getting together, this female couple had male partners that really hurt them.

I haven’t seen this female couple in a couple of days, but I will definitely approach them when I can and post the happenings here.

I dunno... I think it would be totally weird for you to confront (or approach, or whatever) the couple in your building. You are not close friends, and they are your wife's colleagues. If a neighbor I didn't know well suddenly wanted to know what I thought of them or asked me about my behavior, I would be taken aback, consider it personal, and probably get defensive. It just seems really awkward. IMHO.

You said you've been married for a long time, and you know your wife. We all go through phases; if she's acting a bit odd, it seems like you are doing theright thing: watching and waiting, keeping the lines of communication open, not jumping to conclusions and getting all dramatic...

• Author
whatiswrong

Just an update for those remotely interested...

I've been doing my own investigating regarding my wife's recent behavior and I wanted to post them here. I'm in the mindset that what I find can be easily explained, but I am explaining it here for insight since most people here have been through infidelity in one form or another.

The other day while giving my wife a backrub, I noticed two small, round bruises on the upper back of her left arm (close to the shoulder). They look almost circular in nature. When I approached my wife about the bruises, she said it probably happened while we were being intimate. Thing is, I never grab her arms in that way.

While holding her hand, I gently played with her wedding rings and noticed there wasn't a tan line... at all. I have a tan line under my wedding ring (I even checked). Now, my wife doesn't tan easy, but on her opposite hand she has a tan line from some other ring she has been wearing for years (its some cheap ring she bought before we met). Her wedding band / engagement ring fit loosely, so this could be why the ring didn't create a tan line. I realize I am making excuses here....

My findings so far are making me feel a bit nervous, but I have no evidence to substantiate my claims so its not like I can say anything.

Any advice / suggestions on what to do next?

Just an update for those remotely interested...

I've been doing my own investigating regarding my wife's recent behavior and I wanted to post them here. I'm in the mindset that what I find can be easily explained, but I am explaining it here for insight since most people here have been through infidelity in one form or another.

The other day while giving my wife a backrub, I noticed two small, round bruises on the upper back of her left arm (close to the shoulder). They look almost circular in nature. When I approached my wife about the bruises, she said it probably happened while we were being intimate. Thing is, I never grab her arms in that way.

While holding her hand, I gently played with her wedding rings and noticed there wasn't a tan line... at all. I have a tan line under my wedding ring (I even checked). Now, my wife doesn't tan easy, but on her opposite hand she has a tan line from some other ring she has been wearing for years (its some cheap ring she bought before we met). Her wedding band / engagement ring fit loosely, so this could be why the ring didn't create a tan line. I realize I am making excuses here....

My findings so far are making me feel a bit nervous, but I have no evidence to substantiate my claims so its not like I can say anything.

Any advice / suggestions on what to do next?

...if you go looking for trouble you're sure to find it. I've been wearing my wedding band non-stop for the past 11 years and have barely a tan line, which is more pronounced in the summer than the rest of the year.

Do you want to discover that your wife is having an affair or do you want to drive her to it with your suspicions?

If she is, it will likely come out at some point in time. Google the signs of an affair. There are a number of lists but don't let your imagination run wild.

If you have such distrust of your wife then whether or not she's having an affair is almost less important than the fact that you don't really trust her. Without trust a marriage cannot survive, and shouldn't.

Very odd situation whatiswrong, it sounds a little surreal, am sure it must seem that way from where you are sitting!

So your wife can't come up with any kind of decent explanation as to why your new neighbours are behaving strangely towards you?

Maybe you should suggest you invite them for dinner, seeing as they are new to the building and you are already aquaintances.

• Author
whatiswrong
...if you go looking for trouble you're sure to find it. I've been wearing my wedding band non-stop for the past 11 years and have barely a tan line, which is more pronounced in the summer than the rest of the year.

Do you want to discover that your wife is having an affair or do you want to drive her to it with your suspicions?

If she is, it will likely come out at some point in time. Google the signs of an affair. There are a number of lists but don't let your imagination run wild.

If you have such distrust of your wife then whether or not she's having an affair is almost less important than the fact that you don't really trust her. Without trust a marriage cannot survive, and shouldn't.

