Can long distance relationships work?

TaraMaiden

It depends on how often you actually get to see one another.

It depends on how much you feel that distance is no object... an hour-and-a-half away really isn't that huge a deal.

Is it to you?

justwhoiam
Can a relationship work out if you live 1 hour and a half away from each other?

1 hour and a half on foot is not LD.

1 hour and a half drive is not LD.

1 hour and a half flight can be considered LD.

Anything can work if two people make it work. I guess you meant: are there cases of people living 1.5 hour drive from one another and their relationship works great? I guess so. But you need to deal with the fact that:

1. normally, you will see each 2 days a week at best

2. it can't be a permanent situation

With all that in mind, it can work.

• Like 1
LittleTiger

Yes..... :)

HeavenOrHell

Are you talking 1 1/2 hours drive on the same continent, or a plane ride? Plane ride would involve more time for check in and everything, a drive is straight forward, so I'd say if it's by car yes not a problem, but by plane maybe you wouldn't be able to see them so often.

My partner is an hour and half by plane, 45 mins if we meet half way, we live in different countries, we can only meet every 8 weeks or so, which isn't enough for it to work.

So, it depends on what you mean by 1 1/2 hours.

LittleTiger
It depends, not working out in my case :(

Sorry HOH :( (((((Hugs))))) PM me anytime.

I was replying to the question in the title though - CAN LDRs work?

My answer is 'yes' - but, of course, it depends on a lot of things.

Edited by LittleTiger
  • Like 2
HeavenOrHell

Sorry, yes, they can depending on circumstances, you're right :)

I'll PM you soon :)

Sorry HOH :( (((((Hugs))))) PM me anytime.

I was replying to the question in the title though - CAN LDRs work?

My answer is 'yes' - but, of course, it depends on a lot of things.

justwhoiam
Trying to find ways to make it work, not sure yet if we can :(

We've all been there... (hopefully) you'll succeed. Unless he's the reason why it's not working. At times guys just get comfy with what they have.

HeavenOrHell

Thank you :) Not sure yet what we'll do, the ball is in his court (at the moment anyway) now he knows my thoughts/feelings on it all.

We've all been there... (hopefully) you'll succeed. Unless he's the reason why it's not working. At times guys just get comfy with what they have.

Take a look at the thread in my sig, to get a feeling what crazy **** some people pull off, and for how long they manage.

I'm in one since past September (officially). Before that it was monkey love. I'd estimate that we have a 45% chance of still being together in one years time. A friend of mine is going into his fifth year of LDR with the same girl. Several time zones, both traveling on their own pretty frequently.

I am not aware of a more scientific answer to your question, but I remember some researcher posting here, asking for people to fill out his/her questionnaire.

The questionnaire is here: https://purdue.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9EydJM3na3gdR09

If you consider the average commute for many as long distance your partner may not because that is how long it takes to move around your community. And if your partner does not see it as "long distance" then it will not work because they expect you to be there regularly just as you are expected to get to work/school regularly.

At a further distance then both lower their expectations and the LDR adjustments come into play

I think LDR or Local Relationships have a lot in common... just because you're local doesn't mean it'll work.

I think the common denominators are if two people are willing to put the effort, no matter the circumstances, it can work. LDR is not easy... and there are days where you miss them terribly and you wonder if it's worth it. If you really love that person, it is. But being realistic is also something to balance. I only can speak for myself... my LDR works. This is because we both put in the same amount of effort and we both WANT to. It's not something we're forced to do. Another thing that makes it work for us is knowing that we are working towards no being in a LDR anymore and will be together.

HOH, I'm so sorry you're going through a rough patch. I don't question the love you both have for each other... logistics are things that sometimes are out of our control. You are always welcomed to PM me too :)

• Like 1
HeavenOrHell

Thank you Cherry :)

I think LDR or Local Relationships have a lot in common... just because you're local doesn't mean it'll work.

I think the common denominators are if two people are willing to put the effort, no matter the circumstances, it can work. LDR is not easy... and there are days where you miss them terribly and you wonder if it's worth it. If you really love that person, it is. But being realistic is also something to balance. I only can speak for myself... my LDR works. This is because we both put in the same amount of effort and we both WANT to. It's not something we're forced to do. Another thing that makes it work for us is knowing that we are working towards no being in a LDR anymore and will be together.

HOH, I'm so sorry you're going through a rough patch. I don't question the love you both have for each other... logistics are things that sometimes are out of our control. You are always welcomed to PM me too :)

missunshine

that subject doesn't really bother me that much. of course they can work. if you are both sure in what you want and if it's mutual, of course it will work.

I am really interested in the part what if a LDR doesn't work out? how to forget him? how to forget all the memories? how to stop looking for him, see if he is online, see if he has posted something just to hear from him, anything, even just a word... how to forget how happy you were when you knew he was there for you and you were there for him, at any time, and now all of that is gone?

LittleTiger
that subject doesn't really bother me that much. of course they can work. if you are both sure in what you want and if it's mutual, of course it will work.

I am really interested in the part what if a LDR doesn't work out? how to forget him? how to forget all the memories? how to stop looking for him, see if he is online, see if he has posted something just to hear from him, anything, even just a word... how to forget how happy you were when you knew he was there for you and you were there for him, at any time, and now all of that is gone?

Perhaps you could post your own thread about this? :)

Yes it can

It depends, not working out in my case :(

Late to this thread; hope you're doing okay, HoH. {{hugs}} We're all here for you, if you ever want to talk about it.

• Like 1