Relocating to the second poorest country in Central America for love. Am I mad?

Hello!

Returned recently from an overseas volunteering doodar and it looks like I've gone all cushy and gotten myself on board the love boat!

She's a top girl beautiful Latina. Totally head over heals for her I am.

So i guess first step gotta be flying back out there for a few month and seeing my lass. Seeing how our relationship unfolds. But in themean time, im having to think about the following:

She wants me to live there, move into her house in the capital, and i guess have a future with her. That sounds amazing to me.

But woaa woa woah. I'm 25, how on earth am i to establish myself in the second poorest country of Central America?

Don't forget her family! You might have to support them too in your new digs with her. Make sure you understand what going to happen over there. How come you don't get her to come to the where you live today? Unless she really wants to live in the Capital City of her Country?

• Like 1

Do as much research on the country and its customs as you can before you fly over there again. Be certain this is the path you want to take right now, before you leap. Always look before you leap. Know what the pros / cons are of living there vs. where you live now, etc., make sure you have enough savings in the bank (and can access your bank from the city where you plan to move to). Many details to take care of before you make such a huge leap.

TigerLilly78

But woaa woa woah. I'm 25, how on earth am i to establish myself in the second poorest country of Central America?

The answer is you wont unless you have some substantial skills that can get you a higher end job. If not then you will end up doing pee-on work for peanuts there is a reason its the second poorest country after all. there isn't much opportunity ide imagine.

Also be pepaired to support ALL of her family not just her if you move in with them as most Spanish are VERY family oriented. This is very risky ide try to talk her into moving were ever you are now especially if you already have a job were you are and its a better environment?

Also don't forget poor area more crime and so on..ive herd of forighners being kidnapped and ransomed in some places like that just something else to think about..its diffrent once you live there vs doing some volunteer work..

• Like 3

If her family is well off with connections then you should have minimal problems. Research immigration laws there to see if you'd have to marry to stay and if you could find a job. Also google forums for expats in that country. Central America has enclaves of Americans, Brits, Australians, who have moved there to retire or for a cheap standard of living. They would be a valuable source of information.

Central america has no shortage of domestic work force. It will be hard for you to get a legal job. Thus it will be hard to finance your own existence. Becoming dependent on her family while being in a fresh and maybe not so long term relationship is not what I would do.

I have been in two serious international relationships between 21 and 28. They didn't work out for reasons unrelated to economic or jurisdictional aspects. But I have been financially independent. Once you have that, you can think about whether and how to move somewhere.

• Like 1

I would hope you actually have dated her and know her before ditching your life and moving thousand of miles away.

TigerLilly78
If her family is well off with connections then you should have minimal problems. Research immigration laws there to see if you'd have to marry to stay and if you could find a job. Also google forums for expats in that country. Central America has enclaves of Americans, Brits, Australians, who have moved there to retire or for a cheap standard of living. They would be a valuable source of information.

I dont see were he said her family is "well off"? did I miss something here?

• Author

Hello! Thank you for the replies.

I'm pretty set on going to visit in April, and I guess what ever happens from then I will have a better idea of what i am to do.

I am university educated but have no experience in the industry. I've a great deal of experience working within the catering industry in many areas. If I was to get a job over there, it would have to be related to my design degree, and thankfully, my girl works for a magazine company and there may be an opportunity for me there.

She is university educated, and rents her home on her own. Her family wont be an issue.

I genuinely have nothing to lose if I chose to move over to Nicaragua and give it a whirl. I have no career in the UK, and I live in a failing society, and the weather sucks. Inviting her to live here isn't such a brilliant idea, although there would be pros, there would be many cons also.

I did have a well structured plan I wished to begin in 2015, that of working abroad and studying in September (again) and starting a fresh. But with the 10 weeks of close daily contact, me and thee grew close, and I don't want to live the rest of my life not knowing what might have been.

So yes, i'm visiting in April :cool:

Design and catering won't get you far in central america as a foreigner. There's no harm in visiting though.

I'd do LDR for at least 2-3 years. If your RS is still strong then you can always up and leave for her. That way you could also set some money aside (from working at a much higher salary in the UK)

TigerLilly78
Design and catering won't get you far in central america as a foreigner. There's no harm in visiting though.

I'd do LDR for at least 2-3 years. If your RS is still strong then you can always up and leave for her. That way you could also set some money aside (from working at a much higher salary in the UK)

I agree with this unless you are very familiar with the local food and how to prepare it well then thats not going to be a very good carrier choice ide think. Plus the salary difference between the two countries will be great. I think you should consider more then just the weather when making this choice op..