I don’t understand… so by your account I shouldn’t investigate my wife’s suspicious nature? Yet in the next sentence you’re telling me to brush up on infidelity material, but not allowing my imagination to run wild with it… Seems a bit double-standard really. I'm just keeping my eyes open and saying very little.

If someone you love leads you to suspicious thoughts then something is certainly wrong I would imagine. Horrible argument btw; if confirming that my wife is being faithful to me makes her cheat, then for God’s sake – she didn’t love me in the first place did she? Any loving spouse in this situation (who isn’t being unfaithful to the other) would realize that the other half is just trying to preserve the marriage and nothing else. Read my posts please…. I’m in this with an open mind and I am just watching… and watching… and looking for sound advice like one poster pointed out.

Its really difficult to give you any sound advice because for now, you don't have any concrete affirmations as to what exactly is going on.

Its all speculation at this stage.

But Curmudgeon is right, there is suspicion there, and trust is deteriorating.

Maybe you could just confront your wife with that fact.... you feel uneasy, you feel that there is something going on that you don't know about, and you would like it if she respected your feelings and came clean about anything she may be hiding from you.

However, this is not going to go down well if she isn't hiding anything from you.

whichwayisup

Install a keylogger on her computer, see what you find, then take it from there. Or, if you can afford it, hire a PI, you'll get the answers you're looking for that way as well.

OR, just tell her you've noticed a change in her behaviour and ask if everything is okay. Watch for her reaction - body language, eyes, the way she talks. You know her well, so hopefully you'll be able to tell if she's lying to you, or hiding something. Don't accuse her of having an affair, just say you've felt her distance emotionally.

I don’t understand… so by your account I shouldn’t investigate my wife’s suspicious nature? Yet in the next sentence you’re telling me to brush up on infidelity material, but not allowing my imagination to run wild with it… Seems a bit double-standard really. I'm just keeping my eyes open and saying very little.

The main point was your imagination. Right now you're actively looking for signs of infidelity which means you could have a tendency to attribute almost anything she says and does to it.

By the way, it's your suspicious nature at play here, not hers.

Darth Vader

I told my wife about the female couple from her job and how they have been acting towards me. My wife’s explanation took me by surprise… she (my wife) feels that they (the female couple) may be jealous of our marriage.

I haven’t seen this female couple in a couple of days, but I will definitely approach them when I can and post the happenings here.

Ok, first off, what the wife told you is a Bullcrap answer, these women KNOW something, I highly advise that you have a discrete chat with them both, perhaps you could meet them somewhere public. Tell them what you are suspecting, and ask them if anything has been going on at work, or whatever, don't accuse them or your wife, but, just say to them that you have your reasons of feeling like there's something going on. Does she wear sexy clothing to work, different underwear that she never wore for you, ect.? It's been posted here before, Trust your Gut! You're not crazy, oh, and install that keylogger, do you have access to her cell phone? Check it out!

• Author
whatiswrong
Ok, first off, what the wife told you is a Bullcrap answer, these women KNOW something, I highly advise that you have a discrete chat with them both, perhaps you could meet them somewhere public. Tell them what you are suspecting, and ask them if anything has been going on at work, or whatever, don't accuse them or your wife, but, just say to them that you have your reasons of feeling like there's something going on. Does she wear sexy clothing to work, different underwear that she never wore for you, ect.? It's been posted here before, Trust your Gut! You're not crazy, oh, and install that keylogger, do you have access to her cell phone? Check it out!

Hello Darth (and to everyone who has responded),

I've been trying to find the appropriate time to speak to the female couple, but the right opportunity hasn't come my way yet. My biggest concern is causing trouble / rumors for my wife at work. I don't know this female couple well enough to fully trust them.

Have I seen changes in my wife's wardrobe when going to work? Well, on a few occasions, my wife has come home with her bra partly unlatched when I knew it wasn't that way when she left for work in the morning. She also came home from a 'meeting' once and it was the same thing with her bra.. it was unlatched. I saw her get dressed that morning and her bra wasn't like that.

