does absense make the heart grow fonder?

same is true for family, but is it the same for love? does staying apart for some time make love grow? or is it the opposite?

what do you think?

i personally think it makes love grow

Art_Critic

I think that absence does make the heart grow fonder however I don't think it will make your love grow without seeing and being around someone.

In regards to NC, I think a person needs to give the proper amount of space to allow the other person to miss them, if a person doesn't give them space they never miss them and never get to reminisce all the things in their heart they like about them.

To me making the heart grow fonder is all about remembering all the things you like or love about a person.

• Like 1
youngnlove89
same is true for family, but is it the same for love? does staying apart for some time make love grow? or is it the opposite?

what do you think?

What makes you think it grows? Recent experience? Explain...

It really depends to be honest. I was in a LDR once and I would miss him a lot, but I almost got used to him just not being there, but when we finally did see each other it was intense. If the time apart would have been any longer, I most likely would have just moved on. Not because I wanted to, but because I would want more. I would NEED more.

• Like 2
LittleTiger

In my opinion, no, it doesn't. Absence itself has no effect at all on how we feel about another human being.

I love my guy because of who he is - his values and beliefs, the way he thinks and behaves, his sense of humour, his smile, his kindness and emotional support, his body ;):laugh: (I could go on but I'll stop there! :D ). All of these things about him are constant and they don't change just because he isn't with me. So I love him just the same, wherever he is and wherever I am.

The feeling of missing someone or yearning for them, as much as that may increase with absence, is not what I call 'love'.

• Like 1
HeavenOrHell

Depends on the people involved, what their feelings are for each other, how often they have spent together in person, depends on lots of things.

Absence can be detrimental and make you miss a person so much that you can't handle being in that r/ship anymore as it's too painful, I don't think absence makes my heart grow fonder, I couldn't be more fond of him anyway, absence just makes me sad.

But I suppose it helps make you realise how much you love them though, which may or may not be a good thing in an LDR.

what do you think?

• Like 1
soccerrprp

I hate such idioms...

...the counter to that is: "Out of sight, out of mind." So which is true®????

• Like 1
LittleTiger
I hate such idioms...

...the counter to that is: "Out of sight, out of mind." So which is true®????

Since we're talking about 'love', neither!

If we were talking about rooms that need a good tidy (like my office!) and keeping the door shut over the weekend helps to focus the mind elsewhere then definitely the latter! :p:laugh:

justwhoiam
does absense make the heart grow fonder?
Only great loves. The others die out.

Of course with a limit. If you get married, your husband goes to war to never return... and 40 years go by, you might rememember him dearly, but maybe you can go on with your life soon or later, despite of how great that love was. Though there have been cases, historically, of women never having another man after that.

So as you can see, it mainly depends on the people, how they value love and other things in life.

Now it'd be harder than it was in the past, people connect more easily, everything can happen really fast, and we live in a more materialistic society nowadays.

• Author

well it is extrememly difficult to be apart. two weeks until i see my SO!

i am in london

he lives in ireland

now he is in Germany for the week with ill mother.

should I text him to tell him how much i miss him? or leave it until he comes back? i dont want to appear needy but at the same time dont want to appear like i am not thinking about him...

any suggestions ? really appreciate everyones responses

Thanks ! :)

LittleTiger

should I text him to tell him how much i miss him? or leave it until he comes back? i dont want to appear needy but at the same time dont want to appear like i am not thinking about him...

any suggestions ? really appreciate everyones responses

Do whatever feels right to you. In any relationship you should always be yourself - if the other person doesn't like it, they're not right for you. You can't pretend forever!

• Like 1
LittleTiger
Yes u r right! I just dont like appearing needy but yeah I should text him

How is it 'needy' to text someone you love and say that you're missing them? :confused:

If you were doing it several times a day I can see that might be considered excessive but I'm assuming that's not what you're saying. Even then it wouldn't necessarily be a problem if he was doing the same!

My guy and I talk on Skype twice a day plus occasional texts, phone calls and Facebook messages. That might seem a lot to some but we have the same level of 'neediness' for each other so we match and it works well. :)