To LDR or not to LDR? Advice needed for 1st timer.

Hi guys, I am totally confused about the situation I find myself in. :confused:

I am currently on a study abroad program and have met a great guy here. We've been seriously seeing each other for about 2 months now (I've known him for about 3 months in total). He's everything I want in a guy and I know I am falling in love with him. I know he feels the same way too. The only thing is that I have to leave in a few weeks time and start a new job at home. He has to stay here for school for at least another 3 years. We live in completely parts of the world. We have been talking about a LDR. But the most we would be able to see each other is once every 8-9 months.

I am totally lost as to what to do. I know that if we break it off, I would be heartbroken. But if we don't, is it only going to lead to more heartbreak in the future? Is two months of seeing each other long enough to sustain a LDR or am I just being a hopeless romantic?? I know we are in the honeymoon stage of the relationship right now and feel like our love can move mountains but what about 9 months down the track?

The other thing is that we are both still young (under 22) and realistically, we have so much left ahead of us to experience. Shall I just take the wonderful memories and go or shall I try & hold onto a guy I absolutely adore??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

lost & confused. :love:

We've been seriously seeing each other for about 2 months now (I've known him for about 3 months in total). He's everything I want in a guy

Trust me on this: after only 2 months you can't definitively say 'he's everything I want' and you for sure don't know about all the things you maybe don't want.

The only thing is that I have to leave in a few weeks time and start a new job at home. He has to stay here for school for at least another 3 years. We live in completely parts of the world. We have been talking about a LDR. But the most we would be able to see each other is once every 8-9 months.

I am totally lost as to what to do. I know that if we break it off, I would be heartbroken. But if we don't, is it only going to lead to more heartbreak in the future? Shall I just take the wonderful memories and go or shall I try & hold onto a guy I absolutely adore??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

lost & confused. :love:

If you can bear to, take the wonderful memories and go. If you do otherwise, you'll end up wasting really important years of your life whilst you put it all on hold....and procrastinated heartbreak tends to be an awful lot more painful.

There usually is no point in being in a LDR if you both don't have a shared goal to live together (or reasonably close) one day. You two might be too young to be thinking about that, but I can't judge. The thing is, if you don't want to be with this guy for a very very long time and live together in the future, a LDR will mean lots of lonely nights, being in a bad mood while missing him all the time, your emotional side will suffer, plus the wasted time, money, effort, everything. Relationships are a lot of work to keep going, especiialy LDRs, so think about that.

I'm in a LDR which had very similar circumstances to yours, it's not easy but it's worth it. And the thing that makes it worth it is that one day you know it won't be a LDR anymore.