Prom Idea for Long Distance Relationship? Yay or nay?

Hey,

I've been in a long distance relationship with my girlfriend for over a year and a half now. She's a junior in high school and I'm a freshman in college (I moved away for college and she's finishing out high school). Anyway, Prom is a obviously a huge deal for girls and yadda yadda yadda. So her Junior Prom is coming up, and she says she isn't going because she doesn't want to go with anyone but me, and I can't make it this year because her prom falls on the week of my finals and stuff. I told her over and over again that she could go with someone else and whatever and that she should go just to have a good time and she shouldnt let me hold her back, blah blah blah. but she wont listen, and I feel like I'm holding her back, and I don't want her to miss out on the experience. So I was kind of thinking of doing something pretty cheesey, but I just want some feedback before I do it.

So, the big deal with prom is "when the guy asks the girl in a cute way". So would it be crazy cheesey if I like took a picture of me holding a little note that says something like:

"Distance is kind of a bitch sometimes, ey? But tbh, I don't need need a limo,or flowers, sparkles, or dimaonds.In fact, I don't even need glamorous hair, or fancy clothes.That **** is overrated. I don't need music,

or a reason to dance.What I do need...Is You. Because every day that I get to spend with you, Whether it be right next to you,Or 1,013 miles apart, Is just as "magical" as Prom Night. And I would take a forever filled with prom nights, Over just one...anyday. So, I know distance is a bitch,

And I know this is cheesy, But will you be my "Prom date"?"

I don't know. I realize this is mad cheesy/sappy, but I feel really bad and I don't want to hold her back, but she's really stubborn and stuff. She's just a really cool chick and I don't want her missing out on something like this, and I feel like this is one aspect of prom that I might be able to somewhat simulate for her. So any feedback would be really appreciated. Should I do this? Should I not, and just leave it be? Or should I had something?

Thanks in advance.

her Junior Prom is coming up, and she says she isn't going because she doesn't want to go with anyone but me, and I can't make it this year because her prom falls on the week of my finals and stuff.
She won't have another prom, will she?

I told her over and over again that she could go with someone else and whatever and that she should go just to have a good time and she shouldnt let me hold her back, blah blah blah. but she wont listen
Do you have any idea of what having a good time means? She wanted it to be you and you're pushing her into someone else's arms.

I don't want her to miss out on the experience.
Your best option was going out of your way to be there for her. And she would have remembered that for the rest of her life.

I was kind of thinking of doing something pretty cheesey, but I just want some feedback before I do it.
I'll give you my feedback.

the big deal with prom is "when the guy asks the girl in a cute way".
Yeah.

So would it be crazy cheesey if I like took a picture of me holding a little note that says something like:

"Distance is kind of a bitch sometimes, ey? But tbh, I don't need need a limo, or flowers, sparkles, or diamonds. In fact, I don't even need glamorous hair, or fancy clothes.That **** is overrated. I don't need music, or a reason to dance. What I do need... Is You. Because every day that I get to spend with you, whether it be right next to you, or 1,013 miles apart, is just as "magical" as Prom Night. And I would take a forever filled with prom nights, over just one... anyday. So, I know distance is a bitch, and I know this is cheesy, but will you be my "Prom date"?"

If I were you, I would avoid using the b word like that twice in your message. She might show the picture to her close friends or whatever, and you want to come across as a good guy. And I would avoid any comment about doing anything cheesy, even if you think that, you might add that when you talk to her.

Anyway, are you 100% sure you can't be there for the night and then fly back to college? Be crazy once in your life...

• Author
She won't have another prom, will she?

Yeah, she'll have another prom, next year..which I promised her I would go with her to come hell or high water...it's just this year that's the issue.

Do you have any idea of what having a good time means? She wanted it to be you and you're pushing her into someone else's arms.

Yeah I know she wants it to be me, and I want to be there for her too..It's really been eating at me but there's nothing I can do. I'd love to be there for her, but I just can't. I'm not pushing her into someone else's arms. I just don't want her to miss out.

Your best option was going out of your way to be there for her. And she would have remembered that for the rest of her life.

Yeah, I realize it would be the best option, but I just can't. Believe me I have thought of nearly every possibility to be there, and I just can't swing it this year. I'm just trying to make this year bearable for her.

If I were you, I would avoid using the b word like that twice in your message. She might show the picture to her close friends or whatever, and you want to come across as a good guy. And I would avoid any comment about doing anything cheesy, even if you think that, you might add that when you talk to her.

Yeah, I know, but it's hard to explain. We kind of have a raw relationship like that, very casual, and her friends are like that too. They wouldn't be too offended. Regardless, it isn't about what others think. I just want her to have something good out of the situation. I appreciate the suggestions though, and I'll definitely think about reworking it.

Anyway, are you 100% sure you can't be there for the night and then fly back to college? Be crazy once in your life...

And yeah, I'm absolutely positive there's no way I can make it this year. I have a track meet on the Thursday night, and then I have finals all day Friday, and there's no way I could fly out to her by Saturday night. I have legit exhausted almost every possible means of getting there. I even tried getting out of my track meet and taking my finals early, but College coaches aren't really big fans of that sort of thing.

she'll have another prom, next year..which I promised her I would go with her to come hell or high water...it's just this year that's the issue.
Ok. Then it's not the end of the world. And that's probably why it's no big deal for her this year. Because she'll invest everything in the next year!

I'm not pushing her into someone else's arms. I just don't want her to miss out.
Well, you did. I'm not saying every guy is one-track minded, but you should know what to expect when someone takes a girl out, and the moon, and the stars, etc.

Yeah, I know, but it's hard to explain. We kind of have a raw relationship like that, very casual, and her friends are like that too. They wouldn't be too offended. Regardless, it isn't about what others think. I just want her to have something good out of the situation. I appreciate the suggestions though, and I'll definitely think about reworking it.
Ok. You can have several approaches to that, it's just up to you. But if you look at it seeing a bigger picture than just doing something nice for her, like your grandchildren might read it one day (:o), then you can turn your message into something memorable for the years to come. And again, I would take out the negativity, and make it positive. The more positive it is, the better she will feel. It's like transferring good thoughts and feelings to her.

But of course it's up to you, and the relationship between the two of you is very personal, as you said.

• Author
Well, you did. I'm not saying every guy is one-track minded, but you should know what to expect when someone takes a girl out, and the moon, and the stars, etc.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I definitely didn't want her going with another guy, I'll admit that. However, I also didn't want to be the reason that she missed out on her junior prom..I really just didn't want to hold her back.

Ok. You can have several approaches to that, it's just up to you. But if you look at it seeing a bigger picture than just doing something nice for her, like your grandchildren might read it one day (:o), then you can turn your message into something memorable for the years to come. And again, I would take out the negativity, and make it positive. The more positive it is, the better she will feel. It's like transferring good thoughts and feelings to her.

But of course it's up to you, and the relationship between the two of you is very personal, as you said.

Yeah, I guess you're right with that. That's a good point. I'll definitely rework that. Thanks for the advice. So besides that, do you think it's a cool idea, or do you think it's dumb? Or is it too cliche? I was kind of going for something a little more original..

So besides that, do you think it's a cool idea, or do you think it's dumb?

I would think it's cute.

Or is it too cliche?
It wouldn't be too cliché for me, as I've never heard of anyone doing that. I have no idea how frequent that is.

I was kind of going for something a little more original..
More original than that? Great! What is it?