Finding a Counselor

My health insurance lists close to a thousand counselors! OKAY! It's great to have a lot of choice, but where do I even start?? I know I want someone experienced in adult child of alcoholic issues and marriage, to do some independent counseling. "Gaslighting" and "passive aggressive" very clearly define a lot of what is going on here, in addition to emotional and possibly physical affairs.

The one counselor that was highly recommended to us by our priest did NOT pan out (his solution was for me to pretend everything is okay and ignore the lies!) and another recommended by someone at al-anon is among the few NOT on our insurance. I'm deciding whether that money is better spent seeing him or stashing away in case I need to care for myself and the kids, and finding someone who is covered by our insurance.

How in the world do I narrow the field from nearly a thousand possible counselors??

and another recommended by someone at al-anon is among the few NOT on our insurance.

Is it possible to ask them for someone that they, in turn, recommend?? Someone on your list. Or is that just not the done thing.

I like pretending that eveything is okay. It works for me.