Meeting your bf for the first time ..how did it go?

I've met people off the internet in real life before but it's always been friendships, friendships that are still going strong today. However I never expected to fall for someone online...let alone someone in a complete different country than me.

We met on a chatroom, like mentioned before I have a few online friends (some remain online only - others I've met), for him this was his first time chatting to strangers online, and the thought of having online friends was strange to him but he wanted to see what it was all about. We started talking, I did most of the talking at the start, he was very quiet and shy. We chatted for about 5-6 months just as friends, then one day he asked if I had found a man yet - which I found hilarious that he was so upfront about that as most our conversations were made because I kept them going as he was so quiet, anyways I told him I hadn't and he told me that was good news he was going to be my man then.

From then on I called him my man and he called me his girl, he wasn't so quiet anymore and we were very much 'in like' with each other :p. I guess we were 'unofficially dating'. Then one day he asked me what I thought about long distance relationship, told him I'd never been on one but if two people really like/love each other then they'll find a way to make it work. He agreed and told me that's what he wanted with me, he wanted to be with me even though we are in different countries and he wanted it to be as real as if we were in the same place, so just us two. We called each other on the phone and we made that first day we talked on the phone the date we 'officially' started dating.

Since that day we've been together for a month and a bit now, and in 2 months I will be flying over to see him. After much playful arguments about who was paying for the ticket as he insisted in paying and I refused for him to pay. In the end he purchased it without telling me as a surprise lol

We've talked on the phone, we text all day every day, we skype, we send pictures of each other ect. But I still know I am going to be freaking out when I'm at the airport and his going to be there waiting for me.

He asked me what the first thing I wanted was when I get off the plane and I see him, I told him I wanted a hug so I'm hoping I'll be getting a hug but I'm freaking out and it's still 2 months away before I even leave cause I don't really know what his reaction would be like.

For some reason I keep thinking I'm gonna go up to the wrong guy and he'll be looking from somewhere else and watch me make a fool of myself hahaha the thoughts in my head are

*What if theres a guy that looks like him and I go up to the wrong guy instead?

* What if I don't see him anywhere, and his actually there but I can't find him..again..him standing there watching me look like an idiot

*What if we go for a hug and it's just awkward

haha I know it's just stupid stuff but I was hoping to hear other stories of how the first meeting went to kind of ease my mind a little bit lol

Thanks in advance and sorry this was so long, I actually tried to keep it short!

LittleTiger

Our first meeting was like something straight out of a romantic movie.

When I went to pick him up at the airport, he didn't even know what I looked like. He had seen photos of me but no close-ups of my face (his decision), which made it all the more nerve wracking for both of us. I saw him come through the doors into the arrivals hall and the first thing I noticed was the way he walked. I instantly went weak at the knees (pheromones travel a long way :laugh:).

Then I had to walk right out into the middle of the arrivals hall (no-mans land), in front of everybody waiting for their loved ones, and I was practically jumping up and down and waving my hands about before he realised it was me. :D

He dropped his bags on the spot and picked me up in his arms and we stood hugging forever. The thing I remember most about that moment was how great he smelt (his skin I mean). I don't know what happened to all the other people in the airport 'cos we both swear, to this day, that we were the only two people there! :love::love:

Don't worry about your first meeting. If the chemistry is there it will all go perfectly, if it isn't, then it just wasn't meant to be and you can be great LD friends instead.

Whatever happens:

1. You won't go up to the wrong guy - I was worried I wouldn't recognise my man but, trust me, you will

2. You will find each other - if he sees you first the last thing he's going to do is stand there and just watch you

3. If you're already great friends and very fond of each other, the hug will more than likely be instinctive.

I would say try not to get your hopes up but I know you already have. ;)

Just a word of caution as you're the one who's travelling to meet him: do be careful. I don't want to put a damper on things but make sure you cover all bases to ensure your personal safety. You may feel that you know him well but remember, in some ways he's still a stranger.

HeavenOrHell

It sounds like you will really hit if off when you meet, but still bear in mind there's a slight chance you won't hit it off as partners/lovers, something no-one knows for absolute definite until they meet face to face.

