False Intimacy? Why do I feel attached already?

Okay, met a guy at an academic conference. We are both Profs and generally complete nerds without much social life outside of work. We are also both single parents, although mine are teens and his are little (and live with his ex). He lives in a major city that I have always wanted to move to - my parents grew up there - lots of job opportunities, etc. I travel to his city (about 90 min plane ride) a lot for work.

We immediately hit it off at the last conference and are meeting up at another one next week. I'll be in his city in June for two weeks for work as well. We haven't kissed or anything, just had lots of long conversations. Thing is - since the last conference, we've been emailing each other almost daily and there's some flirting involved. He keeps saying he's looking forward to seeing me, how he wants to show me around his city in June, he's invited me to go skiing with him next winter, etc. I don't think he's the one-night stand type, and I certainly am not. I'm hoping for some kissing next time I see him (discreetly - this is a work conference) but I want to move slowly.

Is this whole thing completely crazy? Should I even be considering him in this way? Am I setting myself up for disappointment? We have so much in common, and I (and my children) wouldn't mind relocating to his city I mean, uh, someday, and not necessarily just for him - we've talked a lot before about moving there - he just happens to live there.

What freaks me out is that I feel sort of attached to him already. I look forward to his emails. I fantasize about kissing him. It's messed up. And there's something about a long-distance thing that appeals to me. I don't want to live with someone right away and I like my independence. But something about this seems like a fantasy relationship. Does anyone have any advice?

I should add - I'm being cautious and trying to pace it. We are not calling / texting / skyping non-stop. Just emails at this point.

Edited by waiting4u