Long distance with issues with Parents

I was with my partner for 3 years, we broke up last December. My family told me if I got back with him they would disown me. For 6 months I still saw him behind they’re back which they discovered and again said if I had any more to do with him they would disown me. I then decided to move to Spain. He wants to come here and be with me and settle down. I want him here but don’t know what to say to my parents! Help?

How old are you and are you still living with your parents or are they paying for you to go to school?

What is their problem with him? They don't like him why? Are they strict in other ways or is this a first? What do your old friends think about the situation and about him?

• Author

I’m 26, don’t live with them or rely on them financially.

They dislike him after we briefly broke up last year and are just dead against me being with him again!

What do your friends think? I always think if your old friends think it's bad, it's usually bad, whereas parents always take the position no one measures up to their precious child.

If your friends that you confide in and who know you really well think he's okay, and there's no obvious abuse, like controlling behavior, belittling you, or physical, and if he has no ulterior motives such as citizenship, then it's worth a trial period, but here's my best advice about him moving here: Don't let him live with you yet. Let him come and get a job and support himself for a year and date him exclusively during that time and see how that goes. Tell him no to moving right in. I fear he might be looking for accommodations more than just wanting you. I think that way you don't even have to tell your parents everything but then if the year passes and things are going well and he's self-sufficient and still wanting to commit and hasn't strayed or treated you bad, you go to your parents and tell them he's been here for a year, and maybe they won't mind as bad.

I suspect there's more to the story than you're telling us. Parents don't generally go hating on an ex unless the relationship was harmful to you or if he was disrespectful to them.

During the recent conversations you had with your parents, what reasons did they give for wanting you to stay away from him?

• Like 1