With me and my partner, we met 3 or 4 months after first talking online, we didn't call ourselves a couple until we met face to face, we tried to not put much too much weight and expectations on it, just in case we didn't work out as partners. We said at least we'll be good friends, if nothing more.

You will recognise each other as you've seen each other on Skype :)

I did wonder if he (my partner) would look like he did on skype and in his pics, when I first saw him at the station I thought he looks like all his pics rolled into one and that he did look young for his age, like he'd said he does, in the meantime my hands were shaking so much I had problems getting my ticket out of my bag :laugh: We'd both come out of very LTR's the year before, so it was a big deal for us (but we were trying to make out it wasn't haha!).

We were both nervous about meeting as we're shy and cos we knew it was important. He's more reserved than me so I gave him a quick hug, I had a slight moment of 'eek is it going to be ok or not?!' then we started walking to the hotel. We didn't say much at first, nerves :rolleyes: I stopped and said let's have a hug, so we had a proper hug and it was lovely and I thought 'it's going to be ok' :laugh:

When we got to the hotel room, (he'd said please don't book separate rooms, he wanted to be in the same room not for sex as he wasn't expecting that-nor was I-but just so we could hang out together) we felt a bit awkward, then I started hugging him again and he hugged me back (he said afterwards he was surprised-in a good way, just taken aback-by my forwardness, but it just felt right, and we literally hugged (and some other stuff) for the next few hours, we were hugging on the bed and he said some sweet things which I'll never forget. We had an amazing few days together, knew we had something special, it all felt so right and natural.

If you don't see your man at first he's hardly going to think you're an idiot, if me or my partner hadn't seen each other at first we'd just think it was sweet. Your first hug might be a bit awkward, but it does't matter, things will fall into place if you're right for each other, just do what comes naturally, don't force anything, just see what you feel like doing, see what happens. If he's shy/quiet, not very forthcoming, you might have to hug him first. If it's awkward at first it should hopefully get more relaxed the more time you spend together. You can't rush these things, things happen in their own time.

I agree with LT about safety too, I made sure friends knew where I was and they kept in touch to make sure I was ok.

Most of all, enjoy it! Try to look at it in the respect of at the very least you'll have made a good friend if you don't work out as partners.

I am so in love with my partner, it's 14 months since we first met face to face, we've met 8 or 9 times now. I also know that if we were ever to split up (cos of the distance) that I've made a wonderful friend for life :)

The first time I met my boyfriend it was amazing. He came outside of the airport and I jumped out of my car and gave him a huge hug, that immediately made the tension and what not disappear. When we got back to my house I was in his arms in a second and that first kiss was amazing.

I was so worried it was going to be weird, but you know what, it wasn't. It was a pleasure to have him there with me finally after the months of tension building up.

However, we didn't begin our relationship until we met in person. We both realized that things are one way on the internet and may not be the same in real life, and while we talked about the feelings we had for each other online, and how if we were closer we'd be together without a doubt - we wouldn't make a commitment before we met. We agreed though, that if it went well, and we really did have the same connection in real life as we had online that we would pursue a long distance relationship. Which is what we've done.

For me, not being in a relationship before hand took a lot of stress off that initial meeting. It was just so natural, and amazing to finally be with this man I had wanted for so long.

We have our second visit in a little more than a week and I can't wait to see him again and be wrapped in his arms.

Good luck on your first visit!

• Author

I actually talked to him about it and he finds it funny because I'm the more 'forward' person and his the quiet shy guy so he thinks it should be the other way around lol

Thanks for the replies, you have all helped me calm down a little ...for now :laugh: but it's been really good hearing the experiences of others, so thanks for sharing.

I was actually ok with meeting my boyfriend for the first time in person, till I boarded my last flight. I started freaking out when the pilot announced we were about to land. I kept thinking "what if he doesn't like me", "what if I don't like him", "what if we don't get along in person". It was kinda odd since I'd met one of my exes online and I didn't freak out as much with him, haha. Anyway after almost falling down the stairs with a suitcase and giant bookbag to get to the tarmac, and fixing my shirt that had managed to almost fall down in the process, I walked toward the airport hoping to get myself together before I walked out into the lobby.

