He's Leaving and I Need to do Something

ashleydale00

I need help. Sorry this is so long but want you to know all the details. Almost four years ago, this guy moved to my town. He was just out of the military and unsure about his future. When I first met him, I was seeing someone else. He used to try to talk to me but I just blew him off. He's very blunt and sometimes hard to take. Then one day, I realized what a great guy he was. We started hanging out and became pretty good friends. It was never romantic, we just enjoyed each others company. He was always going out of his way to do things for me (like fix things on my car or help me work on my house) and never asked me for anything.

After a year, he couldn't find work and decided to rejoin the military. We keep in touch through email and he always stops by when he's back in town. A few months ago, he quit returning my emails. I wasn't sure what was going on. Yesterday, my phone rang and it was him. He was in town and asked me to let him come over. When he got here we just sat around and talked like we always do.

Suddenly, he started talking about us. He said he had been wanting to talk to me but wasn't sure how it would work with him being gone all the time. Then I realized what exactly he was talking about. It completely shocked me because I have always liked him. I never would have thought about him considering being with me. I didn't say anything. I didn't know what to say. Before we could finish talking about it, my little brother walked in and I had to leave for work.

The next day when I got home I called him. We talked, while I built up the courage to ask him about it. I finally asked him about what he said the day before and if he was serious. He said yes. Then I asked him if he thought it would work. He said no. He is being shipped out of the country in six months. He told me he'll be gone for years, until everything is settled in Iraq.

Now I am so confused. It was so hard for me to call and ask him about it because I am not good at talking about these things. I just don't understand why he even brought it up. Why tell me he wants to be with me when he thinks it won't work. He was just so nonchalant, telling me it wouldn't. Like he didn't even really care. He's leaving in a few days and I'm not even sure if he come see me before he leaves. I never take chances when it comes to love. I always sit around and wait for things to happen. I just feel like I should do something. Like I should say something about this before he leaves, because I really do care about him. Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

Well i don't know. If he was staying near you maybe, but as hes going away for ages... only you can answer that, do you reckon you could be without him, what if someone else came along??

But if you wanna go for it i don't think you have anything to lose, if it doesn't work out then hey! you can still be great friends!!

Do you think you could handle the long distance thing?

• Author
ashleydale00

I called him the day before he was supposed to leave. He told me he was busy so I asked him if he wanted me to let him go. He said yes. That was the last I talked to him. He left and never told me bye or anything. I just don't understand why he would even tell me then be a total jerk afterwards. I don't know if it would work. I understand it would be hard and probably wouldn't work. I guess it all happened so fast my mind just got to racing.