Start Building Long-Distance Relationship with Someone You Never Met Before?

Hello. I recently was flying (round-trip) to Europe and there was attractive girl that I liked. She looked at me and I think she had interest in me but I was shy to approach. Know that feeling of confusion, tension and lack of words? We never talked and flight was over.

I know this forum is about already existing relationship over long distance but I will ask this regardless. Is starting a relationship over long distance with someone you see for the first time, who lives in another country worth it? Provided I was able to get that girl's name and stay connected with potential obstacles that come with long-distance relationship per se?

I think you really need to be not shy, creative and social person to find a reason to approach someone you don't know in public setting without being weird... I don't have any of her details and I guess I should forget about her because the chance of me flying back with her again is slim to none?

ExpatInItaly

I'm sorry OP, but this is just not very realistic at all.

How on earth would you even find out who she is?

Sure , if you can get her number or find her somehow.

People do it if they really care, we were on opposite sides of the world and we managed it.

lt's a bit of sacrifice and missing a lot of time together in person yeah , but as long as you can get some together time until someone can move one day , if you think she's the one, it's worth it.

l know that's a ways of course because you don't even know her yet but that's just the stuff you have to think about.

• Author
I'm sorry OP, but this is just not very realistic at all.

How on earth would you even find out who she is?

You are right. I wish airline would disclose first name at least but they won't due to privacy laws...

• Author
People do it if they really care, we were on opposite sides of the world and we managed it.

Do you know someone from forum who successfully approached and formed relationship in air flight while traveling? On a cruise it is easy compared to air flight or on a bus where everyone mostly sits down and then never sees each other anymore.

ExpatInItaly
You are right. I wish airline would disclose first name at least but they won't due to privacy laws...

Of course not. How creepy would that be?

You have no idea if she is even single, attracted to men, not a sociopath, not a criminal, has 11 kids, nothing.

• Like 2

I believe LDRs work best when there is an existing relationship and a strong bond formed before it starts to be long distance.The other prerequisite IMV is that there needs to be an agreed endpoint to the long distance arrangement.

It also massively helps if both parties have a mature attitude and be committed to the LDR and have excellent communication skills.

Meeting some random girl on a flight and entering into an open ended long distance relationship with her is I guess doomed to failure in 99.9% of cases.

• Like 1
Do you know someone from forum who successfully approached and formed relationship in air flight while traveling? On a cruise it is easy compared to air flight or on a bus where everyone mostly sits down and then never sees each other anymore.

Nope , sorry buddy , l was only talking about LDR part of it.

You saw her ring finger though, right ? Just checkin, ,those things can be easily missed sometimes haha.

But nah seriously , l have no idea how you'd track her but hey , where there's a will .

But you should write down every possible even tiny detail about the flight and about her now, before your memory starts playing tricks and blurring.,for starters.

Of course not. How creepy would that be?

You have no idea if she is even single, attracted to men, not a sociopath, not a criminal, has 11 kids, nothing.

But hey , that's what makes this exiting, ;)

Me , l'm staying tuned. :cool:

• Author
Meeting some random girl on a flight and entering into an open ended long distance relationship with her is I guess doomed to failure in 99.9% of cases.

I agree with what you said. I heard however of people who met each other in similar environment and lived happily ever after. Always wondered how people pull this one out and what character traits were vital to success.

It's rare that I feel that some random girl is "the one" for me but this time I did and I guess it's why I keep thinking about her. It's not only about her but myself, in terms of how I respond in situations and take advantage of something that could be otherwise opportunity that life presented...

Any last tips, suggestions from courageous warriors to someone with poor social skills like myself on how to behave, be creative and approach women in similar situations where you are inconvenienced by limited time and social pressure?

I know this forum is about already existing relationship over long distance but I will ask this regardless. Is starting a relationship over long distance with someone you see for the first time, who lives in another country worth it? Provided I was able to get that girl's name and stay connected with potential obstacles that come with long-distance relationship per se?[/Quote]

It is unlikely. Even if you had talked to her the chances would be low. You generally need some time together to kick off a relationship. I have met European women online, but making things work IRL is hard.

I think you really need to be not shy, creative and social person to find a reason to approach someone you don't know in public setting without being weird... I don't have any of her details and I guess I should forget about her because the chance of me flying back with her again is slim to none?

No, you don't need to be creative, you need to smile and then open your mouth. I don't know how many women I talked to on trains over there, and most were rather chatty, some outright flirtatious. ("No, this seat isn't free. I have reserved it for you.") I really wouldn't overthink this.

Forget this particular woman. The chances of even finding her are slim to none. Plus you have really no idea if she would be interested.

I also wouldn't want to start and LDR. They happened to me from time to time, but I would never seek them out.

• Like 2
  • Author
But hey , that's what makes this exiting, ;)

Me , l'm staying tuned. :cool:

Hey, you know what? It is exciting! Normally I hate searching but that excitement fueled my motivation :laugh:

I remember there was one girl I worked with that I didn't feel anything to but kept thinking of her. Knowing her name I decided to search Facebook and was successful. But she was married by that time. Despite this, I felt relief that my search was over. Back when ICQ was popular I was also successful at finding one girl that served with me in army...

@CptInsano Thanks!

• Like 1

A former coworker met a woman on a domestic flight, and hooked up with her a couple of times after that, but she only lived a few hundred miles away. So, yes, it's possible to meet someone, but without the opportunity to spend time together, it's very difficult to develop a relationship. I've had LDRs, and they don't work well (and usually fail) unless you can see each other periodically to keep the physical connection alive.

• Like 1