What I didn't know was that the airport in my boyfriend's city was super small and didn't have that little area that was for boarding and departing guests only. As soon as I walked through the doors he was leaning up against a post in the lobby, looking somewhat serious and cool in his black leather jacket and jeans. He took my bags for me, we walked out the door, and when I managed to look into his blue eyes for the first time, all my fear faded. We had two great weeks before I left and two more great visits after that before I moved 2,000 miles to be with him in another country for good.

• Author
I was actually ok with meeting my boyfriend for the first time in person, till I boarded my last flight. I started freaking out when the pilot announced we were about to land. I kept thinking "what if he doesn't like me", "what if I don't like him", "what if we don't get along in person". It was kinda odd since I'd met one of my exes online and I didn't freak out as much with him, haha. Anyway after almost falling down the stairs with a suitcase and giant bookbag to get to the tarmac, and fixing my shirt that had managed to almost fall down in the process, I walked toward the airport hoping to get myself together before I walked out into the lobby.

This is exactly what I picture happening to me! lol

Lol, well just try to stay calm and not to put too much pressure on the situation. I know it's easier said than done, but if you at least try it may help you calm down a bit.

+1! Even though I'll have more time between landing and meeting, nerves will no doubt get to me during the last moments. To tell you the truth, I'm kind of looking forward to them! They just signal a kind of giddy excitement, and anticipation of fun ahead.

HeavenOrHell

Good luck and enjoy :)

You look much better without the beard btw, lovely pic :)

+1! Even though I'll have more time between landing and meeting, nerves will no doubt get to me during the last moments. To tell you the truth, I'm kind of looking forward to them! They just signal a kind of giddy excitement, and anticipation of fun ahead.
Good luck and enjoy :)

You look much better without the beard btw, lovely pic :)

Thank you HOH, for the well wishes and the compliment. You're a gem. :)

Ah, you've put the beard back on now. :(

I'm an extremely hairy woman, Ross. It grew seemingly overnight.

Citizen Erased

My flight was early so I got there before he did. I wasn't really nervous until I was sitting there at baggage claim and then I saw him across the room. I played it casual, like I didn't notice him coming so I had some time to compose myself. He walked over, I stood up and he picked me up and hugged me, it was an amazing feeling. When we got to his car he had some flowers waiting for me. :love:

After that initial moment of nervousness, it's felt natural and safe with him. I really hope it's the same way for you. :)

Hi, Like you I met a lovely lady online who lived in Florida, I live in the UK.

We emailed and talked on the phone for 8 months, then I flew out for 2 weeks to meet her....I stayed 3 months!! I came back to the UK and found I missed her so 2 weeks later I flew back and coinsidently it happenned to be on her birthday...I phoned her sister who met me at the airport and kept me hidden until they all went to her birthday party at a lovely restaurant...All the waiters and waitresses came in with her birthday cake singing happy birthday and I was behind them and when they finished I was on one knee with an engagement ring in my hand...Someone pointed and she turned around and you've never heard a scream like that in your life lol...I asked her to marry me ...was accepted...A week before the wedding she had a massive heart attack and died in my arms....Now the moral of this is to grab what happiness you can with both hands and thank the God you have each other, for you never know whatmight happen tomorrow.... I omitted to say that the first time I saw her at the airport I fell love with her....May you and he always be happy and take care of each other always....Good luck and god bless...

I've met people off the internet in real life before but it's always been friendships, friendships that are still going strong today. However I never expected to fall for someone online...let alone someone in a complete different country than me.

We met on a chatroom, like mentioned before I have a few online friends (some remain online only - others I've met), for him this was his first time chatting to strangers online, and the thought of having online friends was strange to him but he wanted to see what it was all about. We started talking, I did most of the talking at the start, he was very quiet and shy. We chatted for about 5-6 months just as friends, then one day he asked if I had found a man yet - which I found hilarious that he was so upfront about that as most our conversations were made because I kept them going as he was so quiet, anyways I told him I hadn't and he told me that was good news he was going to be my man then.

