For those of you who are happily married...

.....what was your first thought when meeting your future husband/wife?

I love the way this guy smells.............:love: I was hooked.

• Author

I guess the reason I'm asking is because I believe I have this overly-romanticized fantasy of hearing harps and violins or the clouds parting when I finally meet "the one." I know this is irrational, and worries me that I might have already met several guys who could have been "the one" but didn't consider the possibility at the time because I didn't feel something powerful right from the get go...

So were your thoughts is like "CAPOW!" or is it like "hmmm...?" ??

Clown humor :

Damn.. it sure is going to feel good divorcing you one day !! :laugh:

when I was happily married and I had just meet my future wife I remember thinking.. Damn.. she is hot and what a smile..

but I didn't know she would be my wife until a good bit later on.

I knew my H before he and I got together. We weren't "into" eachother at all like that...We'd say hi once in a while but nothing out of the ordinary. Then, one day it just HIT me like a ton of bricks....So, it is possible that you are missing out on opportunities by waiting for the fireworks to hit you first.

Remember, anyone you meet that you like can have potiental to grow into something very serious, and long lasting.....

So were your thoughts is like "CAPOW!" or is it like "hmmm...?" ??

I think we almost all think about the people we are dating as prospects and wonder what they will be like to our wife or husband..

Look how many women try on a man's last name before they are even engaged..

But I don't think there is a kapow..

I remember looking at his gorgeous blue eyes and telling him, "if you ever want to make babies, I'll help." He swears he doesn't remember me saying that, but then again, he was sloshed out of his gourd.

lol, when I met my SiL for the first time in November, one of the first things out of her mouth was "I fell in love with Bob's beautiful blue eyes" – guess it must be a family trait among the men!

• Author

Remember, anyone you meet that you like can have potiental to grow into something very serious, and long lasting.....

Although I've likely missed out on some AWESOME guys, I'm hoping this is true.

I've been spending time with a friend who is amazing in every way, shape and form. I've known him for over ten years, but we weren't really ever friends until recently - similar to what you describe. We've hung out a few times just having some drinks or in a group setting - pool, bowling, something like that. No "dates." However, his friends have told me he is very much interested in pursuing something with me, which I believe because he has slowly intensified his flirting. I find myself WANTING to like him, like like-him-like-him, but I'm not quite there yet. But I am very interested...

I haven't really had the "ton of bricks" feeling, but I feel it coming on... We email a lot during the workday (just joking around, shooting the ****, etc.), and every once and a while one of his messages makes me blush, or feel tingly or something. I find myself constantly checking my inbox hoping to find a little note or something....

I'm not sure what my point is...

I guess the reason I'm asking is because I believe I have this overly-romanticized fantasy of hearing harps and violins or the clouds parting when I finally meet "the one."

an ex's mom described it as "a sure feeling," and she was right. Something about that person just feels "right," as trite as that sounds.

I find myself constantly checking my inbox hoping to find a little note or something....

I think you answered your own question in a way...

I was happily married for 20 years, so let me enter the discussion. I was initially struck by how attractive (in every sense) my wife was. I also felt "right" with her. I believed we complemented each other very nicely. See, Plato's "Symposium".

Although I don't remember orchestration, in a short while I emotionally understood that she was going to be the "one". (Actually, each person probably has about 150,000 "ones" but that's another Thread).

The love was not instantaneous, but the basic attraction was.

Best of luck with your friend. One more thing: My wife and I were very good friends before our relationship morphed to the next level. And even though we're divorced, I do not regret our decision to marry. (She might have some regrets, however.)

Now, back to billing.;)

I haven't really had the "ton of bricks" feeling, but I feel it coming on... We email a lot during the workday (just joking around, shooting the ****, etc.), and every once and a while one of his messages makes me blush, or feel tingly or something. I find myself constantly checking my inbox hoping to find a little note or something....

Give me your email address and I can hook you up throughout the day ;)

"Wow, that guy has great arms"

Its really not anything vain on my part his arms are HUGE, you cant help but notice them. He spends 2 hours at the gym every morning and has for years, it has really payed off.

When I met him he was in incredible shape because he had broken up with his ex 6 months before that so those 6 months were spent at the gym pretty much non stop.

• Author
Give me your email address and I can hook you up throughout the day ;)

I've been trying to PM you for ages... You're apparently un-PM-able.

It's okay, give it time and don't worry.

I first met my husband when we used to work together and I didn't like him that much because he always got to work late which meant I had to stay late. Also, he just looked like a troublemaker and I thought he was shady.

But he is cute, so I had a crush on him, then I got over it and then I couldn't figure out why I had a crush on him in the first place. Then I had a little crush on him again and then it developed into total infatuation and then we got together.

So I'm just saying it's not bad if it is not love at first sight. Not bad at all. It sounds like you like your guy but you want to like him more than you do right now. It very often just doesn't happen RIGHT AWAY I think.

"Gosh, he could sure use a shave"

We met at Starbucks and at first I wasn't blown away by him. We became buddies because I was going through a divorce and he'd been there too and offered a shoulder to cry on if I needed it.

When we went on our first date after alot of phone calls and emails he cooked me dinner at his house.

I walked in the house was clean and smelling good and he was standing there clean shaven in a button down shirt, jeans and timberlands. When I knocked on the door he said it was open so I came in. He met me half way into the house and laid a big old kiss on me. That was it, we've basically been together ever since.

We met in college and it was a while before we actually got together. I think we had small crushes on each other after a while but didn't act on it.

Anyway, first thought: "He seems like a lot of fun to be around. "

And he still is almost 10 years later. :cool:

SG, for what its worth, I think that sometimes the slow burners are the ones that end up being better long term relationships.

I had to realize that myself after being in a intense whirlwind relationship that had no substance versus a constant burn with me and my now-husband. It's hard not to want to get wrapped up in passion but making sure it lasts is important.

.....what was your first thought when meeting your future husband/wife?

I was married to the ex when I met my present wife. I started work at a new state agency and on my first day was taken around the headquarters to meet everyone in it (about 125 people). One of the last people I met that day was this rather exotic woman who seemed rather put out at being disturbed and looked at me like someone would look at a bug under a microscope. Suffice it to say she was less than warm, friendly or welcoming.

A little voice in my head said, "I'll fix that!" I didn't have the first idea what it meant but as the two of us developed a professional friendship over the next five years I came to realize that I was challenging myself to break through her well-deserved reputation as an Ice Woman and make her a friend.

I guess I fixed it. I asked her out two years following my divorce from the ex (for totally unrelated reasons) and we were married two months later. That was a bit over 10 years ago and we're still very much in love.