I guess the bra incident can be taken either way I suppose.

There was a time when my wife was coming home with bruises and scratches on her body. When I finally said something to her about the bruises and scratches, it stopped (i.e. meaning new bruises / scratches stopped appearing). This was before I suspected anything and at the time I thought someone was abusing my wife. I asked my wife if something was wrong at work and she said everything was fine....

In my opinion I think you are fishing and not catching anything that can be considered a keeper.

The lesbian couple are giving you the cold shoulder? To be honest I have not met a lesbian woman who has not given me the cold shoulder. For the most part lesbians think of men as worthless souls only good for.... absolutely nothing!

The bra clasp undone? My wife damn near has her bra undone as she pulls into the drive way. They are an uncomfortable necessity and that is me a man telling you this. They certainly do not wear them for pleasure!

Bruises and scratches? Think about it man.. How often have you gotten a scratch or bruise innocently?

The tan line on her ring finger?!?! Are you serious?!?!

I am going to look at this a little differently here and I by no means know if your wife is cheating on you, just like you don't know. I will say this though and I got this impression of you from your first response to your own thread. I sense some self esteem issues... You lack trust in my opinion because of what you have shared here. I see nothing from what you have told and that is coming from me a man who has been known to suspect everything.

I mean unless there is something you have not shared, unlike the other posters here I see nothing.

I don't know man... I just do not see it...

• Author
whatiswrong
In my opinion I think you are fishing and not catching anything that can be considered a keeper.

The lesbian couple are giving you the cold shoulder? To be honest I have not met a lesbian woman who has not given me the cold shoulder. For the most part lesbians think of men as worthless souls only good for.... absolutely nothing!

The bra clasp undone? My wife damn near has her bra undone as she pulls into the drive way. They are an uncomfortable necessity and that is me a man telling you this. They certainly do not wear them for pleasure!

Bruises and scratches? Think about it man.. How often have you gotten a scratch or bruise innocently?

The tan line on her ring finger?!?! Are you serious?!?!

I am going to look at this a little differently here and I by no means know if your wife is cheating on you, just like you don't know. I will say this though and I got this impression of you from your first response to your own thread. I sense some self esteem issues... You lack trust in my opinion because of what you have shared here. I see nothing from what you have told and that is coming from me a man who has been known to suspect everything.

I mean unless there is something you have not shared, unlike the other posters here I see nothing.

I don't know man... I just do not see it...

I would like to challenge your post if I may.

First, about the lesbian couple: your point would be valid if their behavior was 'cold' from the beginning. They were friendly and even seeking me out for conversation in the beginning, so your point (though valid overall about lesbians) doesn't really apply to my situation.

Innocent bruises and scratches... please forgive me for not elaborating on this in my last post, but these bruises would appear on her inner thighs (sometimes on both sides), under her breasts, around her neck, by her armpits, the back of her arms, and long (and I mean loooooooooong, multiple) scratches would be in the middle of her back which I know wasn’t caused by me (I am not rough when we are intimate). Sometimes all of the above would appear at once on my wife or sometimes only a few of the above would, if I am making any sense. I can see an innocent bump / bruise on the arm, leg, etc., because **** happens, but her inner thighs (both sides?), under her breasts (both of them), etc.?

I was very general about the bra statement and specifically mentioned that it could be anything; just trying to draw some line to get my head on straight about the things happening in my marriage.

Any lack of esteem you may be feeling from my 'posts' could be my reluctance to believe that posting here was a good idea on my part.

• Author
whatiswrong

Either way... maybe I should have written my post differently. Being my first time here first time writing about this sorta thing, I had no idea what to write exactly.

Any lack of esteem you may be feeling from my 'posts' could be my reluctance to believe that posting here was a good idea on my part.

This statement right here proves my point. It seems as though you are quick to feel betrayed. Your first response in this thread you were getting upset at those here for not responding quickly enough.

Like I said... Is your wife cheating on you? Maybe she is, maybe she isn't, but from what you have shared I would say she isn't.

I understand the duress all this is causing you. Trust me I do. I am in no way saying to turn a blind eye. I just do not think you have anything to go on as of yet.