From then on I called him my man and he called me his girl, he wasn't so quiet anymore and we were very much 'in like' with each other :p. I guess we were 'unofficially dating'. Then one day he asked me what I thought about long distance relationship, told him I'd never been on one but if two people really like/love each other then they'll find a way to make it work. He agreed and told me that's what he wanted with me, he wanted to be with me even though we are in different countries and he wanted it to be as real as if we were in the same place, so just us two. We called each other on the phone and we made that first day we talked on the phone the date we 'officially' started dating.

Since that day we've been together for a month and a bit now, and in 2 months I will be flying over to see him. After much playful arguments about who was paying for the ticket as he insisted in paying and I refused for him to pay. In the end he purchased it without telling me as a surprise lol

We've talked on the phone, we text all day every day, we skype, we send pictures of each other ect. But I still know I am going to be freaking out when I'm at the airport and his going to be there waiting for me.

He asked me what the first thing I wanted was when I get off the plane and I see him, I told him I wanted a hug so I'm hoping I'll be getting a hug but I'm freaking out and it's still 2 months away before I even leave cause I don't really know what his reaction would be like.

For some reason I keep thinking I'm gonna go up to the wrong guy and he'll be looking from somewhere else and watch me make a fool of myself hahaha the thoughts in my head are

*What if theres a guy that looks like him and I go up to the wrong guy instead?

* What if I don't see him anywhere, and his actually there but I can't find him..again..him standing there watching me look like an idiot

*What if we go for a hug and it's just awkward

haha I know it's just stupid stuff but I was hoping to hear other stories of how the first meeting went to kind of ease my mind a little bit lol

Thanks in advance and sorry this was so long, I actually tried to keep it short!

Edited by eastbo
  • Author

We emailed and talked on the phone for 8 months, then I flew out for 2 weeks to meet her....I stayed 3 months!! I came back to the UK and found I missed her so 2 weeks later I flew back and coinsidently it happenned to be on her birthday...I phoned her sister who met me at the airport and kept me hidden until they all went to her birthday party at a lovely restaurant...All the waiters and waitresses came in with her birthday cake singing happy birthday and I was behind them and when they finished I was on one knee with an engagement ring in my hand...Someone pointed and she turned around and you've never heard a scream like that in your life lol...I asked her to marry me ...was accepted...A week before the wedding she had a massive heart attack and died in my arms....Now the moral of this is to grab what happiness you can with both hands and thank the God you have each other, for you never know whatmight happen tomorrow.... I omitted to say that the first time I saw her at the airport I fell love with her....May you and he always be happy and take care of each other always....Good luck and god bless...

That was such a beautiful story with a very sad ending :(. I am so sorry to hear about your fiancee passing away, that must have been such a horrible thing to go through.

Thank you for sharing and thank you for the well wishes, I really appriciate it.

HeavenOrHell

What a touching story, and so sad, many thanks for sharing. I'm so glad you found each other even if it was only for a short while.

Ross MwcFan

Ah man, beautiful story, wasn't expecting the sad ending. :(

• Author

Ross, I've seen your thread about getting a gift for someone you're meeting for the first time. I don't know if you've met yet but I hope it all goes well for you :)

• 1 month later...

My first encounter with him was like straight from a romantic movie as well.

I felt so nervous and excited while I was waiting for his plane to land. And his flight was late, so my torture was prolonged! :laugh: But when he finally walked through the gate, a big bag on his shoulder, it felt like my breath stopped. I recognized him from the photos he'd sent me (and from webcam), and it felt... unreal to finally see him in real life. Unreal in a good way.

He was smiling, and apologized for being late. Then we hugged. It felt so incredibly good. I was smiling so widely, and feeling happy. And then I just kissed him. I couldn't resist it. He kissed me back, and we stood there, hugging and kissing eachother for the longest time. It was way past midnight, and the small airport was nearly empty.

And then we spent the most amazing three days together. It was even more amazing that I could have wished for. Everything we had felt online was there in real life as well, only stronger.

My advice: be positive. Sometimes you DO get to know a person online so well, that you'll like/love him in the real world. And remember - the other person is most likely as nervous as you. :p

I generally don't meet potential LDR boyfriends until we've been talking for a couple of months. By the time we meet, we are at the very least good friends. Then it's a matter of chemistry.