Inappropriate Text?

There's a guy I had a crush on (long distance, have yet to meet) and we'd been mutually flirty over the Summer, but he got together with another girl early this Fall. We haven't talked as much but over Christmas he texted: “Happy holidays precious little jewel.” It seemed strange considering his new relationship and I know the girl thinks he loves her. She's actually pretty obsessive over him. Was this text loaded / inappropriate or am I reading too much into it? Wondering if I should even reply.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

UltimateSoprano1

It is inappropriate and it is loaded but I don't think you're reading the right things into it. The holidays are a time that exes, lovers etc. use to make themselves visible again. He made his choice and he is simply trying to make a place in your thoughts until he's ready to make you an option again.

I do not recommend you reply but if you do, three words maximum.

, but he got together with another girl early this Fall. We haven't talked as much but over Christmas he texted: “Happy holidays precious little jewel.”
To me it seems more condescending than 'inappropriate'; and like he just wants to keep you on a string for when/if he's current choice falls off the rails.
  • Author
To me it seems more condescending than 'inappropriate'; and like he just wants to keep you on a string for when/if he's current choice falls off the rails.

Interesting insight there, I sort of got that vibe from it as well. We hadn't spoken for a month and he sent that text just hours after I decided to deactivate my Facebook profile through the holidays - almost like he noticed and fired that off to see if I'd blocked him or his number. I just found it very odd to say.

Though we've never met, behavior patterns suggest he might be a covert narcissist, so the "on a string" thing would make perfect sense. He pursued me pretty intensely until I wasn't fawning all over him and wasn't available last minute. The girl he ultimately 'chose' has certainly been responding with the adulation and lack of boundaries I could not. I'm thinking he doesn't appreciate that I took myself off his shelf.

I'm thinking he doesn't appreciate that I took myself off his shelf.
It's not that he does not 'appreciate' it, but that he does not like it. For narcissists, there is a HUGE difference between the two.

When you 'got the vibe' that he's trying to string you along, your vibe is probably right. Right?

If you haven't already blocked, unfriended and otherwise deleted and ejected him from all aspects and levels of your life...why not? What are you waiting for?

• 4 weeks later...
over Christmas he texted: “Happy holidays precious little jewel.” Was this text loaded
Not to me.

inappropriate
Not to me.

or am I reading too much into it?
Looks like it.

Wondering if I should even reply.
How about a standard "Merry Christmas". It would have been innocuous and no big deal. But now Christmas is over, so you can now text "Happy 2019".