what is considered a long distance relationship

An hour? Do you mean by car or plane? There's quite a difference. In either case, I would say "no." If you only need to travel an hour to see someone, that's hardly long distance.

Most people on this forum will laugh... I know there are people on here who are doing 9,000 mile intercontinental long distance relationships... Myself, i did a 3,000 mile one for 2 years.

One hour?? You should be lucky.

I live in nothern part of Europe and my boyfriend is in Australia. That´s over 20 hours by plane..

LD, in my opinion is enough distance between the two of you that prevents you from seeing each other on a daily basis.

No, that's not long distance. I wouldn't call it an LDR if people meet once a week either, people are usually too far apart to meet once a week, people in LDR's usually wait weeks or months before seeing their partner again.

An hour?? If only...

My SO is on the other side of the country; we're lucky to see each other every 3 or 4 months. While I loath that we are so far apart, I consider myself fortunate to have the means to see her as often as I do. I really feel for those who are on opposite sides of the world.

LD, in my opinion is enough distance between the two of you that prevents you from seeing each other on a daily basis.

^ this! it annoys me how everyone goes on about what they think a ldr is and if its not in other countries or oppisite sides of a country its not classed as a ldr. if 1-3 hours is a ldr to someone it is to them personally, they may not have lots of money so can't see each other often as what they are used to (going out with someone in the same town).

btw, yes the question is what do you class a ldr.. but ive seen users just put their opinion of what one is randomly in other threads..

Well it is all relative, so I guess those of us who wait weeks or months to see our partners would love to have them live an hour away as we'd be much more likely to see them more often, I doubt couples living an hour away would have to wait more than a week or two, unless they're teenagers and can't afford it, in which case it's unlikely to last anyway as feelings grow and change so much at that age.

I used to be with someone in my country who lived a 3 hour drive away but I didn't think of that as an LDR as we saw each other every week or two.

^ this! it annoys me how everyone goes on about what they think a ldr is and if its not in other countries or oppisite sides of a country its not classed as a ldr. if 1-3 hours is a ldr to someone it is to them personally, they may not have lots of money so can't see each other often as what they are used to (going out with someone in the same town).

btw, yes the question is what do you class a ldr.. but ive seen users just put their opinion of what one is randomly in other threads..

I agree that it is relative. 10 years ago I was in love with a girl who lived north of England (I was in London). It was a 5 hour journey (but and train) and I hated it. We saw each other every two weeks. I was a poor student and couldnt afford more. I thought that was ong distance. Now, with my SO 5000 miles away and a two plane, 14 hour flight (no direct flights to Colombia from London AT ALL!) I would do anything for her to be in the north of the country. With my experience of having her so far away, I would not consider north of the country an LDR anymore.

Our expectations and our perceptions are shaped by our expectations and experiences I think.

Everyone is here for a reason and I am always drawn to people in a similar situation to me. But even LDRs of similar distance have differences I think. I mean, someone could be 5000 miles away from their SO (like me) but they might be able to get a direct flight. Thankfully I live quite close to an airport but someone else inEngland might need to add a 5 hour train journey to get to an airport.

I am not sure I even know what my point is anymore!

T

Interesting points brought up here. I forgot to add in my original post that I was also in a relationship years ago with someone who lived about an hour away from me. At the time, I never considered it long distance as we were able to see each other multiple times every week. I also never gave it a second thought because I'm used to travelling that far (or longer) for school and work. So, I guess it is really all relative based upon your own personal experiences. Now, I would give anything to have my current SO be an hour's drive away. We're about a two hour flight from each other and I still consider myself very lucky to have him that "close" compared to what others have to deal with.

I'd say... If regularly costs more than $250 to get there, or is more than 2.5 hours away (by car or plane), then it's long-distance.

I'd say... If regularly costs more than $250 to get there, or is more than 2.5 hours away (by car or plane), then it's long-distance.

This makes me feel good. :)

hmmmmmmmmm how about 86.3 miles that takes 1.5 hrs

We did mainly only weekends for 4 plus years. I must add that for the first 3 years, I was on call as a part time employee, and started work at 6 am, working every Sat as a given. He is also not an early am person......so the weekend only pattern was est. He did most of the driving as I had a teenage daughter, so he came Saturday when I got off work....say early afternoon. I went to his house if she had plans or if I arranged for her to stay at a friends. Every weekend though, plus holidays, longer if possible, summer vacations, etc. Luckily we both had all major holidays off. When my daughter went to college, we changed to 2 weekends at each others house in a row, as I still work every other Sat.

So, 60,000 miles on his truck in 4.5 years, and every weekend............without one trace of regret, or mistrust, then out of the blue, when we were planning to finally get to be together (moving in, both driving halfway until I could transfer as he has a much better job)....

and he went out on me...........and I found out

I can't wrap my head around it...............lovely Christmas, years of waiting, planning, anticipating, then WHAM!