With office gossip being what it is amongst women... who knows maybe your wife made a comment to another coworker and the lesbian girl found out... Maybe your wife is not paying them back soda money at work... It could be anything...

Is your wife being distant?

Is she not coming home at normal hours?

Is she spending the night out?

Suddenly does not want to have sex with you?

Talking about another man a lot? Or... I guess perhaps another woman, I guess.

If she has you have not mentioned it yet?

This statement right here proves my point. It seems as though you are quick to feel betrayed. Your first response in this thread you were getting upset at those here for not responding quickly enough.

Like I said... Is your wife cheating on you? Maybe she is, maybe she isn't, but from what you have shared I would say she isn't.

I understand the duress all this is causing you. Trust me I do. I am in no way saying to turn a blind eye. I just do not think you have anything to go on as of yet.

With office gossip being what it is amongst women... who knows maybe your wife made a comment to another coworker and the lesbian girl found out... Maybe your wife is not paying them back soda money at work... It could be anything...

Is your wife being distant?

Is she not coming home at normal hours?

Is she spending the night out?

Suddenly does not want to have sex with you?

Talking about another man a lot? Or... I guess perhaps another woman, I guess.

If she has you have not mentioned it yet?

I've overlooked this thread long enough. Whatiswrong, I can understand the problem you're having. The purpose of anyone coming here is to get answers to help ease your anxiety and suspicions and so far you're not getting anything. dbtmarley, it's painfully obvious that you really haven't read through the posts very well. Whatiswrong has clearly stated in his initial posts that he has no hard evidence to substantiate his suspicions, but would like some feedback on how is feeling so he doesn't make the wrong decisions.

You also ask Whatiswrong if he has any evidence of his suspicions and he did post something right above us; read here:

Innocent bruises and scratches... please forgive me for not elaborating on this in my last post, but these bruises would appear on her inner thighs (sometimes on both sides), under her breasts, around her neck, by her armpits, the back of her arms, and long (and I mean loooooooooong, multiple) scratches would be in the middle of her back which I know wasn’t caused by me (I am not rough when we are intimate). Sometimes all of the above would appear at once on my wife or sometimes only a few of the above would, if I am making any sense. I can see an innocent bump / bruise on the arm, leg, etc., because **** happens, but her inner thighs (both sides?), under her breasts (both of them), etc.?

So by your account DB, there is no reason for alarm if someone's wife were to come home from work covered in scratches and bruises, especially in intimate areas like her inner thighs? Wow, that's quite the innocent accident if I do say so myself. So unless she's a wrestler, or working with Hulk Hogan, this shouldn't be happening in your everyday work environment unless SOMETHING is going on, which it might be. Not saying something is, but its always possible you know?

I realize you're trying to be objective with your opinions, but trying to discredit the guy because he complained about no one responding to his thread is way off base, and hardly a lack of self-esteem. The guy is worried and upset, and if you read his post he states he isn't accusing his wife of anything, but quietly watching while posting here for advice so he DOESN'T screw up.

Why does his wife have to mention names or people to be cheating? Read my thread... my wife never spoke a word about the other man (not even his name) and I caught her cheating.

I can feel for you Whatiswrong. My life with my wife is pretty similar to yours in some ways, and it’s still a work in progress. Just keep an open eye and keep us posted.

I've overlooked this thread long enough. Whatiswrong, I can understand the problem you're having. The purpose of anyone coming here is to get answers to help ease your anxiety and suspicions and so far you're not getting anything. dbtmarley, it's painfully obvious that you really haven't read through the posts very well. Whatiswrong has clearly stated in his initial posts that he has no hard evidence to substantiate his suspicions, but would like some feedback on how is feeling so he doesn't make the wrong decisions.

You also ask Whatiswrong if he has any evidence of his suspicions and he did post something right above us; read here:

So by your account DB, there is no reason for alarm if someone's wife were to come home from work covered in scratches and bruises, especially in intimate areas like her inner thighs? Wow, that's quite the innocent accident if I do say so myself. So unless she's a wrestler, or working with Hulk Hogan, this shouldn't be happening in your everyday work environment unless SOMETHING is going on, which it might be. Not saying something is, but its always possible you know?

