new LDR, feeling down

so my boyfriend and i have been dating for about 5 months now. we're from the same town so ive always kinda known him but we just started talking a lot over the summer. so weve basically been dating since july but didnt officially start dating until the beginning of november. we live 10 minutes away at home but we both go to college 4 hours away. last semester wasnt bad since it was just starting out but now i know im in love with him and after spending a month together home for winter break, i had to say goodbye to him today. ive been crying all day (and im not a crier by any means) and i just feel so miserable

any advice on how to get through it? im sure when classes start for me ill start to be more busy and it wont be so bad but right now im a mess.

Welcome to the LS forum, djohns15.

we both go to college 4 hours away
How often are you able to see each other?

How often do you talk to each other during a typical week far from each other?

ive been crying all day (and im not a crier by any means) and i just feel so miserable
Did you hide that from him? Or did he realize about that?

any advice on how to get through it?
Keep something of him with you, so that you feel him nearer you. It might be a book, his t-shirt, a jacket, whatever. Maybe everything together. The more, the better. That can give some peace of mind. You can wear some of his stuff, and smell his scent. He could record messages for you, that you can listen to when you feel lonely, or write you letters that you can read when you feel lonely. Chances are you need to adjust how often you're in touch with one another. That can only come with time, knowing one another better and talking about these things.

At the same time, you should be positive, spend time with friends, focus on your studies, devote time to your hobbies, get into some sport, etc. Whenever you get distracted thinking of him, remind yourself you have short-term and long-term goals to reach, and that might prevent you from reaching them. And you don't want that to happen. You don't want to fail your exams, prolonging your studies, etc.

It gets better.

• Author

we see each other 1-2 times a month which isnt horrible. we talk all day everyday and skype or talk on the phone at least once a day. he knew i was crying, like i wouldnt have a reason not to tell him. we have an amazing relationship so im not worried about it.

i have a few of his shirts which is helpful :)

thanks for the advice!

• Like 1