What does it mean when he says he wants to take it slow?

I broke up with my ex-boyfriend 3 months ago... the problem is, that he was in Iraq, but had returned to the states for a family emergency. I did everything I could to get a hold of him and was unsuccessful... but just found out that he came back. I asked him if he would take me back and that I'm sorry about everything I put him through, and that I did not mean to hurt him... I felt like he didnt want to be with me, and that is why I broke things off... and I tried to explain it to him. He was angry, and said he does not see us working out... he's in NC i'm in CA. We've been dating for over 2 years, and we had arrangements to move in together and he was telling me in letters, that he can wait to start a life with me, etc. Things were perfect. Now, he says he doesnt know what he wants... his mom died, and I'm wondering if he's mad because of loosing his mom and because he was in Iraq... I told him that a NO would be fine to hear at this point instead of an "I dont Know." He said he cant say NO because he doesnt know and that I should take it or leave it... and I said fine, I'll leave you alone and I stopped calling him. Then a couple of days later, he calls me up and asks me to come out to see him. He was cool and calm, and he said he wants me to come out to visit him, and that he wants to take things slow. I'm confused, because why would things have to go slow, it's not like I was talking about getting married... I'm not looking to get married right now...??? We live far apart anyways. Any hoot... I went out to see him, and things were perfect, he treated me like I was his girlfriend... he went to hold my hand, he wanted to snuggle and he was even calling me "dear." And again, he said he wants to take things slow. What should I do??? Does he really not want to be with me? Why does he want to take things slow?

laRubiaBonita
Why does he want to take things slow?

duhhhhhh! his mother just died....so he issoo absorbed in dealing with those feelings i am sure he has not even be able to feel much else.

let him heal, be supportive, but do not be taken for a ride and protect your interest too.