What I would definitely consider before making a binding decision to live in a different country is the following:

- magnitude and frequency of earthquakes/volcanic eruptions (Today's Earthquakes in Managua, Nicaragua)

- quality of health service (in Nicaragua, there's 1 doctor every 3,000 people)

- maternal mortality (24 times higher than in Western Europe)

- infant mortality (up to 2,3% in Nicaragua, 8 times higher than in Western Europe)

- male life expectancy (70 years)

- average income ($4,500 per year, up to a very optimistic $6,500 for the luckiest ones) > this is relative

- unemployment rate (in Nicaragua, 1 in 2 lives below poverty line)

I would also consider the use of nuclear plants (I don't know if there are any in that country).

Edited by justwhoiam
  • Like 1
TigerLilly78

This came off of the Australian governments web site when I did a search for Nicaragua its not inviting to me anyways..and this is just some there was more..

Crime

We recommend that you do not discuss your travel plans with strangers or in public areas. Avoid non-essential travel at night.

The risk of violent crime, including armed robbery and assault is significant, particularly in Managua, Granada and San Juan del Sur, as well as in Bonanza, La Rosita and Siuna in the north-east, and on Corn Island. Gang violence has occurred near major hotels, bus terminals, beaches and markets.

'Express kidnappings', where individuals are abducted and forced to withdraw funds from an ATM to secure their release, have occurred. Many criminals carry weapons and offering resistance can lead to even greater risk and violence.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks again for the replies.

I'm aware of the facts and figures, I've done much research. What they don't show is that there is a huge divide between the poor and relatively rich. I volunteered in a rural community where yes, they seriously do live on less than a dollar a day. But in the capital there are more opportunities, and due to the cost of living being relatively low, the poor wage isn't such an issue. Besides, i'm not one for possessions and expensive things. When I was volunteering and living in house with the community members, I believed I could also live this way. Coming from a society based on greed, less is more in Nica.

I am thinking about job possibilities and here is one idea i'm seriously considering taking up on my initial visit to Nicaragua. With hope it will give me a better picture of city life in Managua:

• TEFL - Teaching English as Foreign language.
    As a country looking to develop it's tourism industry, knowing English has become rather important. Nicaraguan private schools are seeking basic English teachers. There is a demand. TEFL certificate is rather easy to obtain.

Earthquakes and natural disasters are something I am looking to get involved with. My plan for the UK was to study geology and geography with the hope of studying volcanology at university. Perhaps there are opportunities to study in Nicaragua or even work in research.

As a developing country, Nicaragua is a gold mine for entrepreneurship. Perhaps there is something there for me too.

Jobs and career aside, I don't think I could wait 2-3 years in a long distance relationship. As I said before, I have nothing to lose, and if it doesn't work out I can easily return to the UK and continue with my plan over here.

This thread is full of stupid stereotypes and assumptions, and you should ignore them all. Instead, do some research, and figure out if you can live with the reality of the country she lives in.

Like you said, you have nothing to lose. Nicaragua is a bit of a scary place to live, but if you can live with your risk, I actually don't see a problem.

The TEFL route is actually a good idea. Tons of native English speakers go to foreign countries to teach. You won't make as much money as you could make in your home country, but you will earn a pretty nice living if you take the low cost of living in your new country.

I say go for it. My only suggestion would be that you find a teaching job BEFORE you move there, and that your contract is solid (work hours & pay completely spelled out). There is a lot of scams on this, but so long as you go with a reputable agency, you'll be fine. Do a little research :)

Best of luck!

This thread is full of stupid stereotypes and assumptions, and you should ignore them all. Instead, do some research, and figure out if you can live with the reality of the country she lives in.

Like you said, you have nothing to lose. Nicaragua is a bit of a scary place to live, but if you can live with your risk, I actually don't see a problem.

The TEFL route is actually a good idea. Tons of native English speakers go to foreign countries to teach. You won't make as much money as you could make in your home country, but you will earn a pretty nice living if you take the low cost of living in your new country.

This is good advice. There are definitely a lot of ignorant comments. It is certainly worth a short-term stay to see what works out. You don't have to settle there right away. The thing with teaching English abroad is that it's often times unpaid or paid so poorly that you cannot maintain a living (even with the lower cost of living). So it's important to have savings.

Thinking super far ahead, another option that could potentially work out for both of you long-term is to work in the U.S. (she could work legally or illegally) and make money there for several/a few years and then use the stronger currency to move back there long-term.

I didn't read any stupid post in here. Just common sense. I myself know a woman who's from like a thousand miles from there, but living in my town, and she sends money to her parents. She had a house there and had to sell it out, because she couldn't afford keeping it any longer.

One thing is clear to me: the OP is aware he's about to do something uncommon, but willing to do it anyway, no matter what we say.