I realize you're trying to be objective with your opinions, but trying to discredit the guy because he complained about no one responding to his thread is way off base, and hardly a lack of self-esteem. The guy is worried and upset, and if you read his post he states he isn't accusing his wife of anything, but quietly watching while posting here for advice so he DOESN'T screw up.

Why does his wife have to mention names or people to be cheating? Read my thread... my wife never spoke a word about the other man (not even his name) and I caught her cheating.

I can feel for you Whatiswrong. My life with my wife is pretty similar to yours in some ways, and it’s still a work in progress. Just keep an open eye and keep us posted.

Your wife and you are your situation, just as mine is. He has not given me anything other than tan lines to justify thoughts of her cheating... He also says nothing of lack of intimacy or sex. For me to project my experience or past experience and any insecurities that go along with them would be just wrong. Your wife cheated on you that is your situation and trust it is a situation I know all to well through experience, but I cannot rightfully tell this man his wife is cheating on the info given. It's just adding fuel to his fire. My opinion.

You also state he asked for advice. Even though it opposes your opinion that is what I gave him.

And another thing... Telling him I sensed something else is not tearing him down. If he is going solely by what he presented then I still think he needs more to start confronting her.

Whatiswrong,

Listen, my apologies. It was not my intention to attack you, just give you my opinion. I hope everything works out for you.

Darth Vader
I would like to challenge your post if I may.

First, about the lesbian couple: your point would be valid if their behavior was 'cold' from the beginning. They were friendly and even seeking me out for conversation in the beginning, so your point (though valid overall about lesbians) doesn't really apply to my situation.

I was very general about the bra statement and specifically mentioned that it could be anything; just trying to draw some line to get my head on straight about the things happening in my marriage.

Apparently she is having rough sex, but , not with you! I suggest that if you can afford it, hire a PI, in the very least, install a good keylogger. I could be wrong, but, it sounds like she's riding someone, possibly from work.

• Author
whatiswrong
Your wife and you are your situation, just as mine is. He has not given me anything other than tan lines to justify thoughts of her cheating... He also says nothing of lack of intimacy or sex. For me to project my experience or past experience and any insecurities that go along with them would be just wrong. Your wife cheated on you that is your situation and trust it is a situation I know all to well through experience, but I cannot rightfully tell this man his wife is cheating on the info given. It's just adding fuel to his fire. My opinion.

You also state he asked for advice. Even though it opposes your opinion that is what I gave him.

And another thing... Telling him I sensed something else is not tearing him down. If he is going solely by what he presented then I still think he needs more to start confronting her.

Whatiswrong,

Listen, my apologies. It was not my intention to attack you, just give you my opinion. I hope everything works out for you.

No offense was taken on my part DB so it’s all good as far as I am concerned.

To speak on your points (and even Jay's -- thanks for responding btw) life with my other half has been riddled with stressful situations. To answer your questions DB, my wife has been acting distant lately. There was a time when she would call and e-mail her friends too, and spend time on the computer reading fan fiction about her favorite (albeit now defunct) TV shows.

Before my wife wrecked the second car last year, her work schedule didn't make too much sense. She would arrive home late from work (sometimes an hour or more) before finally arriving more. During this time our sex life was more active and sometimes topping 2-3 times a day. Since I have to drive her back and forth to work because we lost the second car, everything involving her work schedule is more static and the erratic schedule she once kept is gone. Our sex life is still on a daily basis, but not like it was before when she had her own set of wheels.

Last year at this time (right before she crashed the second car) we were getting strange hang-up calls at home. She was also talking about a male co-worker a lot who she claimed was gay. She hasn't talked about this co-worker in quite some time, so who knows.

BTW: The weird bruising in strange places was occurring during the time she talked about this 'guy' co-worker and when she had her own car. That all stopped (again I must add) when she lost her car in an accident. Since then, her behavior has been borderline moody and very unpredictable. It feels like I am playing a guessing game with my wife when that shouldn't be necessary. Yes, we have sat down and talked about things, but she claims everything is fine with us, etc.